"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #21
Head Chef

Agree. Good job college cook.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
It's just the facts. Unfortunately, many journalists over-sensationalize their coverage, and while this is understandable in some respects, I think it's irresponsible to create hype around overly complicated issues such as this. Most people don't want to or don't have the time to invest in reading scholarly articles from end to end, they just want the summary, and the media takes advantage of this sometimes. Let's face it, scientific journals don't exactly qualify as light reading.

I just get frustrated I guess, at all the hype that gets thrown around about obesity and diabetes, especially in children. Obviously it's cause for much concern, but I think the real problem is that folks want to point the finger rather than come to grips that their health problems are a result of their own habits. Honestly, if you're overweight, ask yourself this: do you REALLY try as hard as you can to eat properly and excersize as much as you can. I know I don't. I'm overweight and it's my fault. It's just easier to point fingers at someone else, and I think it's a shame that so many people fall victim to that.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

CC:

I have always been frustrated by the food police and the sensational claims they make. Many of these claims are often reversed later.

I saw a segment on 60 Minutes tonight about Rick Berman who is a guy who challenges the food police (among others) and their sometimes over the top claims. He's a shill for the companies but makes some good points.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #24
Head Chef

I appreciate your posts, College Cook. Thanks for the insight!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Thanks everyone!

A wealth of info here on this subject.

The reason, or the main reason that I was trying to find this out is because since I'm a Type 2 diabetic, some sugar is needed to help stablize the glucose level in order to keep my blood sugar level from getting dangerously low.

It's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! I can't have too much or too little sugar. It can also be gotten from starchy foods as well.

Yes, the body is supposed to burn off fat first, then sugar, then protein last, I think. Which is why diabetics, obese children and adults should not be couch potatoes all the time.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Yes, the body is supposed to burn off fat first, then sugar, then protein last, I think. Which is why diabetics, obese children and adults should not be couch potatoes all the time.
The body burns off sugars, then fat, then proteins. I'm pretty sure that's why diabetics have to be so careful about their sugar intake, because it can become depleted so much more quickly than anything else.

Fructose (note, not high fructose) is reccommended in th diets for some diabetics because it is broken down and releases glucose into the bloodstream at a measured pace, rather than consuming glucose, which is absorbed into the bloodstream immediately upon ingestion. Changing from glucose to fructose might be something to talk to your doctor about, as it can be very beneficial to some diabetics.

I would say one thing though: if you drink alcohol regularly be careful about switching to a fructose diet. Fructose is metabolized in the liver, and since you're a diabetic and have to carefull watch your sugar intake as it is, fructose alone won't be a risk to your liver. However, the combination of too much fructose and/or alcohol has the potential to be damaging to your liver in long-term situations.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #27
Executive Chef

No wonder my stomach is always growling, as it is right now!

I've also been told that diabetics must eat food in small amounts because they have to eat something at least every 2 hours to avoid getting sick (hypoglysemic or hyperglysemic attacks).
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #28
Master Chef

You know we all have beliefs and opinions. I think a large cause of obesity and its sidekick, diabetes being on the increase is the constant eating, not just one ingredient. I (at 52 years old) was allowed 2 cookies a day (after school) and often chose fruit (which was offered as well). I got a little, and I do mean small, handful of potato chips once in awhile. We didn't walk around with a sippy cup of apple juice -- which the children of my friends do -- constantly. Eating or drinking (other than water) required going home and talking to Mom. And often the answer was "no, it's only a couple of hours to dinner." I think that it is interesting that my young French friend doesn't have a weight problem, but also does not walk around with a calorie source in his fist every minute of the day. Most of my young friends and relatives have something in their hands to eat or drink every minute.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I've also been told that diabetics must eat food in small amounts because they have to eat something at least every 2 hours to avoid getting sick (hypoglysemic or hyperglysemic attacks).
Hi Corey, I read this last night and "bite my fingers", thinking I had said enough on another post where you asked a similar question but after sleeping on it, I feel I should say something.

If you are a diabetic, you MUST get proper information from a doctor or nutritiontist. I'm not saying we here aren't smart and there aren't doctors or nutritionists among us but we don't know you. My dad is a diabetic (juvenile) so I know the importance of proper care and management of this disease. If your insurance will not cover the cost of a nurtitional advisor, make an appointment with your gp and demand a referal to a diabetic counselor. They will help you develop a diet and regime that will help you control your diabetes. If you are not on insuline and trying to control this with diet alone, it is even more important. If the diabetic counselor does not assist you in regulating this disease, demand a new person.

The short answer to your question regarding eating every 2 hours is "kind of". You need to eat at regulated intervals that are appropriate for your diabetes and your lifestyle. Only your doctor or nutritionist can help you with this information. To begin, they may probly ask you to keep a log of when and what you are eating, when you are feeling low, and when you may feel high. From this, they can help you develop a plan.

I'm sorry if I am offending you or am coming across as a nag but diabetes, at any stage in life, is nothing to play around with. With any type of diabetes, the risks run the same from minor moments of being out of it to full blown diabetic comas and amputations.

Good luck to you ...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

JMediger, 'consult your physician' is very good advice.

The good folks here at DC always offer advice because they sincerely want to help their fellow members. I do it all the time.

No one should make a medical decision based on the advice of a non-medical professional from an internet forum contributor who has never examined the patient.

I know Corey123 is smart enough to know that.