"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Head Chef

How can I add iron to my diet?

I am jumping the gun here, but I'm looking for ideas to add iron to my diet.

I wont touch liver or mussles or oysters or clams. I don't like green leafy veggies. Heck, I don't really like vegetables at all.

I am starting to not like red meat as much as I used to.

I'm so dang picky.......

I'll see my Dr on 1/18 but I'm thinking I'm anemic...that's the reason I want to boost my iron without taking a pill for it.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow. I must have an overabundance of iron. I love everything you don't like and eat them on a regular basis I didn't know clams and mussels contained iron, though... Thanks for the info.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Cook in a cast iron pan. Also try some of these:

beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils

iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta

chicken and turkey

nuts

egg yolks

dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

Here is one site that might help you understand how to boost your iron via diet ... the foods to eat, what not to eat, and how to get the most from what you do eat.

If you are anemic and if diet alone will not control it, then what's wrong with a pill to suppliment what you're not getting, or blocking, in your diet? Of course if a pill is that distasteful to you ... there is always the old weekly trip to the Dr. for a B-12 shot.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Here is one site that might help you understand how to boost your iron via diet ... the foods to eat, what not to eat, and how to get the most from what you do eat.

If you are anemic and if diet alone will not control it, then what's wrong with a pill to suppliment what you're not getting, or blocking, in your diet? Of course if a pill is that distasteful to you ... there is always the old weekly trip to the Dr. for a B-12 shot.
Thanks for the site.

I am thinking it's a B12 deficiency anyway..I had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago which can lead to the B12 issue.

I'll take in iron pill if needed...at this point, I'll do what ever it takes to feel better!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Angie, about 20 years ago, my doctor told me I was anemic. My choice was to either take the Slow FE every day (and deal with the after effects) or eat red meat and potatoes as often as I could.
I figured I'd go the "healthy" way and took the pills. After 2 months I switched, and became truly healthy and much, much happier. To this day, I haven't had to go back to the pills.

Here's a good read on the iron content in potatoes:
http://www.mvproduce.com/spudfacts.html
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Executive Chef

What about smothering some of the good ingredients within a dish, like mixing up shredded spinach in a chicken lasagne as an example or in a soup. I just spent three hours on Thursday having an iron infusion in hospital, and while I don't suffer any ill effects from the iron, my hand is still bruised from the needle and I can think of lots of better ways to spend my day!!! (Although, I must confess, the midday nap was rather nice!! LOL)
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Angie,
I am sure you already checked many websites, I am adding one link just in case.
Iron Rich Foods Can Fortify Your Blood - BloodBook, Blood Information for Life
While is very important to control your iron intake, it is also important to be aware of foods that may inhibit iron absortion. One of the most significant is TEA, avoid drinking tea with your meals since it contains tannin that will reduce your iron intake capability.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Angie. Here's one more site for good info: WHFoods: iron

In addition to avoiding foods that inhibit iron absorption, try to eat foods that enhance absorption. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron; in fact, my GI doctor's nurse told me that it's practically a waste of time to take an iron supplement without a Vitamin C supplement.

Shrimp is a good source of iron, but the site I cited above doesn't mention clams or mussels as important sources of iron. HTH.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Everymom

Trail mix. My sister is anemic and swears by her trail mix to boost her iron. Doesn't hurt in reducing the bad cholesterol either.