Healthy Portable Lunch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that may just force him to drive around looking for the perfect burger all day! That guy is gonna eat come h--- or high water so I best have some control over it!

want to be on a diet

[FONT=&quot]Hello, I am 18 years old college girl and little overweight. I think I have to loose at least 20 pounds. So I really want to be on a diet and loose that weight. In the coming summer I want to go swimming in a bikini without being worried about what other people are thinking of my stomach. I want to be toned up but don’t want to go to the gym. Please help. Any diets that have worked and you have kept the weight off. I have already tried the weight watchers point diet but put the weight back on while I was still on the diet.[/FONT]

Welcome to DC xboxchamp593!! What I have always found with losing weight is to not go on a "diet" per se but to look at your eating habits and changing the way you eat in terms of nutrition, work on everything in moderation and sometimes as to when you eat. Start with a food diary (being brutally honest), recording not just what and how much you have eaten but when you ate it. It can also be benefitial to record what you were doing prior to eating and what you were feeling (stressed, rushed, happy). Also consider your fluid intake as that has a lot of hidden calories (in most instances).

But also don't be unrealistic in your goals as that will set you back mentally when you don't reach it. You don't have to answer this, but are you sure you need to lose 20 lbs? Are you really overweight or just lack toning? Perception can be wrong you know. Just something to think about rather than needing a response here.

Oh and don't forget to fit exercise into whatever "diet" you choose.

Good luck!

Brown rice is also good as it's filling and low GI. (if he likes brown rice - a lot of people don't). Then you can cook a big pot at the beginning of the week and mix it with eg low fat coronation chicken salad. chicken caesar salad, bean and turkey salad etc. Should probably not be too difficult to drive if he eats it with a spoon.

xbox-I have tried tons of diets, cutting back on carbs and exercise worked for me, but is not for everyone, No matter what diet you try you have to increase your activity. as far as your tummy, crunches, sit ups and leg lifts help. Believe me it's not easy and takes determination and hard work.

Last edited:
Welcome xbox. Just to clarify, by not going to the gym, you are still up for running, jogging, or even swimming correct? If not then I don't believe your goals to be realistic.

I would just eat in moderation, pretty much anything you eat in moderation (besides fast food) will help you attain your goal when combined with exercise. A good rule of thumb for losing weight is "don't eat until you are full, only eat until you are not hungry." I wouldn't worry about counting anything, takes too much time and effort that could better be spend walking around the block.

Now back to getting ideas of what to bring for lunch next week :)

Yeah I'm with Hawkeye.
Eat with your brain, excercise the same.
I didn't start this thread about eating and refusing to move.
NO, that was not snotty.

hi xbox i haven't tried to diet at all but i have heard from many friends and colleagues that the southbeach diet practically works as long as you stick to it. also, i would have to agree with the other people here that it is very important for you to move your body to shed off those unwanted lbs. diet should go with proper exercise.;)

Not on the low cal end, but I could eat peanut butter noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 24/7.

They are usually served at room temp or cool.

I might start thinking Asian cooking. Beef with broccoli, that sort of thing. Just Google for recipes.

:)How about burritos a breakfast burrito can be filled with chili,scrambled eggs.fried potatoes or not cheese and either bacon,sausage or ham.A lunch burrito can be filled with with burrito fillings that is up to you it could be classic burrito filled with meat and cheese or beans and cheese or other things.There is this little heater type thing that heats food powered by cigarette lighter or he can can put it wrapped in foil on trucks manifold like my DH does to get a piping hot burrito wrapped in foil frozen till done on his ranch truck a semi might need good placement so it does not just burn up.
Just a thought.

Lots of healthier things to take.
Lean meats with cheese in a roll up. Stick a dill pickle in the middle...

Lettuce wraps instead of bread.

Use the low calorie, high fiber breads(some are GREAT!!) and lean meats.

Make Vegetable sandwiches(Radish with heart healthy butter and sea salt is one of my favs...) served on Mrs Smith 35 cal. per slice 7 grain... yummy..(tomatoes, cucumber, sweet onion also work well).

Pita pocket sandwiches lean meats, sprouts, etc... tasty.

SUSHI!!!!! Get pre-made Sushi to go at a good supermarket...

Salads are very portable...

fruits and vegetables raw...

Cereal in a ziplock. You can even put in dried milk then just add ice cold water, shake and eat...

I understand how your husband feels. I also pack my own lunch everyday and it does get boring. But here are some suggestions that might help. I will try to think of more.

1. Pack individual serving cups of cottage cheese, applesauce, etc. I also like to eat the sugar free pudding cups.

2. Go to Trader Joe's or a health food store and buy different types of trail mixes or nuts. Divide them single size servings in reclosable storage bags. Great for eating while driving.

3. Tortilla chips and salsa would be great for times when he stops and takes a break.

4. Bagel spread with cream cheese and pesto with smoked turkey and a slice of tomato.

just a thought

i really think, whatever u make for him sounds good.

don't see how ten mins. stopping to eat is such a big deal. much safer for him and other people on the road.

i am sure he will enjoy his food more. probably will lost some pounds simply cause he won't be mindlessly stuffing food. in his mouth.

babe

Last edited:
don't see how ten mins. stopping to eat is such a big deal. much safer for him and other people on the road.
Mainly because when you have to pay for your own breaks (as in subcontractor payments), 10 mins a day becomes nearly a full hour in a five-day week, which while it may not seem like a lot, can make a huge difference to some, esp when you take it over the course of a year. A lot of drivers I know, don't eat lunch for that reason, don't take holidays and work when they are sick.

Your second point is of course very valid and drivers of all sorts should take rests/breaks at regular intervals. But most don't. Truckies here are now meant to have log books that indicate when they have taken breaks. No break, big trouble. (In theory of course!!)

Thanks Bilby for that.
Please trust that the majority of truck drivers are very safe people, and drive better than alot of "plain folks"
They have to live on the road, being safe is the most important part of that. He is not risking anyone's life to eat his lunch....

I make my own bento sometimes.

Get a Zojurushi "Mr. Bento". You can store hot soup (I usually bring osuimono), warm rice and okazu (accompaniments), and then cold stuff up on top. It's like a big thermos.

If he's not into seafood, put some soup he likes on the bottom, rice or pasta in the "warm" container, steamed veggies in the "warm" container, and then other stuff up top.

Back
Top Bottom