How can I get DH to eat better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The exercise route may be the easier way to start before the eating habits. If he can get into a workout routine and if he starts seeing results, he may just change his diet on his own, especially if he starts lifting weights.

ironchef said:
The exercise route may be the easier way to start before the eating habits. . . . especially if he starts lifting weights.
I agree with this! If he is seriously tired after work. Get up 1 hour earlier and workout before work. Your body's metabolism will stay high for hours afterward. He will burn calories all day (even sitting at that desk).

PA, I have the same problem. HH is a darling, but also a heart attack waiting to happen.

I've whispered, nagged, laid on the guilt, decided he was a grown man who should figure out his priorities himself, etc. etc.

The only thing Mr. Meat Potatoes and Bread has done for himself is Atkins, which works for him.

Good luck.

I had gained weight over a long period of time and just really didn't seem to notice it.

Then one day I realized my weight had gotten out of hand.

So I started to diet, but did it my way. I cut back on foods, particularly very fattening foods. And I refuse to weigh myself but I know I am losing weight because I have to buy new clothes (if I weighed myself I would go crazy if I found I had gained a pound or two, and probably eat something to make me feel better).

I am a person who just cannot follow a regimen, such as a printed diet, no matter what.

And so I have my own rules that seem to be working.

And one is not to go too crazy about the thing.

When we go out to dinner (which is not that often) I usually order an appetizer and a main course without thinking about the calories.

When I am full I take the rest home.

For me, and let me stress, for me, it is working.

To quote mudbug:

"The only thing Mr. Meat Potatoes and Bread has done for himself is Atkins, which works for him."

My advice is that the only diet that works, and the only exercise regimen to adhere to, is the one you will follow. Have owned exercise machines that work great, and can give fantastic results, except I didn't like to use them and did not.

As far as food for DH, all I can suggest is that you try to figure out what relatively low calorie and healthy things he likes, or at least will eat, and make those. Alnd make a meal with the stuff he loves, in smaller portions, and the healthy stuff.

Nothing works like success, and if he starts to lose weight he may decide to cut back on the fattening stuff himself.

Just an idea, good luck and God bless.

You all are so good to me; thank you for all the time you spent with your replies! It's no wonder I love you guys so much!:)

I do much of what you've suggested already--keeping snacks out of the house, very healthy meals, etc., and I've had the "you need to get healthy for the baby if no one else" talk a couple times, too, so I think I need to just encourage until DH is really ready to commit. And I never thought of it from the point that it took him a long time to get to where he is (a good 15 years) so it'll take some time to get the weight off, too.

He lost a good 10 pounds a couple years ago by cutting out sugared sodas, so he's seen how simple changes can help. I think exercise is going to be the key, along with a lot of moderation at home if nowhere else, so I just need to keep doing what I can.

And Alix, you hit the nail on the head! Now that people have told him that he has to do something, he's less likely to do it. I need to bite my tongue at times. The two of us are so stubborn I don't know how we get along!:rolleyes:

Thanks again! {{hugs}}

P.S. urmaniac, I finely shred zucchini and carrots to put in my manicotti and lasagna filling. That's the only secret veggies I use--and get away with. DH is like a bloodhound most of the time detecting the hidden things he doesn't like!

PA Baker said:
And Alix, you hit the nail on the head! Now that people have told him that he has to do something, he's less likely to do it. I need to bite my tongue at times. The two of us are so stubborn I don't know how we get along!:rolleyes:

Heh heh heh...I completely relate! I am a very stubborn person too, sometimes to the point of stupidity :rolleyes:

PA, some added thoughts/suggestions...

Since he's a meat and taters man, and you do all the food prep - keep it as lean as you can. i.e. buy low fat/lean ground beef, trim all the fat off roasts etc., have a fish dish on occasion. Try roasted potatoes (& roasted veggies, if he will give them a try), rather than baked with butter and sour cream. Fresh herbs perk up dishes without all the salt and butter. Omit the mayo and use lite or lemon juice & herbs. Cut out bread, muffins and bagels and use a sugar sub.

Summer is a great time of year to trim down with all the fresh fruits available. Does he like berries, cantaloupe, honey-do? A yogurt fruit shake is another thought. How about a little V-8 juice. Cut down or replace butter and heavy oils and breading. You can find lite subs for almost any ingredient. Yogurt cheese makes a good base for sauce or even a cheesecake -- but let's not go there, lol.

Swimming is good exercise and works all of your body. There are pool exercises, if you're not a swimmer. Is there a fun sport he likes - bicycle riding, tennis, or dancing. Walking a little each day is the easiest, and walking barefoot on the beach gives your legs a little workout.

You mentioned he's accustomed to canned veggies - big difference from fresh. So many great veggies out there to give a try - roasted, maybe he'll take a taste of yours -- i.e. grilled asparagus, steamed broc and check out the brussels sprouts, squash/zuke recipes here. I wish you luck. It's not easy making life-style changes.

Last edited:
Yes PA, carrots and zucchini are two of very good choice for "training vegetables", carrots have its nice mild sweetness, zucchini is pretty neutral in its flavour nothing strident. Once he becomes aware that he can eat them, try some variety of recipes using them.

I also have to re-emphasize the point of difference between "canned" vegs and those fresh... I missed out on asparaguses for a long time during my childhood precisely because of this.

Anyway PA... you can do it... especially if Cris could get me to eat a piece of snail!! (We were at an International food expo last week, one of the boothes had some escargot to be sampled... he picked it up and coaxed me to try, while I was protesting we attracted the attention of all the people around us and they all chimed in with Cris, I had no escape but to pop it in my mouth and swallow... well, I am still alive!!)
It can NOT be as dramatic as that!!:ROFLMAO:

PA another thought re veggies - try zuke, corn, or a mixtrue of grated carrots and potatoes for a yummy pancake. Serve them with salsa, or low fat sour cream, a few slices of avacado. This is a great forum for recipes, and with little subs for the fat stuff, you can create a multitude of dishes.

Re pasta, if you gotta, try an uncooked fresh tomato 'sauce' - chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh basil chiffonade, rub the bowl with cut garlic for the hot pasta to absorb the flavor. Add roasted garlic to dishes in place of butter, cream etc, and use plenty of fresh herbs. Pasta, in itself is not all that fattening -- it's the heavy sauces you add, but I'd steer clear from layers like lasagna. Penne a la vodka and some basil, a little shredded parm goes a long way. You want to keep dishes tasty, without sacrificing the flavor. Chicken breasts in a wine sauce is another idea and adding ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil - they're easy to rehydrate):chef:

Last edited:
One danger point here is your kid. Let DH know that your child needs to grow up in a family where good nutrition and exercise are the norm. I'm repeating what others have said, but if time with the baby is his excuse for not exercising, then the very obvious answer is a walk to the park after supper. Baby in a stroller or carrier (the latter better if baby is young enough, DH gets a little weight lifting in).

All of us who are of a certain age (I'm 51) grew up eating canned vegetables. How is that an excuse? I love canned vegetables. Prefer fresh or frozen, but still have a place in my heart for those canned ones. Canning was invented so that we could have nutrition year-round back in the days when you couldn't get any vegetables at all during the winter months.

But I say, appeal to his sense of wanting his child to grow up better than he (most parents want that). Do a lot of experimenting with veggies. My husband likes pureed veggies, while I love to have something to chew on. We compromise. Beans and lentils have a lot of nutrition, and beans are pretty manly. Lentils and split peas can be cooked down to the point where they can be used as a thickening agent for soups and stews -- more nutrition that a flour slurry.

Back
Top Bottom