"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennirizzo View Post
Fruit is still a problem for me...I haven't been able to really incorporate them into the meal...they're more of a side dish or snack afterwards. Veggies however, I love. Lately I've been making a lot of baked chicken with potatoes, green peppers (and red or yellow if I have them but usually not), carrots, broccoli. All I do is brush on some basil olive oil and bake for 1/2 hour at about 400-425. Easy and fairly quick. I also do simple salads with tomato and cucumber drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a touch of salt...again, easy and quick.
I, too, tend to think of "traditional" fruit (that is sweet, not nightshades) as more deserts and snacks rather than a main part of the meal.

My favorite thing to do is grill veggies when I have hot coals anyway. Brush with olive oil, season with your favorite seasonings after slicing squash, eggplant, onions, large mushrooms etc. Put on the hot coals before you mess with the meat, and sear them and put them in a large bowl. Chop coarsely and maybe a little more olive oil and seasoning to taste. Add a tomato or two if they're in season. Cover. Mom calls this "Claire's ratatoille" By the time you bring the meat to the table, the vegs are just right. These veggies, leftover, make a great topping for pasta, rice, or a baked potato, and pureed, they are a super base for soup. No one will know that your bean soup didn't have a ham bone in its base if you do this.

Tags
fruit, meals, vegetables