Help needed: very limited diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a thought...instead of trying to replace things he cannot eat, how about introducing him to some things he can eat! Beans, lentils, and potatoes, as mentioned above, can be very satisfying. I'd limit the amount of potatoes and carrots, though, as they both have a lot of natural sugar in them.

Here's a good looking dish that he might enjoy:

Mixed Grain Mushroom Casserole

Serves:
Ingredients:
1/2 c Wild rice
1/2 ts Crushed dried oregano
1 ts Crushed dried thyme
3 1/2 c Broth
1/2 lb Mushrooms; thickly sliced
4 tb Unsalted butter, margarine or oil
4 Garlic cloves; chopped
1 lg Onion; thinly sliced
1/4 c Oil
1/2 c Brown rice
1/2 c Pearl barley
Salt & pepper; to taste

Instructions:
Combine grains in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Pour the oil into a 2-3 qt. casserole which is safe for both stovetop and oven cooking, and place on med. heat.
When hot, saute onion and garlic until tender and translucent, about 5-6 mins.
Add the mixed grains and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Meanwhile melt butter or margarine (if using) in a separate pan on medium high heat.
When hot, add mushrooms and saute quickly, stirring frequently, until the shrooms are hot and have just absorbed the "butter" (about 1 minute).
Immediately remove from heat.
Add the broth, herbs, and mushrooms to the casserole with the onions and grains, and bring to a boil.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover tightly (use aluminum foil between pot and cover if necessary for a good seal), and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

For interest, I would add a bit of carrot, broccoli, and/or chopped red bell pepper. You could also add any kind of pre-cooked meat, spinach, frozen peas, etc.

Floridagirl said:
First of all welcome to DC!!!!!

... I would use soy milk instead of cow or goat milk. There are also yogurts made from soy milk. Instead of cane sugar use fructose or a sweetner substitude or honey.

You can bake your own bread, use rye flour and spelt flour. Instead of a yeast bread use sour dough. Later today I'll post a recipe for a sour dough rye bread.
You can also substitude with buckwheat flour, millet flour, soy flour....

There is also cheese available made from tofu and soy.

substitude corn starch with rice flour or potato starch.

I found a vegan website, they make up the following things for 1 egg (depending on the recipe):

- 1 tbsp soy flour with 1-2 tbsp water
- 50g tofu and liqid from the recipe
- 1/2 banana, crushed

if in your recipe eggs are used as a bonding agent you can try the following (depending on the recipe)

- use soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk (always check the sugar content!!)
- crushed bananas
- plain tofu
- quinoa

I'll get back to you with the recipe for the rye sour dough bread and maybe another ideas for recipes later today!

Iris :)

I highlighted various items in the quote because they are on the list of "cannot have" ingredients. Sour doughs rely on naturally occuring yeast that floats around everywhere in our atmosphere. This yeast is a direct cousin to baker's yeast, but is a hardier strain. It is cultured into a sponge and used to leaven bread doughs. I would think that the wild yeaast would cause the same allergic reactions. And bannanas were on the list of taboo ingredients.

You can substitue Splenda for sugar in most recipes, and sugar alcohols where the texture of sugar is required. Honey is also a great sweetener. But I would stay away from mollases, as it is made from cane sugar. And as for egg substitutes, do an on-line Google search for a host of egg substitute products. They are out there.

Other ways to enhance flavor in foods:
Cook rice noodles in meat or poultry broths.
Rely on herbs and spices to flavor foods.

Try making a roux out of equal parts rye flour and cooking oil. Add salt to taste, then thin with broth to make rich gravies and creamy soup bases. Then add veggies such as cooked cauliflower or brocolli, asparagus, green or wax beans, Great Northern beans, onion, chives, and season with marjoram, oregano, thyme, lemon grass, etc. and serve with pork, fish, chicken, sliced turkey, beef, etc.

Use rich vegetable and meat stocks to liven up flavor.

Make your own caramel sauce using water, salt, and a sugar alcohol.

Use fruits with vibrant colors, such as cherries, berries, plumbs, grapes, etc. to make fruit glazes for hams, pork roasts, or in deserts.

Look up a fruit crisp recipe, such as cherry or apple. Substitue Splenda for the sugar, and rye flour for the wheat flour. Use sunflower oil instead of butter. Cook the fruit on top of the stove and thicken with tapioca flour until it reaches the consistancy you want. Flavor with cloves, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, etc, to match the recipe. Then place in a lightly greased casserole dish and top with the crisp topping mixture.

Use rye or spelt flour in your muffin recipes, again replacing the sugar with Splenda. You can also substitute apple sauce for the fat in many cakes to add moisture without so much fat, thus elliminating the need for butter.

Oh, and watch the soy milk. Most brands are sweetened with can sugar. I know Silk brand offers a Soy milk that is unsweetend. I use that all the time and sweeten with Splenda to taste. Add a bit of nutmeg to it with more Splenda and it tastes very much like egg-nog.

I will come up with a recipe or two later. Have to get ready for work now.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Corn is the real Biggy in that list. Not everyone realizes that there is corn in almost all processed foods. If an animal ate corn, you cannot eat that meat. If corn syrup is in the recipe, you cannot have it. It is in almost everything either by cornstarch, food, syrup; makeups, medicines, some deodorants, catsup, and baking powder and the list is two pages long as I am sure you know.
I am allergic to it and I have to be careful even about shortening or oil and make sure it doesn't have corn oil added to it. I am sorry for your brother's allergies but I am proud he is improving. I wish you lots of success in dealing with his food allergies. I know it is a struggle and we wish you all the Lord's Grace to deal with this huge problem.

Plenty of help is available

Hi,
First, go to your public library and start looking at allergy cookbooks. There are some good ones out there. There are some bad ones too, so take a look at what is out there. Then buy the ones you like.

Second, go buy The Allergy Self-help Cookbook. by Marjorie Hurt Jones, R. N. Rodale Press. I think you will find it very helpful. There are a ton of recipes in this book, all milk-free, wheat-free, soy-free, corn-free, etc.

Marjorie Hurt Jones also has other books and publications. Check out her web site. There is a lot of good info for people with allergies.

http://www.imbris.net/~mastent/

Third, google "Food Allergies", "Multiple Chemical Sensitivities", "Rotation Diet". People with MCS have more food allergies then you list, so many of the cookbooks out there are written by people with this disease.

Hope this helps. There is a ton of info out there for people with multiple allergies.

I would make a list of things he CAN eat and then post. And surely your allergist is suggesting menues/foods. If not, change doctors.
Are they trying to desensitize him? How old is he?

Back
Top Bottom