"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Head Chef

High Fiber Recipes

I am looking for recipes/ideas to increase my fiber intake.
I know generally what foods are high in fiber, but I am looking for some recipes - whose got one?

Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains are good sources of fiber. By whole grains I mean whole wheat flour, rolled oats, whole grain flours like buckwheat.
Cook from scratch. Last night I cooked fresh green beans sauteed in bacon fat with onions garlic and chopped raw almonds and had garlic bread make with whole wheat bread.

This is more of a cooking attitude than looking for a specific recipe.

I probably am not a good person to answer this question because cooking with fresh foods is such a big part of my diet that I can not imagine how to approach this question. For me, it's a given.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Master Chef

I had to buy some Metamucil for my dog (no joke) and I bought the kind that is flavorless and says that you can "cook and bake with it."

I am also the type of person who would cook with fresh, fiber-rich foods before adding Metamucil to cream of mushroom soup... but does anyone know anything about this? Might it be an alternative to consider?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

interesting thought, jenny. Not sure about the cream of mushroom soup thing, but what do I know?

Toots, you can usually safely add a generous sprinkle of wheat germ to baked goods (or pancakes/waffles).

Eat apples. Raw.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Cook

There are two types of fiber, insoluable and soluable. Here is a very good brief summary of fiber:

http://www.yale.edu/uhs/departments/...Info/fiber.pdf

Fruits and vegetables are very obvious sources of fiber but grains, beans and legumes are also great and tasty sources of fiber.

Unprocessed foods are generally higher in fiber than processed foods. Try to eat brown rice rather than white rice, eath whole grain breads rather than refined flour breads, and eat fresh fruits and vegetables rather than peeled and processed fruits and vegetables.

Finally, make it a habit to end your day with a Metamucil cocktail or other fiber supplements.

If you are aware and try to make it a habit increasing your fiber intake is not that difficult.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Citrus is a great source of fibre (eat it don't juice it!) So things like a citrus compote with a cinnamon light syrup is good.

There are plenty of recipes out there for flapjacks (the scottish type, which is an oat based cookie type thing) but for me, the fat count out weighs the fibre benefits.

I agree that changing the way you eat through out the day is the best way of increasing your fibre intake.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Eat granary breads - don't eat white breads at all. Porridge in the morning would be a good source of fibre.

As Kyles said, citrus fruits and vegetables, green ones particularly, are a good source of fibre, too.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
Cook

this is a great muffin full of grains:

Whole Grain Raisin Muffins
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablepoon baking powder
1/2 cup golden raisins

In a medium bowl, mix milk, oil, eggs, brown sugar and molasses - whisking to combine. Stir in the wheat bran and oats. Allow this to set for 15 minutes to soften the oats.

Preheat the oven to 425

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the raisins. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.

Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 cups. Bake for about 14 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. When done, remove the muffins from the pans as soon as you can handle them. Try not to leave them in the pan for longer than 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

is the fact that "toots" is asking about fiber funny to anyone else? (sorry toots, couldn't help it.)
for recipes, how about pork loin or tenderloin, stuffed, braised, or stewed with prunes and nuts? if interested, i'll post a recipe.

and jenny, how old is your dog? please don't say he's farty, in dog years...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Executive Chef

to expound of an already good idea that has been suggested, beans and legumes, in any form. Bean soup with cornbread, I have already posted a recipe for whole grain cornbread in the bread thread, lentil soup, hummus, add a can of rinsed black beans to a salad, burritoes made with canned burrito filling. I keep cans of refried beans on hand and have found numerous ways to use them.

When I mentioned corn bread, if you thought of Jiffy's, then that is a problem. Jiffy's (is this the correct name for that boxed stuff?) means no fiber. Yes it is tasty, almost like a cake, can you say sugar?,but not good for a nutritious meal.