"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 04-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Master Chef
Healthy Low Fat Low Calorie Breakfast Ideas?

I'm not a big breakfast eater but when I do I tend to each a pretty high fat - high calorie one and it never fails I'm starving again in a few hours. Verses if I skip breakfast all together I can not eat till around 2 or 4 in the afternoon.

I plan to start my walking program again since the warm weather is coming back and I want to start eating more healthy.

Anyone care to share low fat - low calorie breakfast ideas?

I'm not a fan of yogurt so thats not an option for myself but may be for others.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Sous Chef
Homemade muesli (or even just good old porridge) is the best answer (never mind granola, most varieties involve cooking the oats to give them that crunch in a coating of vegetable oil). You control what goes in it and it does not have any of the added sugar, oil or salt that the majority of ready-made blends do.

Muesli will help keep you hunger-free for quite a while. This is due to the amounts of fibre, protein and good fats present in the various grains (oats, wheat, barley, rye etc), fruits (either fresh or dried) and nuts/seeds that you can put in it.

The following is a blend that I make in huge batches every so often:

8 large handfuls of rolled oats (not instant)
2 large handfuls of wheatbran (looks like sawdust)
1 handful of chopped dried apricots
1 handful of chopped dried dates
1 handful of crumbled walnuts
1 handful of smashed or chopped almonds, hazelnuts or Brazil nuts

Add the oats and bran to a big plastic plastic container with the apricots and dates. Add the walnuts and your other chosen nuts (I usually bash them up in a tea towel). This stores in a sealed plastic container pretty much indefinitely.

It's best if you make it up for eating the night before. I put about 1/2 a cup in a bowl then pour about the same quantity of milk in and let it sit overnight, covered in the fridge. It softens up the grains and leeches the flavour of the fruit right through the mixture.

In the morning you can add more milk if you think it needs it, or some yoghurt if you are so inclined. You can always put some sliced banana, grated apple or some berries over the top as well. You can also throw it in the microwave and heat it up if you want something to warm you up.

I really would not be worrying about low-calorie breakfasts since your body needs a decent sized meal at the start of the day in order to get it kickstarted, especially when you are considering increasing your activity level. The muesli is not what you would call a 'low-calorie' breakfast, but its incredibly healthy. No refined sugars, added fats or sodium. The wholegrains have a low GI and will keep you satisfied for longer. The good fats in nuts and seeds are extremely beneficial and will also lead to you feeling fuller for longer.

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Eggbeaters omlet with low fat shredded cheddar and a few real bacon bits. Around 250 calories and satisfying as well.

Granted, if you made this dish with real eggs and whole fat cheese, it would taste better, but you asked for low fat and low cal. This is a regular on my breakfast menu.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
Contest Winner
Cottage cheese and fruit is honestly one of the best and easiest breakfasts ever. The combination of good quality, high protein and carbs helps keep you going for awhile and you wont be hungry mid-morning like carb based breakfasts are sometimes known to do.

I like my cottage cheese with pineapple, melon, berries (blueberries are yummiest! and you can use thawed frozen ones if you cant get fresh), or canned peaches or pears. If you use the canned fruits you can mix in a bit of the fruit juice with the cottage cheese for extra flavour. It's really quite good!

Another good idea for breakfast is 1-2 hard boiled eggs and some sort of carbohydrate. A 1/2 bagel with some low fat cream cheese, an english muffin toasted w/ light margarine and jam, or a small pita pocket with some strawberry cream cheese and 1-2 sliced strawberries. Yum!

I think the trick to a good, healthy, sustainable breakfast is one that contains both carbs and protein.
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
Master Chef
Here is my favorite oatmeal recipe.

Cranberry Oatmeal

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup cranberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight bowl until ready to use.

Bring 1 cup water to boil. Add 1 1/4 Cranberry Oatmeal to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes. Cover and remove from heat; let stand for 3 minutes. Makes 1 serving.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Sous Chef
A quarter cup of brown sugar for one person! Little too sweet don't you think. Talk about sugar overload.

Considering you already have the sweetness of the cranberries as well as the fairly sweet spices.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Executive Chef
I fix a hugh bowl of oatmeal weekday mornings for my husband; 1 1/3 cup oats, half milk half water to equal 2 1/2 cups liquid and add 1/8 t. salt at the end. He eats it plain. I must be coaxed with raisins, chocolate chips, or a dab of maple syrup and cinnamon. A small portion of leftovers is always game for me, even pizza. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter smeared on it. I liked that boiled egg idea. A roll with butter heated in the microwave. Breakfasts are our friends, it is good to eat them. And water, lotsa of water before, during and after meals. When I am trying to lose weight, I load up on water and that really depresses my appetite. And those fat items I mentioned; butter, choc chips, peanut better, moderation is the key. The little bit of fat with meals really slows down the digestion process and keeps you full longer.
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef
steel cut oats are excellent and can be made the night before and nuked in the morning. I always think the slow cooked tastes better so I recommend them. A whole grain bagel, a smear of low fat cream cheese, a slice of tomato, and a two oz serving of smoked salmon=a fantastic breafast!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Contest Winner
Originally Posted by Robo410
A whole grain bagel, a smear of low fat cream cheese, a slice of tomato, and a two oz serving of smoked salmon=a fantastic breafast!
Agreed. But for me, I like it sans tomato and with thinly sliced red onion and capers instead. Mmmmm.
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #10
Senior Cook
I've received a lot of good ideas here:
Healthy breakfast ideas

A good trick I've found since was to keep a bunch of fruits on the counter all the time, so I can add something healthy and tasty to my breakfast every morning I try to have some kind of bread or cereal, a fruit and some kind of milk product every morning.

biev is offline   Reply With Quote