How can I add iron to my diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My father inlaw used to say if you just eat right you don't need nothing else.

There are medical conditions and chronic illnesses that make it difficult for some people to absorb as much nutrition from food as they need, so supplements may be necessary. Life is not one-size fits all.

There are medical conditions and chronic illnesses that make it difficult for some people to absorb as much nutrition from food as they need, so supplements may be necessary. Life is not one-size fits all.
Plus, if you attempt to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from food, you'll soon look like a member of the Soprano "family."

Hi,
I think spinach and other green vegetables have the considerable amount of Iron so can can rely on that .

Last edited:
lets cook: cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey.

I learned the meaning of this when I was a docent at Fort Monroe. Anyone out there know it?

This may be totally untrue and stupid, but my Dad has a condition where he has to much iron in his blood, he goes every other month to get some "filtered out".
Anyway his Dr. said one thing he should do is stop cooking in cast iron..... maybe then cooking WITH cast iron would help you?

Hi Angie, do you know what your iron count is. On an average it should be about 12 (your blood report should tell you what it is).

My iron has always been low. At one point it was lower than a 2 which means it's non-existent.

The doctor told me that eating liver or red meat or spinach and other greens will not do me any immediate good. I had to be on iron supplements and not 1 but 3 of them (350mg).

The pills make me very ill and they need to be taken with food and it leaves a terrible after taste and my appetite is lost forever after I take it.

In any case all the iron rich foods will help but only if your iron is slightly lower than average and not extermely under like in my case.

I can almost feel when the iron drops because I feel weak, dizzy and light headed.

All the best.

Soak a handful chickpea (Cicer arietinum) in water overnight.

In morning chew those soaked chickpea and drink that water also.

I have got chronic anaemea .I have increased my haeboglobin level in this way.

Hi Angie, do you know what your iron count is. On an average it should be about 12 (your blood report should tell you what it is).

My iron has always been low. At one point it was lower than a 2 which means it's non-existent.

The doctor told me that eating liver or red meat or spinach and other greens will not do me any immediate good. I had to be on iron supplements and not 1 but 3 of them (350mg).

The pills make me very ill and they need to be taken with food and it leaves a terrible after taste and my appetite is lost forever after I take it.

In any case all the iron rich foods will help but only if your iron is slightly lower than average and not extermely under like in my case.

I can almost feel when the iron drops because I feel weak, dizzy and light headed.

All the best.

Hi. I just wanted to clarify that 12 is actually the lower limit of normal for women: Anemia Symptoms - Low Hemoglobin, Low Hematocrit, Iron Deficiency Anemia My doctor tells me that when the iron count is lower than 6, you should have a blood transfusion. When you know you're prone to anemia, it's important to keep on top of your blood levels and know what they mean. HTH.

Bilby, yes. The brass monkey is the triangle that cannon balls are stacked on (think sort of like on a pool table, but stacked up). When it gets very cold out, the triangle (brass monkey) contracts, and the cannonballs go flying. Do not ask me why the triangle is called a brass monkey. Someone out there know that bit of trivia?

This may be totally untrue and stupid, but my Dad has a condition where he has to much iron in his blood, he goes every other month to get some "filtered out".
Anyway his Dr. said one thing he should do is stop cooking in cast iron..... maybe then cooking WITH cast iron would help you?
Yes cooking with cast iron does help people with low iron levels.

suziquzie,
Your comment is correct, cooking with cast iron may help you ingest more (but only trace quantity)
One interesting point of having too much iron in your blood, is that it may not be very healthy. Since Iron oxidizes really fast, it generates easily free radicals that may result in accelerated aging. I read this on a Dr. called Mercola book, I think.

Along with the vitamin C fun fact ... Another bit of info that many people do not realize is that dairy eaten with iron rich foods will block your body from absorbing the iron. IE ... having cottage cheese or cream based dressing on your spinach salad or covering your broccoli with cheese sauce or drinking that large glass of milk with dinner. I was told to have the milk or other dairy a while after eating everything else, like a snack later.

Try stirring a tbs or two of blackstrap mollases in to some hot water and down it. It is very high in iron and calcium amongst other things, and doesn't involve having to eat!

But I second the beans, espesh pinto, navy, kidney, and chickpeas. Could you try making a fruit smoothie with leafy green veg blended in so you don't really taste it?

Also peanuts are high in iron, as are most dried fruits, so get trailmixing!

Along with the vitamin C fun fact ... Another bit of info that many people do not realize is that dairy eaten with iron rich foods will block your body from absorbing the iron. IE ... having cottage cheese or cream based dressing on your spinach salad or covering your broccoli with cheese sauce or drinking that large glass of milk with dinner. I was told to have the milk or other dairy a while after eating everything else, like a snack later.
That is good to know, thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I never knew that. I also have anemia and I've been having trouble with it lately. I've done all the TNT tricks (cast iron, red meat, vit c, etc) and I still feel horrible. I've never heard about a connection with dairy, but it makes sense based on my recent diet.

For those taking iron supplements I found that SlowFe and New Chapter to be better ones. The New Chapter costs about twice as much, but I never have any of the awful side effects that I do with other brans.

Back
Top Bottom