"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I agree that calorie counting isn't for everyone. I sure couldn't do it! Portion control does work and it's true, most of us have no true idea what a portion size should be. Here's a tip: Buy yourself a small dinner plate and only use that one. They have done studies that prove that the larger the plate, the more we eat because we equate a full plate with being full and a half empty plate with only being half full. And people who had a small plate so that it looked like the plate was full actually reported feeling full. But the people eating the same amount of food on a large plate reported still being hungry. So what you perceive visually can trick your brain.
Yeap and that also goes back to what is hammered in your head from mom, FINISH YOUR PLATE!
Thanks, I had thought about the small plate. I have a childs plate that I had from babysitting once. I will use that. It's just bigger than a saucer.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Head Chef

I get the portion control thing. My doctor told me 2 years ago that I was heading for diabetes if I didn't take off 50 lbs. He stressed portion control as a means of achieving that goal. I had no idea how much I really was eating til I starting cutting portions. I watch what I eat, have cut the fat content by more than half, eat a healthy, well balanced diet and have taken off 54 lbs. in 14 months. It does work.
I miss the platter full of pasta more than anything. Eating a cup and a half of pasta is better than none at all, but I want more!! I love how I look and more than that, I love how good I feel. I excercise every day (waater aerobics or walking) and it has made a tremendous difference. You can't do this with diet alone. Excercise is very important. You can do it and you'll be so glad you did.
BTW, my mother NEVER told me to clean my plate. I did it by myself. Still do.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Master Chef

I'm just glad that I can still have my veggies. I can't have pasta or potatoes or fried foods and my chocolate. That is going to bother me. I love all of those!!LOL
Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I'm just glad that I can still have my veggies. I can't have pasta or potatoes or fried foods and my chocolate. That is going to bother me. I love all of those!!LOL
I can live without chocolate and I never eat fried foods anyway, but NOW WAY ON THIS GREEN EARTH AM I GIVING UP PASTA. I love pasta and the sauces that I make and am not giving it up. I only have pasta every 10 days or so but I look forward to that day. I'm only going to sacrifice so much and pasta isn't on that list.