"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Goodweed is wise like the Buddha!

My addition is to be careful and sensitive to how drastic your changes are to the rest of your family. I tried to do a 180 on a dime with my eating habits, and failed. What have I done? Slowly weaned (sp?) myself of soda/pop. I have one on occassion, but I'm pretty much a milk and water kinda guy, and maybe some fruit juice on occassion. Speaking of milk, I've slowly migratged myself to skim milk versus growing up on whole milk. I'll indulge in a whole milk drink on rare occassion (or even a Caribou Coffee Campfire Mocha with half & half! ), and really don't have any quams with 2% or 1%, but I've learned to drink skim. The other step has been to cut down on the intake. I am a big eater, but I have been working on cutting my portions down from over-indulgence to being almost full. This has constituted in cutting my portions almost in half.

Mind you, I'm not in great athletic shape, but I saw a friend of mine over the holidays I hadn't seen for a while, and he said I'd trimmed down quite a bit, and he guessed I lost some 20 pounds! Frankly, I don't know, but **** it felt good to hear!

My point, before I ramble on more, is to keep an open mind as you go. Going from an unhealthy eating lifestyle to a healthier one can be tough. Be sensitive to your body as well as those you cook for regarding the transition of diet. Don't push yourself (or your family) too hard or too far. Realize that healthy food is going to taste different, arguably bland, until you learn some of the aforementioned methods of keeping flavorful cuisine while maintaining a healthy diet.

Best of luck from another in similar shoes, trying to live healthier!

Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Master Chef

Big Dog, you definitely get karma for that last post. And kudos to you for changing your own lifestyle.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Senior Cook

how about a fruitplate
Old 02-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

Eat half what you usually would, and save the rest for lunch the next day.

Chew your food slowly and enjoy every bit...it will take less to fill you up.

Don't eat anything white...no white bread, white rice, white potatoes.

Drink skim milk.

Your total consumption of protein (meat) per day should be no larger than a pack of cigarettes.

Trim fat from your diet as much as possible.

Get up and walk.

Allow yourself a treat once in a while. Just don't get carried away.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
Master Chef

If you want to get a "creamy" texture to soups and sauces (but aren't supposed to have the dairy), add some instant mashed potato flakes to the liquid. Ironic, isn't it? I've always cooked healthy (it is the way I was raised), but "healthy" has come to mean different things over the years. I started out trying to avoid cream because hubby had heart issues. So went to using the potato flakes. Now there's diabetes. We're back to cream (OK, milk), because the diabetes is more likely to damage him than heart disease is. Maybe we know a little too much. I am honestly at the point where I think I'd rather die than have a life without good food.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Master Chef

Claire, you can make a very decent white sauce with skim milk. It just takes a little longer to thicken.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

Claire, my old freind, you can also use silken tofu to replace the cream or potato flakes as a thickening agent. Just remember that it does have a flavor and so will need to be used with prudence.

I have used it instead of a roux when making cream of mushroom soup. The result was quite nice. In addition, Soy milk makes a great substitute for milk and egg when making egg nog. It is a touch thinner, but the flavor when mixed with Splenda and nutmeg in nearly identical to the original.

Try a little sliken tofu in fruit smoothies as well. It's almost like drinking a fruit shake, epecially when banana is added for its creamy texture.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #18
Head Chef

I love your posts Goodweed, they are so informative and wise (as someone else stated :-))

Take babysteps and get rid of one thing at a time

Less refined sugar and more complex carbohydrates than simple. For example instead of milk shakes, make a smoothie with skim milk and fruit without adding any sugar or as little as possible. Soda loaded with sugar should be first to go. Fresh fruits should be offered as a dessert alternative to kids.

Try and use healthy oils for cooking (olive, canola) rather than shortening, lard and other animal fat products. It's a simple change and not much of a flavor difference but will certainly make you healthy.

Replace cream, butter and other high fat ingredients with fresh herbs and spices. Remember no calories but a lot of flavor so you don't miss the fat.

Reduce fried foods or eliminate them if possible from your diet. Will not happen overnight but pan frying and baking are good options to consider
Old 02-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I'm sorry, but the glycemic index is so screwed up that it is almost totally useless. It is based on the idea of the consumption of one particular food item raising the blood sugar level a certain amount compared to the ingestion of pure sugar. Unfortunately you very seldom sit down and gorge yourself on one food item. You normally ingest carbohydrates, proteins, and fats together when you eat a meal, which renders the glycemic index of each individual food item useless. Proteins, fats and, especially, fiber slow down the absorption of the sugars into which carbohydrates are broken down in the digestive tract.

Now, if you want some really good, reasonable recipes that maintain an excellent balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats, emphasizing the good fats and good carbohydrates, get yourself a subscription to Cooking Light magazine. If you go to the COOKING LIGHT web site, you can get two free trial issues. I am not only a multi-year subscriber, but I have given gift subscriptions to at least 6 friends, and they have all chosen to re-subscribe.