How can rice, lentils cornbread and cheese be made to taste better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's see ... you came in here complaining about your diet being bland and wanted to add some flavor - yet everything suggested so far is either too much work, too expensive or not "whole food" enough.

Let's work through them backwards ....

There is nothing wrong with frozen vegetables - in either nutrition or flavor! They are processed at the peak of freshness, washed, blanched, and frozen (that's the way you freeze vegetables for long term storage). And, as has been noted, they are usually cheaper than fresh. Grab a bag and throw in a handful ...

Oh, for what it's worth .... among that recent bagged greens (spinach and lettuce) recall - they were all grown in the same fields, processed in the same plants, in the same way, with the same wash water - and several were labeled ORGANIC! And, sold in "whole food" stores at a premium price. Oh, yeah - organic does not mean the plants are not sprayed with pesticides, or anti-fungals, etc. .... anyone who has questions about this can go to the USDA website and look it up.

If you think vegetables are expensive ... wait for the "sticker shock" when you start looking for herbs and spices!

Now - about the "meat". It's really inefficient to make stock every day - I don't know any home cook that does that - it's something you do one day a week - use what you need and refrigerate the rest for use the rest of the week, and freeze the excess. As for the cost - I ran up to WalMart a few minutes ago and checked .... Smoked Ham Hocks - $1.29/lb, Smoked Pork Necks - $1.39/lb, Smoked Turkey Wings and Legs - $2.02/lb. The cheapest smoked bacon - $2.68/lb.

Sweet potatoes vary in price - but one doesn't cost any more to buy if you cook it or eat it raw. And, some nutrients are actually not released from their bonding for absorption by the human body until they are cooked (and that is true for many vegetables). Eating it raw sounds more like an act of contrition than good nutrition.

You can eat whole foods that are not labeled "Whole Foods" - and save some money. You can vary your diet and eat just as healthy but with more flavor if you're willing to think beyond your current diet. You just need to learn how to shop .... and be willing to spend a couple of hours on the weekend doing some cooking for the following week.

Find a female friend that loves to shop - and get her to teach you how! :LOL:

No one mentioned bologna. We know that's bad. But you were complaining about cheese before that is essentially just scientificly named ingredients where as a protein shake is complete chemicals. Not the best way to get your protein and it's hard on your body in the long run.

Where did you get the idea that a protein shake is chemicals? A McDonald's shake is chemicals. My protein shakes consist of whey protein isolate, frozen fruit such as peaches, mangos, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries, cranberry or pomegranate juice, banana, plain low fat yogurt or soy milk, and ice cubes. Not a chemical in sight.

actually i'm getting around 120 gram of protein or so a day which should be plenty. and i've started olympic style lifting. and the carbs are high. do you have any nutritional knowledge at all? the lentils alone give me around 45 grams of protein.

You can’t be serious? A weight trainer (Bodybuilder, Power Lifter, etc) looking to add muscle and increase strength need 1.5 to 2 grams or protein per pound of bodyweight per day. You have a whopping 120 grams of protein in that diet. :ohmy:

So you either weigh between 60 and 80 pounds, or you are horribly misinformed about the protein requirements of a serious weight trainer. :shock:

Actually - I don't think he really knows what he is getting in his diet, keltin. IF the diet he posted was based on uncooked amounts (with the obvious exception of the cornbread - but I assumed raw ingredients for that) .... he is getting about 170g protein from the food he is eating - not counting the protein drinks.

But, then again, the question never was about his nutrition .... it was how to add some flavor to his bland diet.

MERTON said:
How can rice, lentils cornbread and cheese be made to taste better?
since a large bowl of this everyday makes up most of my meals i need a way to make this mixture taste better. it needs to be cheap and healthy... not necessarily super duper healthy, but the ingredients must be whole food type stuff.

Actually - I don't think he really knows what he is getting in his diet, keltin. IF the diet he posted was based on uncooked amounts (with the obvious exception of the cornbread - but I assumed raw ingredients for that) .... he is getting about 170g protein from the food he is eating - not counting the protein drinks.

But, then again, the question never was about his nutrition .... it was how to add some flavor to his bland diet.

I was looking a the numbers and this is what I’m getting. BUT, unlike you, I assumed cooked values.

2 bananas – 26g carb x 2 = 52 carbs (46 net, 6 fiber)

1 glass of v8 – 11 carbs, 2 protein = 52 calories

a chunk of sweet potato raw – 30 carbs (25 net, 5 fiber) (4g protein)

2 cups of oat meal – 50 carbs (34 net, 16 fiber)

1 teaspoon of cod liver oil - fat, 40 calories

4 ounces of cheese - 266 cal (11fat, 8p)

1 cup brown rice – 44 carbs (41net, 3 fiber) (3g protein)

1/4 of 12 inch cake of corn bread
-- 6 tbs olive oil - 40*6 = 240 cal, fat
-- 4 brown eggs, - 80*4 = 320 cal (24g protein, 24g fat)
-- 4 cups of milk, 150*4 = 600 (48c, 32p, 32f)
-- 2/3 cups of whole wheat flour 303 calories (8.5p, 63C)
-- 2 cups of whole corn meal - 844 cal, (16p, 180c)
-- Total = 315C, 80P, 58F
-- 8 slice cake, take 2 slices = 78C, 20P, 14F

1 1/2 cup of lentils 5g carbs (4.5 net, .5 fiber) per ounce x 12oz = 54 net, 6 fiber, 27g protein.

Total Carbs ~ 289 = 1156 calories
Total Protein ~ 64 = 256 calories
Fat ~ 29.4 = 265 calories

He said he gets 120g of protein, so I figure about 54g more from a whey shake made with water:

Total Carbs ~ 289 = 1156 calories
Total Protein ~ 120 = 480 calories
Fat ~ 29.4 = 265 calories

Total Calories = 1,901

60.8% Carbs
25.2% Protein
14% Fat

So, that’s the ballpark I’m getting, and 1,901 calories a day is no where near enough for any athlete I know of, especially a weight trainer.

Here are the nutritional sites I’ve used.
http://www.calorie-count.com/
http://www.carbs-information.com/carbs-in-food.htm

Last edited:
Where did you get the idea that a protein shake is chemicals? A McDonald's shake is chemicals. My protein shakes consist of whey protein isolate, frozen fruit such as peaches, mangos, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries, cranberry or pomegranate juice, banana, plain low fat yogurt or soy milk, and ice cubes. Not a chemical in sight.
The label on the bottle my brother used to use.

You can’t be serious? A weight trainer (Bodybuilder, Power Lifter, etc) looking to add muscle and increase strength need 1.5 to 2 grams or protein per pound of bodyweight per day. You have a whopping 120 grams of protein in that diet. :ohmy:

So you either weigh between 60 and 80 pounds, or you are horribly misinformed about the protein requirements of a serious weight trainer. :shock:
It almost sounds like an Atkins type diet. High, high protein, low low carbs. Sounds like there's some serious misinformation going on in his world.

for whatever reason he's eating the listed foods, I 'm getting that he wants cheap but tasty.
some zing is simple: lime juice, cilantro, garlic, slivered peppers.
I have no problem with vinegar, but take an extra hot pepper and puree it to use in place of the pepper vinegars so many companies make.
I like the idea of the chili oil (and thanks, I've been wanting to make my own)

For the lentils, look for garam masala recipes online.
get the spices in ethnic markets to ease sticker shock.
dried mango powder can do wonders for overly earthy food.

I'd also reassess how you blend the ingredients: put lentil flour, cheese and spicy peppers in the corn bread and have it with vegetable soup.

I think it has been said before, but I'll add to it. A good chicken broth or stock instead of water. If it is real stock, you'll get some added protein. But either way you'll add flavor.

Back
Top Bottom