"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
My father inlaw used to say if you just eat right you don't need nothing else.
There are medical conditions and chronic illnesses that make it difficult for some people to absorb as much nutrition from food as they need, so supplements may be necessary. Life is not one-size fits all.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There are medical conditions and chronic illnesses that make it difficult for some people to absorb as much nutrition from food as they need, so supplements may be necessary. Life is not one-size fits all.
Plus, if you attempt to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from food, you'll soon look like a member of the Soprano "family."

Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Hi,
I think spinach and other green vegetables have the considerable amount of Iron so can can rely on that .
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 AM   #24
Master Chef

lets cook: cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey.

I learned the meaning of this when I was a docent at Fort Monroe. Anyone out there know it?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
This may be totally untrue and stupid, but my Dad has a condition where he has to much iron in his blood, he goes every other month to get some "filtered out".
Anyway his Dr. said one thing he should do is stop cooking in cast iron..... maybe then cooking WITH cast iron would help you?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
lets cook: cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey.

I learned the meaning of this when I was a docent at Fort Monroe. Anyone out there know it?
Yeah - to do with cannons wasn't it? Pushing the grey matter a bit there though!!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
Head Chef

Hi Angie, do you know what your iron count is. On an average it should be about 12 (your blood report should tell you what it is).

My iron has always been low. At one point it was lower than a 2 which means it's non-existent.

The doctor told me that eating liver or red meat or spinach and other greens will not do me any immediate good. I had to be on iron supplements and not 1 but 3 of them (350mg).

The pills make me very ill and they need to be taken with food and it leaves a terrible after taste and my appetite is lost forever after I take it.

In any case all the iron rich foods will help but only if your iron is slightly lower than average and not extermely under like in my case.

I can almost feel when the iron drops because I feel weak, dizzy and light headed.

All the best.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Soak a handful chickpea (Cicer arietinum) in water overnight.

In morning chew those soaked chickpea and drink that water also.

I have got chronic anaemea .I have increased my haeboglobin level in this way.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Hi Angie, do you know what your iron count is. On an average it should be about 12 (your blood report should tell you what it is).

My iron has always been low. At one point it was lower than a 2 which means it's non-existent.

The doctor told me that eating liver or red meat or spinach and other greens will not do me any immediate good. I had to be on iron supplements and not 1 but 3 of them (350mg).

The pills make me very ill and they need to be taken with food and it leaves a terrible after taste and my appetite is lost forever after I take it.

In any case all the iron rich foods will help but only if your iron is slightly lower than average and not extermely under like in my case.

I can almost feel when the iron drops because I feel weak, dizzy and light headed.

All the best.
Hi. I just wanted to clarify that 12 is actually the lower limit of normal for women: Anemia Symptoms - Low Hemoglobin, Low Hematocrit, Iron Deficiency Anemia My doctor tells me that when the iron count is lower than 6, you should have a blood transfusion. When you know you're prone to anemia, it's important to keep on top of your blood levels and know what they mean. HTH.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #30
Master Chef

Bilby, yes. The brass monkey is the triangle that cannon balls are stacked on (think sort of like on a pool table, but stacked up). When it gets very cold out, the triangle (brass monkey) contracts, and the cannonballs go flying. Do not ask me why the triangle is called a brass monkey. Someone out there know that bit of trivia?