"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

enjoy your "cheat day" it shouldn't hurt your diet at all. just make sure u get back on track on mon. this from someone that needs to lose 30 pounds. lol i know how to do it, just don't do it.

babe

Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Head Chef

I have to lose 30 lbs too babe.. I am 190 and 5'7.. I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale.. I'd like to lose 40-45. I worked in an office where there was always a food temptation until january, so I put on alot of weight there.. ugh.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Master Chef

i'm thin & healthy & indulge often enough to keep my stomach from growling.
i say, indulge Sundays if you want!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

If it means that it'll be easier for you to stick to a healthy diet every other day, I say go for it. You only live once, why torture yourself? :D

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your next Sunday dinner. :)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Go walking everyday....Even on "cheat' day

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsuma View Post
You only live once, why torture yourself? :D
Because you want to make the 'once' last as long as possible?
Besides, eating healthfully, in the correct proportions, is not torture, unless you're some kind of a glutton.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

I agree that a cheat day can still be healthy. Healthy food does not mean nasty food. I was talking to my sister the other day, and we did not know we were being raised healthy. Mom taught me that every meal should have as many colors of the rainbow as possible. I was astonished when the military stationed me in North Dakota, and the local folk pretty much only ate food that was white or gray. The man who ran the chow hall used to call me up on occasion. "Claire, I heard you made a great XXXX; let's talk, how can I make it for 100 guys?" Just think color, reallly. But mostly, the fact that you are making a meal for your loved ones overwhelms almost anything you can do negatively. Just make sure there is a good salad and veggie (and I don't mean corn or peas, they count more as a starch). I had a guy who sold me veggies in Florida who thought I was a vegetarian! No ... I was just raised that every meal should have green (not boiled to death gray), and red or orange (no, not candied). Include that in your meal and you'll be OK.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I have to lose 30 lbs too babe.. I am 190 and 5'7.. I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale.. I'd like to lose 40-45. I worked in an office where there was always a food temptation until january, so I put on alot of weight there.. ugh.
One of the easiest first steps to losing fat is to eliminate all the refined carbs in your diet. Stick to whole grains, fruits and veggies only for you carbs. If you're not gonna do anything else, do at least that. If you are willing to do other things and are serious, your diet should be as clean as possible. Most fats should be healthy fats, proteins should be lean. Cardio activity at least 20 minutes a day 4-5 days a week, and some kind of weight or resistance training 3-4 days a week. This is for starters.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm certainly taking some of the advise here. I've gained over 30 pounds since I stayed home and I hate it. I'm to blame since I've really let go of myself with not enough exercise and not really watching what I eat. Once we get home from vacation, I'm starting my walking, weight lifting and healthy eating. Sigh...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #20
Master Chef

Changing your diet and exercising more are both key and important. Volumes are written on both so I won't go into all the details. But a couple of tips that have helped me and my wife over time:
Take the stairs not the elevator (I employ the 4 floor rule, anything above the 4th floor I am taking the elevator!)
If you work somewhere that has bike trails or is a bike friendly area (like here in Chicago we have a bike lane) then take your car part way to work, and ride your bike the rest of the way to work. That one also helps to burn off any aggravation after a day in the office and you will be amazed how quickly you get back to your car!
Working with your doctor and sharing your daily routine, you can work up a calorie chart to help you determine what your appropriate intake is. Then, use this guideline to 'save' up a few calories during the week to splurge on your Sunday cheat day so it has less impact.
Drink lots of water, I don't know why that one works or the mechanics around it, but it seems to help. Just remember when you step on the scale that water is still in you.
Weight yourself at the same time each day, we always do it first thing in the morning, well second thing in the morning, potty comes first. This will give you more consistent readings day by day.
And there is probably a billion more of these, but don't try em all at once!! You will overload. First do one thing, then when you have it down pat and 'routine' move on to the next. Patients and the turtle win over the rabbit every time if you are looking for long term permanent weight loss.