"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #31
Executive Chef

How about burritos a breakfast burrito can be filled with chili,scrambled eggs.fried potatoes or not cheese and either bacon,sausage or ham.A lunch burrito can be filled with with burrito fillings that is up to you it could be classic burrito filled with meat and cheese or beans and cheese or other things.There is this little heater type thing that heats food powered by cigarette lighter or he can can put it wrapped in foil on trucks manifold like my DH does to get a piping hot burrito wrapped in foil frozen till done on his ranch truck a semi might need good placement so it does not just burn up.
Just a thought.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Is a breakfast burrito and a lunch burrito the same except for the choice of fillings or do you use a different wrap for them??

Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Is a breakfast burrito and a lunch burrito the same except for the choice of fillings or do you use a different wrap for them??
Yep,its the same.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #34
Head Chef

Lots of healthier things to take.
Lean meats with cheese in a roll up. Stick a dill pickle in the middle...

Lettuce wraps instead of bread.

Use the low calorie, high fiber breads(some are GREAT!!) and lean meats.

Make Vegetable sandwiches(Radish with heart healthy butter and sea salt is one of my favs...) served on Mrs Smith 35 cal. per slice 7 grain... yummy..(tomatoes, cucumber, sweet onion also work well).

Pita pocket sandwiches lean meats, sprouts, etc... tasty.

SUSHI!!!!! Get pre-made Sushi to go at a good supermarket...

Salads are very portable...

fruits and vegetables raw...

Cereal in a ziplock. You can even put in dried milk then just add ice cold water, shake and eat...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Yep,its the same.
Thanks!!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #36
Master Chef

I understand how your husband feels. I also pack my own lunch everyday and it does get boring. But here are some suggestions that might help. I will try to think of more.

1. Pack individual serving cups of cottage cheese, applesauce, etc. I also like to eat the sugar free pudding cups.

2. Go to Trader Joe's or a health food store and buy different types of trail mixes or nuts. Divide them single size servings in reclosable storage bags. Great for eating while driving.

3. Tortilla chips and salsa would be great for times when he stops and takes a break.

4. Bagel spread with cream cheese and pesto with smoked turkey and a slice of tomato.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

just a thought

i really think, whatever u make for him sounds good.

don't see how ten mins. stopping to eat is such a big deal. much safer for him and other people on the road.

i am sure he will enjoy his food more. probably will lost some pounds simply cause he won't be mindlessly stuffing food. in his mouth.

babe
Old 12-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
don't see how ten mins. stopping to eat is such a big deal. much safer for him and other people on the road.
Mainly because when you have to pay for your own breaks (as in subcontractor payments), 10 mins a day becomes nearly a full hour in a five-day week, which while it may not seem like a lot, can make a huge difference to some, esp when you take it over the course of a year. A lot of drivers I know, don't eat lunch for that reason, don't take holidays and work when they are sick.

Your second point is of course very valid and drivers of all sorts should take rests/breaks at regular intervals. But most don't. Truckies here are now meant to have log books that indicate when they have taken breaks. No break, big trouble. (In theory of course!!)
Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Thanks Bilby for that.
Please trust that the majority of truck drivers are very safe people, and drive better than alot of "plain folks"
They have to live on the road, being safe is the most important part of that. He is not risking anyone's life to eat his lunch....
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #40
Senior Cook

I make my own bento sometimes.

Get a Zojurushi "Mr. Bento". You can store hot soup (I usually bring osuimono), warm rice and okazu (accompaniments), and then cold stuff up on top. It's like a big thermos.

If he's not into seafood, put some soup he likes on the bottom, rice or pasta in the "warm" container, steamed veggies in the "warm" container, and then other stuff up top.