Healthy Breakfast Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So many great recipes! I want to give a lot of these a try-- the article said that eating breakfast was good for you since it jump starts your metabolism.

Oats - raw - they are slower to digest and sustain me longer through the day.

I add dried fruit, fresh fruit and nuts in various combinations to the bowl.

Then pour milk over it. Or occasionally yogurt.

LL

Oats - raw - they are slower to digest and sustain me longer through the day.

I add dried fruit, fresh fruit and nuts in various combinations to the bowl.

Then pour milk over it. Or occasionally yogurt.

LL

:)That is a European favorite (Muesli) I make a big batch ahead of time with raw oats. toasted nuts all kinds of dried fruit some brown sugar and cinnamon I like vanilla soy milk or a fruit yogurt on mine and fresh fruit if I have it.

some plain nonfat probiotic yoghurt with a crunched up a shredded wheat biscuit (thingie?) and some raspberries or whatever I have at hand.
Brilliant, because all I need is a bowl and spoon- no other mess whatsoever, which is great for the small bit of time I have between getting up and going to class.

it ends up at about 150 calories, 10 g protein and 4g fiber which isn't bad for such a small breakfast. Not to worry, I usually have a snack before lunch. Many little meals are better than fewer bigger ones after all.

I gotta say, I lived in New York for three months in the summer of 07 and I could NOT find any plain nonfat (or rather, 0.1%fat) yoghurt that did not contain pectin. very Odd. The yoghurt I buy here has 0.1 fat and is thick and creamy, and this without pectin. And it doesn't have that weird solidified quality, as if you could cut it into wobbling, jelly-like cubes.
I also could not find Nestle (which is General Mills in the states I think) shredded wheat, which is a shame because it is the only such thing that is made ONLY from wholegrain wheat. no joke, no other ingredients whatsoever, I love that about it.

speaking of breakfast things, it always irks me when I see "fortified with iron" on breakfast cereals because I myself am iron anaemic and I know that you can't absorb iron very well if you're having it with milk, so really, you could not pick a worse type of food to "fortify with iron" than a breakfast cereal.

:)That is a European favorite (Muesli) I make a big batch ahead of time with raw oats. toasted nuts all kinds of dried fruit some brown sugar and cinnamon I like vanilla soy milk or a fruit yogurt on mine and fresh fruit if I have it.

I don't make it ahead of time, just dump into the bowl from various containers, so every day is a little different depending on what I grab. I've never added spices, might have to try that! Generally I don't have any added sugar with it, either. The fruit adds enough sweet to it and I don't want a sugar high first thing in the morning. Well, ok, most of the time... ;)

For those mornings when I want the sugar buzz, I whip up some scones or muffins, or something decadent.

LL

Back
Top Bottom