"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 04-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
Master Chef
Help me find a good diet!

I have been on a low calorie diet for 7 weeks and I can't lose all of the weight that i need to lose. I'll lose then gain. I'm right at where I started again. Does anyone know a good diet that isn't going to make me starve? I walk a mile a day also. Well, except for Thursday, that's my free day

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Weight watchers works for us.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
It's good you've begun walking, but if you start doing proper ab crunches every day, you'll notice your clothes will fit you better as well.
If you eat more small meals during the day (say 4-5) as opposed to 2 large meals, you'll never feel starved, and your body will be much healthier.
Also, remember to always have your veggies nearby for a quick snack!
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I went on a diet that was developed by the CSIRO here in Australia (a government research body), it was primarily to help me to better my actual diet, but I also lost 5kg with it (that was all I had to lose). I found it particularly easy to follow, especially because the protein after lunch and dinner helps you feel full for quite a while.

It is a high protein, moderate carbohydrate diet and is specifically targeted towards women. Anyhow, take a look at it: http://www.csiro.au/proprietaryDocuments/MLA_diet.pdf

More information about that diet such as meal plans etc can be found at:
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Head Chef
I'd say make huge changes in the way you move your body and smaller changes in the way you eat to get started. Changing what you eat is never enough, it takes an even more serious commitment to exercise faithfully, imo.

Another thing might be to not make many recipes from DC! haha I know, I know, I love this place! But the vast majority of what is posted isn't very practical for someone who's trying very hard to loose a layer or two of fluff.

Make little food changes to start out, like only eating whole-grain bread / bagels and ditch the butter / cream cheese, if you have to have something on your toasted stuff, put a tiny dash of natural peanut butter (no added trans fats, etc.) on them. Substitute brown rice for white. Have the meat on your plate be a "side" and let the vegetables / grains be the main attraction. Use spices and salsas to kick up the flavor in food. A high quality EVOO can be substituted for butter in almost any dish.

When you're hungy, eat. But make sure what you put into your mouth has nutritional value!! That means ignoring (or in my case, not even buying) junk food.

When I feel the need to feed, that's just what I do. Only I have learned to fill myself up on a half a head of broccoli or cauliflower or a huge salad. Or oatmeal with soy and a dash of maple syrup. Yogurt with granola. A smoothie with frozen bananas as the base (add whichever berries you like, a teaspoon of honey, some soy milk and a dash of ground flax seed). I make sure to have something that feeds my body with energy.

There are no cakes and cookies in my house either. So when I think I absolutely must have something like that, I go purchase one of whatever it is I'm craving. I eat it and I'm done with it. Then I'm good for another few weeks.

Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. Your body needs at least that long to digest the last food you ate. Metabolism can kick into high gear and work most effectivly as you sleep only when your body is not concentrating on digesting food.

After I made changes to how much I moved, I either walk or do pilates every day and often times both, the eating stuff just kind of fell into place. It was like my body started craving things that were good for me. So I learned to listen to it. =)

Oh ~ and just wanted to say that just because you have a bad day or two, don't give up! It's not about how perfectly you eat in a small slice of time, but it's how you eat over a period of time.

It's silly, crazy to weigh yourself everyday and expect to see results. I say toss the scale out the window. Once a month is plenty!!! How your clothes fit, how you "feel" inside of your body, the new lightness in your step will all be much more accurate indicators of the good changes you make.
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Master Chef
Thanks for the boost Zereh!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #7
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
What Zereh is suggesting is exactly what I did, I concentrated on making small changes to my food patterns every week, so now, four months on, my eating is completely different, and it was easier for hubby to move with the program! Too many changes at once and he would have rebelled.

My exercise has changed enormously. I used to walk an hour or more each day, which is fine for maintenance but isn't going to help with weight loss to a large degree. I now swim, do cardio at the gym, and have just started a weights programme.

I've lost 40 pounds now since the beginning of January. I am a third of the way to goal!!!!
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Master Chef
That's great, kyles.
I don't have the time or the money to do most you most of the excersising that you suggest. Once it gets warmer here, I can swim while we're fishing though.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Master Chef
Just a tidbit I found. Don't know if this pertains to you or not but it may to others.

I was a total addict to pop...........I drank a minimum of 2 cans a day. When I eliminated this finally I noticed pounds shedding and my tummy became smaller. Just thought I'd pass that along. Oh by the way I replaced that pop with water which I always balked at. Surprisingly I've grown to like water now.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
Master Chef
gulp, blushing, sizz, lol. i drink 64 ounces of ginger ale and juice a day. more juice than pop. but you need fluids!

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote