"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

You can't get hubby to eat better and lose weight. As others have said, it must be his decision.

Sit down with him and let him know that his good health is important to you and your daughter and you will do what you can to help him and support him. Offer to gather or discuss diet options, suggest a visit to the Dr. and a nutritionist. Let him know there are lots of options for dieters. You don't have to subsist on lettuce leaves and cottage cheese for the rest of your life (a significant fear to serious eaters).

Old 06-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Does DH mean "Dah Husband"?

Old 06-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
This is probably the equivilent of banging my head against the wall as DH isn't very committed to the issue at this point, but I am stumped and need to do what I can to get DH healthier. He's had a series of health scares over the last week or two ... Any advice?
Be supportive. Until one is committed to making a change, all the tricks, suggestions, being the food police, getting rid of food in the house, etc. are a waste of time and effort. When one knows their health is at risk, and does not want to make changes on their own, it is like banging your head against the wall. A diet may be a temporary solution, depending on one's health medical problems. Perhaps the doc can recommend a nutritionist and exercise plan for his needs. Re joining a gym, depends on what exercise program or how much is appropriate for him and what the health problems are. Vitamin supplements (geared toward his age etc.), is another thought; but, do not replace healthy eating.

Bottom line - you can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. Tough love isn't a bad idea either. My best to you and yours.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Does your husband like to run? One of our first purchases before Aidan was born was a jogging stroller. That way, dh was able to get exercise and spend time with Aidan. He'd take a long run to the park and play for a while there with Aidan and then run back. Brainstorm other ideas where he can exercise with Sofie. Before we moved into Sketchyville, we went for long walks every night after dinner.

As far as the veggies go, I don't have much advice. If you haven't already, stop buying unhealthy snacks. Ryan wanted to start eating healthy recently and has lost over 10lbs because of it and he wasn't trying to loose weight. We buy only lean meats now, ground turkey is good (throw it in your spagetti and you won't be able to taste a difference), and whole grains (pastas too). Now we only eat good carbs, and not the bad ones.

There's gotta be some veggies Nathan likes. Give them to him in mass quantities. There's gotta be recipes, things like spagetti or chicken pot pie, that the veggies are hidden. We can't get Aidan to eat many veggies, so he eats lots of fruit. Maybe put fruit on your dinner plate instead of veggies...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
Does DH mean "Dah Husband"?
dh usually means dear husband, but at times it can mean dorky husband or many different variations.
dumb
dimwitted
darling
Let your mind wander! It usually depends on my mood.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Pa,
I know how worried you must be. I had the same problem here too. DH and I finally had a sit down and I told him that he needed to take care of himself.
1-because we love him
2-we wanted him to be there for graduations and to walk his daugthers down the aisle when that day came.
3-we would'nt be complete without him.
Sometimes men get so involved caring for their family they forget to take care of themselves. I slowly made changes in our eating habits, and that included me and the kids. We worked together as a family..It took time and we did have a lapse now and then, but now we are healthier and we've seen graduations and walkedd two daughters down that aisle and now get to enjoy 3 beautiful granddaughters and 3 handsome grandsons.

kadesma
Old 06-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Everymom

PA, you sure have had good response to this. Smart answers too. My suggestion is somewhat different. I know for myself that if someone suggests to me that I do something like work out, diet, whatever...my first reaction is irritation and I will dig my heels in. I think most of us have that sort of reaction at first. Couldn't you sort of do an end run and maybe just cook healthier meals in smaller portions? Like tortilla pizzas instead of regular crust. Or lemon herb chicken with rice instead of fried chicken. Then instead of suggesting he go for a walk, get you and Sofia suited up and ask if he would like to join you for a stroll. Dollars to donuts he will come with you.

Tough spot PA. He will do it when HE is ready and not before, but you can do your bit since you are in control of food prep. Good luck my friend.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

What if you gathered up a bunch of interesting healthy recipes and showed them to him. Let him pick which he would like you to make. Give him lots of choices.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Your DH's food preferences sound like mine; a meat and potatoes kinda guy.

Diets don't work well for me, mainly because of the cost involved. Groceries can get very expensive when buying two different menues for two people. Yeah, maybe both go on the diet, but that's still easier said then done sometimes.

See if you can get him to start slowly. That's what I had to do. I replaced my pop (soda) consumption with diet. I started paying more attention to quantity consumed, and reducing the quantity consumed. As for veggies, Mrs. Big Dog will make them if I don't, and then I feel obligated to eat some. I eat them first, then the rest of the meal.

After that, I tried to reel myself in a bit more by replacing my diet pop/soda intake with water, but maybe steal a diet pop in on occassion. I also have considerably cut down on my intake of most foods (there are still some that I overindulge in).

All this with essentially no major change in lifestyle, and I'm down about 20 pounds or so.

If I can ever get my backside motivated to exercise, I think the weight would start falling off. But I digress . . . . .

After discussing your concerns as others have mentioned, encourage him that you know it won't be an overnight change, that you're there to help, and offer the suggestion of taking it slow similar to what I described. I can actually tell when I start eating poorly or overindulging because I feel crappy. Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty darn good most of the time!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
it won't be an overnight change!
This is a big one to realize. How long did it take to get him in the state he is now? Probably many years. So don't expect the reversal to happen sooner than it was created. Many years of consistant eating and exercise will get him there.