"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Question How Dangerous is High-Fructose Corn Syrup?

Does anyone know the real dangers behind high-fuctose corn syrup? Is it a liquid form of sugar?

I heard that it's the #1 cause, or at least helps contribute to the cause of obesity in children and adults. It's used in the manufacture of just about everything from cereal to ketchup.

Just wondering.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

" Is it a liquid form of sugar"

From what i gather they take corn, and break it down, getting a corn syrup. then they take that syrup and purify it some more, increasing the sugar content even further

they use it because it's cheap to make it and it takes along time for it to go bad. it's complete and utter garbage and i don't touch the stuff, but as for why it is harder to burn off a gram of high fructose corn syrup than it is to burn off a gram of sugar? I don't know.

But yeah this obesity thing is really out of hand. we have become the laughing stock of the world. Here in Houston it's horrible. You see people that are so big in the grocery stores that they ride around on little scooters.

I don't know if this is true, but i heard on a news special that this generation of kids is the first generation here that are not expected to outlive their parents, or something to that effect...

These cheapskates need to stop putting so much garbage in the food to make more money. The poor don't know any better and just eat whatever they can and they suffer for it and it's horrible for the longterm health of this country(usa)

Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

If you look up corn syrup and diabetes in Google, you'll get lots of hits. It's all very depressing. The things that are supposed to be better for you - margarine rather than butter, corn syrup rather than sugar - seem to be just as bad.

And while you're at it, check out soya, which is often added to packet-type food. It contains phytooestrogens, so it's not bad for chapesses of a certain age but not good for chaps, especially young ones.
BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Soya 'link' to male infertility
Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

According to Wikipedia, high fructose corn syrup is processed corn syrup with varying percentages of fructose and glucose. It is a liquid which is used in many processed foods as a sugar replacement. It's used because it's cheap and has a long shelf life.

The high percentage of fructose in this kind of corn syrup is the concern as high fructose diets can lead to cardiovascular disease and obesity. However, other evidence suggests that glucose has the same effect.

So I guess reducing all forms of sugar in our diet is the way to go rather than just reducing high fructose corn syrup.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Head Chef

Snoop, yeah, alot of people don't know about that margarine thing either.

I just try to use small amounts of butter only on certain meals.

Normally i will just an almond oil or an olive oil.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
High fructose corn syrup is so dangerous, the U.S. Government will not set a Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for it. You can assume this means the maximum recommended allowance is ZERO!

HFCS is not recognized by your body as a sugar, therefore your pancreas does not release any insulin to metabolize it, as it would with sucrose, lactose, glucose, etc. Without the insulin to metabolize it, the HFCS is simply converted to fat and stored, usually in the most embarassing place it can find.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

Okay so that means it will burn off Carb calories first, and then resort to burning off the HFCS last?

What is the order in which calories are burned?

I heard it was -

Carbs, Fat, Protein

At what point does your body start using it's own muscle for food?

If your body has a disproportionate amount of fat, meaning alot more fat than muscle, will it change the way it prioritizes things?

IE will a fat guy's body burn off a lot of fat before it dips into his muscle reserves? And this rate slowly balances itsself?

(sorry, hoping a nutritionist or something drops in this thread, lol)

Cheers
Old 04-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

High fructose corn syrup is part fructose and part glucose so the body is perfectly able to deal with it. It won't make you fatter than anything else with the same calories.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Topaz, are you saying the stigma around it is completely manufactured? I doubt they have all the comprehensive info on a site like Wikipedia.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I think the Wikipedia article is saying that yes, high fructose corn syrup is unhealthy, as has been shown in a couple of studies but regular sugar in the same dose can have the same negative health effects.

I'm not saying it's nothing to worry about, just that it's possibly not this ingredient which is the problem but consuming significant amounts of this or any other kind of sugar is the problem.