"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Cook

Question Healthy meals that kids love???

i need ideas for healthy cooked meals for my 3 years old....

she is not picky at all..and loves healthy food.. she HATES SWEETS AND stuff that all children seem to love ..!

i am so proud of her ..

any ideas for good home made healthy food ?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Cook

Your three year old needs to have a talk with my three year old....

However, my girls love to dip veggies - even the green ones - in salad dressing.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

My grand kids very in food likes and dislike, two of them adore fruits and veggies meat comes in second. They love pasta with my ravioli sauce or just evoo and parm add a little chopped up tomato and basil and they dive in..They do all love homemade chicken strips..I just use chicken tenders, that I dust with flour, then dip in egg, then into panko pat well to seat panko, put in a sprayed baking dish..I do add some melted butter to each strip, espically when one of them is being picky a little salt makes them all happy..Two of them like them plain, two others like ranch...add some green beans with garlic and bacon and they dive right in..EAch one loves some wither French or Italian bread and butter..Put out a plate of carrots,celery, jicama, sliced zucchini, blanched cauliflour and broccoli with ranch dip they fight over it..A platter of watermelon,grapes,apples,cantaloupe,mangoes, strawberries,bluberries, these kids are like buzz saws Oh and they love deviled eggs...
kadesma
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
I have 3 much younger brothers and a 6 year old niece. Some are pickier than others but they all generally like most of these things.

Tortellini tossed with butter - Kids like noodles and plain stuff is my theory on this one .

Homemade chicken fingers as the poster above me :) wrote. My niece is a big fan of chicken nuggets ( probably the frozen variety ) but she eats these up and then at least it's healthier.
Same goes for fries. I usually chop up a few golden fingerling potatoes and a sweet potato and bake them . Of course ketchup or a dip is required.

What I call de-constructed salad . I just chop up the veggies and put them on their plate with a dip , some cheese cubes, cold spiral pasta in dressing , some grapes, strawberries etc.

Mini burgers.

French toast strips .

Tortillas spread with cream cheese, veggie salsa , shredded cheese and chopped in a roll. Sour cream for dipping.

Cheese qusadillas . Massive hit with my brothers and so easy for me to make all at once in the oven on a cookie sheet

Frozen fruit as a snack . They always ask for more.

Healthy muffins always go over well . Especially if you spread something on them . Strawberry perserves , peanut butter etc.

Eggs and Soldiers for breakfast . Easy and quick . Most kids love to dip . ( soft boiled egg with toast cut in strips )

Pancakes with a variety of sliced fresh fruit to top with .
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
Cook

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
My grand kids very in food likes and dislike, two of them adore fruits and veggies meat comes in second. They love pasta with my ravioli sauce or just evoo and parm add a little chopped up tomato and basil and they dive in..They do all love homemade chicken strips..I just use chicken tenders, that I dust with flour, then dip in egg, then into panko pat well to seat panko, put in a sprayed baking dish..I do add some melted butter to each strip, espically when one of them is being picky a little salt makes them all happy..Two of them like them plain, two others like ranch...add some green beans with garlic and bacon and they dive right in..EAch one loves some wither French or Italian bread and butter..Put out a plate of carrots,celery, jicama, sliced zucchini, blanched cauliflour and broccoli with ranch dip they fight over it..A platter of watermelon,grapes,apples,cantaloupe,mangoes, strawberries,bluberries, these kids are like buzz saws Oh and they love deviled eggs...
kadesma
Your grands are so lucky to have you :))))
god bless you ...
your fooood sounds so yummyyyyyyyyy
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Cook

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbysoup View Post
I have 3 much younger brothers and a 6 year old niece. Some are pickier than others but they all generally like most of these things.

Tortellini tossed with butter - Kids like noodles and plain stuff is my theory on this one .

Homemade chicken fingers as the poster above me :) wrote. My niece is a big fan of chicken nuggets ( probably the frozen variety ) but she eats these up and then at least it's healthier.
Same goes for fries. I usually chop up a few golden fingerling potatoes and a sweet potato and bake them . Of course ketchup or a dip is required.

What I call de-constructed salad . I just chop up the veggies and put them on their plate with a dip , some cheese cubes, cold spiral pasta in dressing , some grapes, strawberries etc.

Mini burgers.

French toast strips .

Tortillas spread with cream cheese, veggie salsa , shredded cheese and chopped in a roll. Sour cream for dipping.

Cheese qusadillas . Massive hit with my brothers and so easy for me to make all at once in the oven on a cookie sheet

Frozen fruit as a snack . They always ask for more.

Healthy muffins always go over well . Especially if you spread something on them . Strawberry perserves , peanut butter etc.

Eggs and Soldiers for breakfast . Easy and quick . Most kids love to dip . ( soft boiled egg with toast cut in strips )

Pancakes with a variety of sliced fresh fruit to top with .

GREAT !!!!!!! WOW .... a lot of ideas to ry , thanks :)
Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsKitchenAndStuff View Post
Your three year old needs to have a talk with my three year old....

However, my girls love to dip veggies - even the green ones - in salad dressing.

Hahhahhahaha ill send her for a talk !!!!!

ill try the salad dressing .. thouh i always find her oppening my friedge for
a veggie !!! i wish i were like her !!! i am so much into sweets ..
i am trying to control though !!!! :

anyway ... Have a happy healthy cooking !!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
Master Chef

My younger friends vary a lot in their tastes, but most children I know like macaroni and cheese and to get them to go for veggies, raw with dip. Children in large families like things that appear to be packaged just for them. In other words, a small baggie of veggies for each of a few kids might go over better than a big platter for all three of them. My nephews loved anything you could dip. Fruit with a cool whip (buy the low fat if you're kids have weight issues) or cream cheese based dip (again, you can buy lower fat versions if there's an issue) with almost anything. I had a young friend who had juvenile diabetes, and her mom loved the both my mother and I tended to make stuff without extra sugar in it. They thought we were doing it for our young friend, but in fact, none of us had much of a sweet tooth to begin with. So you simply don't find a lot of sugary snacks around my house, nor chips .... once every week or two I buy a small bag of chips of some kind, the dollar sized little bag at the checkout stand, and my husband and I share it. We just don't keep that stuff around. My parents didn't, my husband's parents didn't. In order to get junk food, it took a special trip. This can help keep your kids healthy.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Healthy Hearvest pasta whole grain and all natural cheese. Instant mac and cheese. Let it soak long enough or it comes out really dry. Down sides: high carb, some salt from cheese otherwise very healthy, very yummy.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Senior Cook

There's a recipe for Everyday Macaroni and Cheese in Cook's Illusrated's The Best Light Recipes that I love. When the weather is cool, we eat it pretty regularly with loads of produce on the side - usually steamed veggies and chilled fresh fruit. We use 2% cheese rather than the 50% reduced fat cheese the recipe calls for, which ups the fat and calories some, but tastes much better. You could use full-fat cheese and it would still be better for you than conventional homemade mac n cheese. I use the Barilla Plus elbow mac. You get creamy mac n cheese with a relatively low ingredient count, no cream, and no butter. I save that stuff for a once-in-a-while indulgence.

Tags
cooking, food, healthy, kids, meals