"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #51
Certified Pretend Chef

Corey, take your pick. You have to use a solid fat to make a pie crust. I wouldn't forsee a major isue unless you eat them by the boatload daily.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #52
Executive Chef

That's what I was thinking.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Corey, when I made pie crusts I used lard or butter, which ever I had on hand. But I have made an effort to eliminate crusts from my pies, precisely to reduce the fat content in my diet. I simply make crustless pies, when I make them. I try to eat fresh fruit, instead of making deserts with fruit.

My DH has hypoglycemia and he says he feels better when he eats oatmeal for breakfast. It is cheap and nourishing. I buy oatmeal by the 50 pound bag at a health food store. For 50 pounds of organic oats, I pay $37.50, and that lasts us about 6 months. That comes out to $1.44 a week for our cereal cost. You could try an experiment, just change what you eat for breakfast to oats and see if that controls your unstable blood sugars any better.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #54
Executive Chef

I DO eat oatmeal for breakfast. In fact, I'm gonna make some right now.

I also wrote a thread here on how oatmeal can help reduce bad cholesterol.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #55
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
It's not every day that I would eat pie.
I would, but it would have to be cut into 12 pieces!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:16 AM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Do you think I just make this stuff up?
Not intentionally ... however the bug up my hiney is "selective" reporting ... aka: not reporting all of the facts. While your "excepts" from the Washington Post article writen by Sally Squires, a "staff writer" (not a medical or scientific writer) supported YOUR anti-sugar agenda ... it did not reflect either the entirety of the article nor all of the research. For those wanting to read the entire article, not just selected excerpts, it can be found here.

The media, and some "so called" nutritionists, have done a great job of misdirecting or distracting prople ... they hear the word fructose and think it means "high fructose corn syrup" because that is what the media has conditioned them to believe. The fact is - this is sooo bogus, and detracts from the real problem!!!

The truth is (in short) - corn syrup (glucose) is hydrolized from corn starch ... if you then process it to convert part of the glucose to furctose you have High-Fructose Corn Syrup - a term used to differentiate it from regular corn syrup which doesn't contain fructose. Generally, it's about 45% glucose and 55% fructose. Table sugar, sucose, is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.

Grab an orange ... IF it had a label on it ... breaking down the "types of sugar" it contains .. it would show about 50% Sucrose, 25% glucose, and 25% Fructose.

Even before HFCS - we were using invet sugars in baking and confections for their properties ... made from breaking down sucrose into glucose and fructose.

Is fructose metabolized differently than glucose? Probably, according to some research. Is HFCS a greater threat than sucrose? Probably only to the Sugar Cane Producers - there is credible research that shows it's no more harmful than table sugar.

Are we consuming too much sugar? I'll agree with that - if you're honet about it and don't try to put all the blame on HFCS ... this is getting to be a problem even in EU countries that don't have HFCS.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #57
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
This particular article is not the only place I have seen HFCS accused of not stimulating insulin release. I have seen several articles, including THIS ONE and THIS ONE that have come to the same conclusion.

When several, unrelated, people report the same information, quoting different medical studies, I tend to believe what they're concluding. Like I said, I don't make this stuff up. As a personal trainer, senior fitness instructor, and nutritionist, I always make sure my ducks are all in a row.

BTW, the first article was written by Susan M. Kleiner, PhD, R.D., who is one of the foremost nutrition authorities on eating for strength. She don't make this stuff up, either.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #58
Everymom

OK, I've read the articles and IMO it seems that consumers just need to be aware and educated. Caine, Michael is a proponent of having ALL the information, not just pieces of it. In this particular case I would have to agree. Lets be honest here, the chemistry is important, but using your brain is really the key to good health and nutrition. No one who uses their brain is going to consume a "a six-pack of Mountain Dew or eat a half gallon of frozen yogurt" and not guess that they might gain some weight from it regardless of whether there is a chemical trigger to cease consuming calories.

You both have good points and you both have correct points. Caine, your point about HFCS not stimulating an insulin response is correct. However Michael's point about it being metabolized differently in the body is also correct. Nothing can enter your body and not be processed in one way or another.

The point of the original question was essentially "is HFCS bad for you" the short answer is "yes". Any dietician will tell you though that you can consume HFCS if you modify the rest of your intake on any given day. If I want to have a can of Coke, I just need to make sure I account for that in my daily caloric intake and exercise regimen.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #59
Head Chef

I absolutely agrre with what Michael and Alix are saying BUT, and its a big but, to pick up on ALix's point, and repeat a point I have made in similar threads, it seems that despite most of us knowing "a six pack of Mountain Dew or ...a half gallon of froxen yoghurt" we are seeing time and time again people who care about food making bad choices, and seemingly, if what they say in fora such as this, they are so confused they DON"T understand that this comes down to ;if its sweet it got that way some how and it has repurcusions somewhere! I am repeating this point because it is important: if people who care enough about what they eat to be members of fora on cooking/eating are making bad choices unknowingly, what are the people trying to shop and feed themselves/a family with NO interest, no research and no knowledge doing? Its not up to the food industry to make these choises for us, but I think we have to stand up and say you can't eat hundreds of sweet/fat heavy foods because they say "sugar free/fat free" and not expect to have ramifications!

ETA I think that the only point I'm picking up in Alix's post is that whee as she is able to make these sensible and necessary decisions others do not sem so able, this concerns with me. I did not what to leave unedited as it reads like I'm disagreeing with her in someway, where as I actually think its a great post!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Here's what the ADA (American Dietetic Association) has to say:

http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/FRUCTOSE.pdf