"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Breakfast idea

I recently began a regiment to loose weight the beginning of this year. Instead of finding something to loose most in a week or two I felt it healthier for me to lose slowly. To date I have lost 50 pounds with the help of nutrionist. My struggle too was with breakfast because I knew I needed to eat but but everything I knew before was not healthy.

Here is my suggestion for 1 meal that quick and healthy..

- Take 1 slice of whole wheat bread and toast in toaster
- Place 1 egg (or egg beater) and scamble into a small bowl.
- Place egg into microwave and cook 30 seconds
- Remove, turn over and microwave another 20 seconds (*)
- Place egg on toast
- Pour salsa on top (as much as you like because there's no fat & only 20 caloris per Tbl).
- (*)Depending on how much calories & fat your considering you could also place 1 slice of 2% cheese in the seond cooking of the egg.

This meal is very good and filling. Finish of with a banana and 8 oz. 1% milk.

manspointofview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Welcome to D.C. I'm also new, recently lost weight. Now my BMI (body mass index) is normal. Hooray!

Like you, my breakfast habits were not healthy. I had trouble finding traditional breakfast fare that I enjoyed that was not fat-carb-calorie laden .

Remember breakfast means to break(a)fast. This morning I had 3 oz of roast beef, a couple of slices of tomato and a handful of blueberries...not a nomal breakfast, but a healthy one. Tomorrow I may have peanut butter on wheat toast. Who knows?

Your idea looks like a good one. I like salsa on eggs...as well as a lot of cheese which helped get me into trouble in the first place.

Good Luck with your menus. You sound as though you're doing great!

simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
Another option is Kashi makes waffles. They're great tasting a very healthy. I toast 2 and top with Parkay Fat free butter, then use sugar free syrup. I then also eat 1 cup of frozen fruit by popping it in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Total calories for all - 265
Total fat for all - 3
Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
Master Chef
I have a friends who eats one hard-boiled egg, one banana, and drinks a bottle of V-8 every morning.
He is 68 and looks more like 55.
I am not really a breakfast eating, but I have a cup of yogurt every morning.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
I HAVE to have something that keeps me feeling full so I have to find protien and/or fiber. Oatmeal, with raisins and brown sugar is awesome too and quick to make. When all else fails, grap a Slimfast on the way out the door and eat an apple or banana.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Coffee + Oatmeal + Caffine + Blender = Good high energy drink that will sustain you till lunch
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
A quarter cup of brown sugar for one person! Little too sweet don't you think. Talk about sugar overload.

Considering you already have the sweetness of the cranberries as well as the fairly sweet spices.
1. If you add it all up, it's more like 3 servings, not 1.

2. Cranberries are not sweet, they are quite tart in fact, unless you use dried cranberries (c'raisins).
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
You know, my hubby and I like a baked apple stuffed with raisins, which I do in the micro. sometimes we eat some baked custards which I make ahead and have in the frig. made with skim milk and very little sweetner, all that's there is milk and egg.and about 2 t. sugar, and some vanilla.
xmascarol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
You know how we're always reminded to eat like a king during breakfast, and that breakfast if the most important meal of the day. It also seems to be the meal most easily skipped during the day. I try my best to have a healthy breakfast and eat right. Will be trying these recipes evryone has shared, and pray I won't be skipping anymore breakfasts.
alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i have found that one eggs fried in pam spray, one piece toast with spray marg. two pieces of bacon, micro. a big glass of 2% milk starts the day fine.

i sometimes have rasion bread or sour dough or rye for toast.

you end up with about 400 cal. i sleep late so is really brunch. no lunch and a healthy dinner are all u need.

its the snacks at night that will kill you. lol

babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote