"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How expensive is it to make a whole food pizza?

it needs to be somewhat healthy and not made with any unwhole grains or unwhole other foods. i'm looking to get a healthy 3,000 calories for about $2 ($3 at most). is this possible?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm not sure what you mean by no unwhole foods. Is this for you or for a commercial venture?

You can certainly make pizza dough with wholemeal flour. I'm not up to prices in your area, but with some local research, you should be able to identify toppings you can use. To keep the calories down, make your own tomato sauce, use mainly veg topping and lean meat if you want meat. You will also need a low fat cheese or use a pretend cheese such as quark based product.

I suggest you look at the prices in your local market, together with a calorie book and you will be able to identify how possible this is your locality.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Pizza is not cheap to make because of the cheese and the dough and the toppings. Veggies are pretty low in calories, so you wouldn't get the calories from veggies. Cheese is high in calories, but I'm not understanding the "unwhole" thing either. JMO, $3 for 3000 calories using whole foods seems a little impossible.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yeah, this whole "unwhole" foods thing has me confused, too.

What a "whole food pizza" will cost depends on things like where you live, where you shop, what brands you buy, and what your ingredients are. I'm afraid only you can go to the store and figure that out.

Again, as for the calorie count - it depends on your indredients. You might find this Nutrition Data of some help in figuring it out for things that don't have nutritional data listed on a label (like tomatoes).
Old 10-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Are you saying $2 to $3 for a whole pizza? That’s impossible.

Just buying a slice of pizza costs 2.29 to 2.99.

To make your own, you have to buy the flour which is about 3 dollars. Then the wet ingredients, then the sauce ingredients, then the toppings.

Toppings alone can run 12 dollars or more. A block of whole milk cheese is 2.59 in my area, and you have to grate that yourself.

If you buy bulk, and freeze it, and then make lots of pizzas, over time your per pizza cost will drop, but I don’t know that you’ll ever get to the 3 dollars or less per pizza mark. But 2 – 3 dollars per slice is perfectly reasonable.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm assuming you mean $2/$3 per slice? Or two slices perhaps? Because otherwise, I fear you are barking up an impossible tree - at least if you plan to use high-quality & tasty ingredients.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin

Only 99 cents for the whole thing, and at 8 slices, it's 12.3 cents per little slice!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Head Chef

I seems to me there are pizzas and then there are pizzas.

The other day we bought a Costco pie for about $10 with pepperoni (am not suggesting that for Merton, making a point I hope). Now I can assure you that Costco does not pay more than 5 bucks for the fixings, and if the pizza business is like any other food business the cost of ingredients is probably no more than $2.50 or so (I have been told by pizzaria owners that their ingredient cost is ridiculously low). Aside from Costco, we get mailings from Domino's, Papa John's, etc. all the time for pies for 10 or 12 bucks.

Now these ain't great pies, they certainly are not prepared with 'whole' foods, and these places buy in bulk. But they do have calories, boy, do they have calories.

So my guess is the average home cook could make a pizza of 3000 calories for less than five bucks. Agreed no one may swoon when eating one, but you could put on toppings such as onions, olives, and maybe even a bit of cheap sausage. By the way this assumes one is using as a cost basis only the actual price of the ingredients used, if you use half an onion for topping you add one half the price of the onion.

Having said that, we do make our own pizzas from time to time and they cost substantially more than $5 - lots of cheese, heavy of the toppings. Yum.

But I have to agree with those who believe Merton cannot do a 'whole' pizza for anywhere near 2 - 3 bucks, particularly not a very sumptuous one. I can buy no name flour for not very much, cheap tomatoes in a can, some really cheap cheese, and so on. But none of the stuff I would make a cheap pie with is anything close to 'whole'.

Sorry Merton, but I doubt you could.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

whole foods...

for example: kraft cheese is made in a chem lab apparently. i came to this conclusion by looking at the ingredients. real cheese conisite of some enzyms and some milk and mayb 1-3 other ingredients. kraft chees has a list of ingredients so long that it's tall as the packaging. just look at the difference between tilamook and kraft the next time you go to the store.

i want the pizza made out of real food. nothing that's been degerminated or anything else. and nothing made of chemical subsitutes. i want real food. the kind that would have existed even a couple hundred years ago.... not something that modern chemistry has brought into being.

another example: real lard vs partially hydroginated vegetable oil.... or whatever it's called. i'd rather have the real lard.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

So go to it Merton. Knock yourself out. Just don't expect it to cost you $2 or $3, or for folks here to do your homework for you & knock out a recipe for you. Most, if not all, folks here have made their own pizzas - either from scratch or semi- scratch - but asking them to try to put together what you're asking is a bit much.

Let us know what you turn up with.