"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Healthy Dinner Ideas! HELP!

Hello everyone. Once again i'm up asking for recipes. Being new to the cooking scene and inheriting my mother's knack for cooking nice fattening foods, My hubby has begged me to research out some more healthy ideas for dinner. We have a five year old so of course I must keep him in mind too. I've gained a bit of weight over the year or so and i'm ready to shed it, but still enjoy my nightly time with the family. Any ideas? I have one of the worst sweet tooth problems, too. My mother and I are so much alike!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals are very healthy, low in fat and most of the time, low in carbs. Check out her website for her recipes. I've made about 5 of her recipes and they are tried and true delicious. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_tm

Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
P.S. Juan-Carlos Cruz, "Calorie Commando", has some great healthy recipes as well. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cv I'll keep searching some more recipes for you. What kind of foods do you prefer?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

A much healthier approach for dessert:
Peel & core a three apples (one for each of you). Set each in it's own bowl. (Dessert dish size). Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger on top of each. Inside the core, put a small amount of butter (like maybe 1 tsp). Drizzle a bit of lemon juice on top of each one. Microwave the dishes till the apples are pretty soft. If you MUST top it with something, try 1 Tbsp. of lite vanilla ice cream or 1 Tbsp of lite whipped cream.

Another quick alternative to dessert: cut up an assortment of fresh berries and serve with one or two small gingersnap cookies.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Put a chicken or two into the crock pot, pour a cup of chicken broth over, and add a couple of Tbsp of lemon juice, and then a Tbsp or 2 of rubbed sage and a few shakes of pepper. Top with minced garlic. Add as many veggies as you'd like and cook on low 7 or 8 hours.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all your ideas!!! Really, we are open to any kind of food. The boys like Italian, but will try anything! So, i'm open to try a variety of things! Thanks for all your help, again.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

whole wheat pasta with veggies that you've sauteed in olive oil, (artichokes, zucchini, swt. onion, garlic, bell peppers, etc.)
bean soup, multigrain bread w/ a little butter or olive oil on it. if you keep the amount of sodium in check & avoid using bacon in it.
black beans, broiled/grilled chicken with lemon, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder & ground sage. lemon on the plates to squeeze on during the meal and green veggies.
fruit. whole grains when you they suit your meal.
broiled fish, grn. veggies, salads with lean meats and olive oil vinagrettes.
hummus on hearty bread. fat-free milk, yogurts, fruits, etc.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:12 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Welcome to DC, ANewCook!

Soup, base your soups on clear stocks (especially vegetable or tinned tomatoes), skip the cream and use an assortment of veggies. If you like creamy soups but want to scale back the fat content, puree vegetable soups such as pea, bean or sweet potato. They are lovely this way and much creamier than if left in whole pieces of vegetable.

One that I've been eating this month is a sort of very mock chilli. Take a can of tomato pork and beans (I use the kind without the actual pork), add a pinch of taco seasoning (like maybe 1/2-1 tsp), a little bit of chilli flakes and some green onions. I like to dip wholewheat or grainery bread into this and serve it with raw veggies.

Fruit and homemade low fat frozen yogurt are great desserts. I also find that dried fruit or vanilla rice milk can help to curb a craving for something much sweeter like chocolate cake.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
stir fry with lots of fresh vegetables are always a tasty, wholesome, satisfying option.
You can play with different type of vegetables, also with wild rice, rice noodles, or my recent favourite quinoa or amaranth.
For flavours you can also vary it, it is delicious with some indian(with garam masala, turmeric, cardamom, ginger etc.) or mexican(chili powder, cumin) touch, or italian herbs with a little tomato sauce etc. There are so many ways to enjoy it!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

There is this wonderful thing called the glycemic index. It shows the carbohydrate load of literally hundreds of foods on your body. To many carbs stress your pancrease, increase fat production, and decrease body energy. It can also result in type-II diabetes. Too much red meat and fat also contribute to this fast growing condition.

A healthy diet doesn't leave you hungry, and will satisfy your craving for everything. For instance, a moderate portion of meat (doesn't really matter whether it's fish, poultry, beef, lamb, pork, etc.), about 3 ounces, combined with a nutritions veggie (can be anything from a sweet potatoe, to squash, to cabbage, or leafy lettuce), some dairy (a glass of reduced-fat milk, cottage cheese, slices of good cheese, yogurt, etc), and a whole grain diner roll or slice of whole-grain bread, with our without butter, or olive oil, finishing up with a piece of cantaloupe or other fruit, will give you a ballanced and satisfying meal.

The key to good nutrition is deceptively simple. Eat a bunch of different things, all in small amounts. Eat inelligent portions, and prepare without a lot of extra fat or salt. Use flavorings such as herbs and spices to add zest to the foods.

If you're cooking with cheese, use a sharp, strongly flavored variety so that you can use less and still achieve the flavor you want.

Don't give up on things like chocolate, or cake, or pies (insert you favorite indulgent food here), but eat sparingly, and not all the time.

Lastly, move that body. The more you move it, the healthier it will be. And possibly the behavior that is more ignored than any other, or at least isn't in the limelight as much, get 7 to eight continuous hours of sleep every night, and on a regular schedule. This will increase your mental alertness, allow your body to heal itself from everyday stresses, and boost your energy levels so that you can perform better in all aspects of your life.

Good health isn't a matter of following fads, or the South Beach Diet, or...
It's a matter of living intelligently, all the time.

And I won't preach that alcohol is bad (beer and other alcoholic drinks also place significant carbohydrate loads on your body), or that cigarettes kill. Everyone knows that alcohol is a poison to the body. Everyone knows the dangers of tobaco. So use your own judgement and act accordingly.

Don't let food or life control you. Choose the life you want and empower yourself to take control of your own future. And believe prescious little of what advertisors are trying to sell you. They want to make a profit, and will mislead you in order to do it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote