"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help gaining weight - 72 year old mom under 100 lbs

Hi everyone,

My mom has some sort of infection (that even the head of infectious diseases at Toronto Hospital can't figure out!) and it is makeing her lose weight - her weight is actually steady now that she has been in teh hopsital for 3 weeks (she is out now!) and on antibiotics - but for a woman who always celebrated when she hit 100 lbs and was around 90-100 lbs, she is not gaining any more weight and has been at 84 lbs for months now. She is 5'6 and believe it or not she wears a 12/14 pant - so she has the structure but no muscle tone or flesh really - and she has always been like that - the doctors told her that since she didn't gain any weight when pregnant with me 38 years ago that she should be prepared that I would be born stillborn! Little did they know I would be a 250 lb 5'9 woman as an adult LOL!

She is 72, Scots background and doesn't like a lot of fattening foods - what can she eat that is easy to make (she has very low energy), high calorie, calorie-dense food that is not sickenly sweet or super rich??

I need help!

We went to visit a while back and I got her all kinds of homemade scotch pies and sausage rolls by a scots baker, dark chocolate and other treats such as shortbread...she is eating it...but has a hard time as she is super stressed and tense all the time, has a super high metabolism and doesn't have a great appetite even when well.

And according to charts I have seen, she needs a min of 1500 cals a day to maintain her weight and 2000 to gain (what they say) a lb a week - and for my mom, that would be more like a lb a month.

Thanks for any and all help!

Tara

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

have you tried ensure or benecalorie?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Since your mom is being treated by a doctor, I recommend you consult that doctor for food advice for your mom. Only a doctor who understands your mom's condition and the medications she is taking can recommend a diet for her.

A group of strangers who have never see your or your mom (us here at DC), no matter how well meaning, cannot hope to offer the best advice and may unintentionally do harm.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

What does she like to eat?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Sous Chef

What Andy said... bug/slap the doctor until you get the information you need.

Bob
Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Tara,

I have to agree with Andy M here and Casper. Doctors don't seem to realize that people need a bit more guidance than simply being told someone needs to eat a certain amount of calories a day when they have other apparent health issues. There's protein that can be added to things like mashed potatoes and soups, but, a dietitian needs to give you some information and guidelines on all this stuff.

Sure, we can tell you about what we know. Luvs and others (and me included) are going to mention ensure and other products like that. Your Mom cannot live on liquid products alone.

You need to know what some high energy, high calorie foods are. You might want to get them to recommend a book...or what to look for in a recipe or, even what to add to a recipe to make it more bulky.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Everymom

Tara, call a dietician. They will be of immense help to you. My best suggestion is to get her eating nuts. Lots of them. Buy her the blue bag of trail mix at Costco. Cheap and lots of good nutrition that is easy to grab. Nuts of any kind are a healthy food that is pretty calorie dense.

Try omelettes. You can have all kinds of stuff on hand, they are easy, quick and eggs are a good hit of protein for her.

Make up some spaghetti sauce and freeze it in smaller containers, then all she has to do is boil water for pasta and heat up small portions of sauce.

Chili with loads of beans. Again, freezable in smaller portions for ease of cooking.

Baked potatoes in the microwave with piles of grated cheese and chives and bacon bits.

Sausages are easy to have on hand, she can do a couple of potatoes in the microwave and shes got a quick meal there too.

Hope some of those help.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
have you tried ensure or benecalorie?
Yup - ensure - but not sure what benecalorie is!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Since your mom is being treated by a doctor, I recommend you consult that doctor for food advice for your mom. Only a doctor who understands your mom's condition and the medications she is taking can recommend a diet for her.

A group of strangers who have never see your or your mom (us here at DC), no matter how well meaning, cannot hope to offer the best advice and may unintentionally do harm.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the note, but the doctors are not giving her any advice except to eat as much as possible - high calorie foods - they haven't even given her a calorie counter etc etc.

No one can do harm here by suggesting food that is high calorie - she is 100% healthy except for her weight at this point - and with the fear of having the infection return and her tiredness, at this point, she can eat anything!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Tara, call a dietician. They will be of immense help to you. My best suggestion is to get her eating nuts. Lots of them. Buy her the blue bag of trail mix at Costco. Cheap and lots of good nutrition that is easy to grab. Nuts of any kind are a healthy food that is pretty calorie dense.

Try omelettes. You can have all kinds of stuff on hand, they are easy, quick and eggs are a good hit of protein for her.

Make up some spaghetti sauce and freeze it in smaller containers, then all she has to do is boil water for pasta and heat up small portions of sauce.

Chili with loads of beans. Again, freezable in smaller portions for ease of cooking.

Baked potatoes in the microwave with piles of grated cheese and chives and bacon bits.

Sausages are easy to have on hand, she can do a couple of potatoes in the microwave and shes got a quick meal there too.

Hope some of those help.
Thanks Alix - I will see about a dietician - I am sure when she was in hopsital she had one - but they couldn't get her to gain weight either...

I will call a few of them and see what other opinions there are...

Thanks everyone...