"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #91
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
They aren't regulated!!! By U.S. federal law only 91 polutants are required to be tested for in drinking water. That law is old and has never been updated. A recent government study (released on FOX and NBC news week before last), revealed more than 65,400 carcinogenic chemicals in our drinking water are unregulated, untested for, and have unknown effects on the human body in the quantities found.
WOW!! That is scary.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #92
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone View Post
...the lobbyists from chemical factories have quite a lot of power to convince the regulators to raise the concentration limit of pollutants.
Simply put, I just don't trust the regulators.
Ditto.

(I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you)

Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #93
Head Chef

That means that everyone who drinks water, any source of water, will eventually die. I much preferred the water I drank long before the government started regulating it. It provided me a long and healthy life so far. I think beer is better to drink these days.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #94
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
That means that everyone who drinks water, any source of water, will eventually die. I much preferred the water I drank long before the government started regulating it. It provided me a long and healthy life so far. I think beer is better to drink these days.

If you don't drink tap water, what the heck do you drink! Do you think the government agencies that regulate bottled water do a better job than the ones who regulate tap water?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #95
Everymom

EDITORIAL COMMENT

We are edging into political discussion here folks. Lets stop with the government regulation stuff please.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #96
Head Chef

I find that city tap water is safe and bottled water is safe to drink. Follow your 'fad' on what you prefer.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #97
Assistant Cook

There`s not much you can do except use a good quality water filter, and try to limit the amount of toxicity that is actually poured into the glass. A good quality filter that I have used for years is Aquasana.

You can see a comparison chart at the Aquasana website and click on Product Comparison to the top right of the screen.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #98
Head Chef

I would be hesitant to accept the facts coming from a company's own website or publication, which is why many people conduct independent studies. But the concern is that technology cannot yet filter out the really bad stuff that are showing up now in the water and food chain. Filters help but don't eliminate or prevent.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #99
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-termin8or View Post
Does anyone know how healthy drinking water really is? I think it is actually something taken for granted a lot. For the last 6 months i have been drinking almost nothing but water and i have noticed i have a lot more energy, feel more awake, my skin is healthier and overall i feel a lot healthier.

Can this really all be a result of changing my diet slightly by only drinking water or do you think that there's a big chance there are actually many other factors involved?
i agree to this. nothing beats water therapy.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #100
Senior Cook

I remember my grandma, when she passes by me, she asks "did you drink water?". Water is our life, our body is estimated to be about 60-70% of water, it needs it to regulate the body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all your organs, and the muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water.