"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Help - Lactose Intolerence

My daughter has developed an intolerance for dairy. She loves dairy products. Especially milk and cheese. She likes Silk and I've found come vegan butter, but I'm looking for help.

What other non-dairy alternatives are out there?

Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Senior Cook

i'm lactose intolerant as well... it's just a minor inconvenience.

first, go to wal-mart and buy some lactose enzyme pills... there are namebrands and generics.

for milk, there are brands made just for people with lactose intolerance. for butter, i use ghee... and i get it from purityfarms; it is totally organic and lactose free.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a dairy allergy. A dairy allergy produces allergic reactions. Lactose intolerance is caused by your body's inability to produce Lactase, the enzyme needed to digest Lactose, the sugar in milk. What results is that the Lactose ferments in your system, instead of being digested, resulting in gas, bloating, etc. 70% of the population of the planet is Lactose intolerant to some degree. Heck, I am. I just have to stay away from foods containing dehydrated dairy products, especially Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff, Cheetos, Doritos, etc.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

There are varying degrees of lacotose intolerance too. I am and I can eat cultured products like buttermilk, cottage cheese, yogurts and some cheeses. I cannot however eat things like alfredo sauce - instant belly ache. I think it is the high fat content with the heavy milk.

I have simply avoided milk products. I don't eat cold cereal so that is not a concern. If I bake, I use water or buttermilk, if possible.

I have a terrible time with the dehydrated products because I think they are made from whey. Whey causes me terrible gas and pain.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
there are lots of dairy substitutes available for vegetarians. I use veggie slices for cheese. They come in cheddar, american, and pepper jack. If you look at health food stores you should be able to find plenty of dairy substitutes.

Erin
erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady C
There are varying degrees of lacotose intolerance too. I am and I can eat cultured products like buttermilk, cottage cheese, yogurts and some cheeses. I cannot however eat things like alfredo sauce - instant belly ache. I think it is the high fat content with the heavy milk.

I have simply avoided milk products. I don't eat cold cereal so that is not a concern. If I bake, I use water or buttermilk, if possible.

I have a terrible time with the dehydrated products because I think they are made from whey. Whey causes me terrible gas and pain.
We know that she has a problem with milk. I want to completely remove dairy from her diet and then introduce things, one by one to see how she reacts.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
We know that she has a problem with milk. I want to completely remove dairy from her diet and then introduce things, one by one to see how she reacts.
The title of the thread is 'lactose intolerance.' Does she have a problem with milk or with lactose? The two are not synonomous. There's plenty of milk products that contain little to no lactose.

When you start introducing foods, introduce butter first. Butter contains almost no lactose. If she can tolerate it, it'll taste so much superior to vegan butter. If she can't tolerate it, it will tell you, with absolute certainty, that she can't handle any form of dairy whatsoever.

There's always soy cheese. I would give it to her very gradually as it's casein (milk protein) based.

If you've got the time, homemade almond milk is especially nice.

If she passes the butter test, it's a bit sophisticated, but goat cheese is very low in lactose. Chevre is very cream cheese like.

And, as has been mentioned, after butter, you'll want to definitely see how she responds to yogurt. Many people who are lactose intolerant are able to consume yogurt without adverse effects.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I'm lactose intolerant to some degree, and I find that I can handle heavy cream, but not milk of any kind. The lower the fat content, the greater my discomfort! My health care provider told me that's because the fat masks the lactose! Soft cows milk cheeses cause me distress, also, but not goats or sheeps.... There's still a lot to choose from, and since I discovered Silk, I can enjoy cereal again.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Senior Cook

My best friend is lactose intolerant to the degree that even 1 spoonful of dairy will give her tremendous cramps. I love making cream soups and some pastas that I love call for heavy cream. I want to share recipes with her so I take a couple of servings out of the pot just before I add the heavy cream and use Coffee Mate in her portions. She loves the what I give her and to tell you the truth there is very little difference in the taste if at all. When I make lasagna I make a small portion for her and use tofu instead of ricotta. She says she can't tell the difference and neither can I.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
When I make lasagna I make a small portion for her and use tofu instead of ricotta. She says she can't tell the difference and neither can I.
I never would have considered that. Thank you so much.

Lucilly, I live in Eugene, Oregon, which is a vegan haven. I've found lots of non-dairy subustitutes. We're changing the diet of her and my entire family, probably for the better.

I believe she's got issues with lactose. She gets stomach aches when she eats dairy, even when she eats something with only caesin, a dairy deritive. I've pulled her entirely off dairy and she hasn't had any problems. Soon, I'll start adding things like butter back into her diet and see how she does.

I want to have some good information before I take her to the doctor. Everyone's comments have been wonderful. Thank You