"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
Head Chef

If you are considering bottled water as the 'absolutely pure clean water' standard, you may want to do some more research since many of those waters are dirtier than tap water.

I use tap water with a Brita Water Filter (pitcher). The filter I prefer because 70% of the tap water comes from a well and has a high mineral content which the filters helps reduce.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I always make sure that I drink high quality water. People should drink 2 liters of water daily!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
Sous Chef

it doesn't even have to be "high quality." Any water is better than no water.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
Head Chef

It doesn't even have to be plain water, but can be any liquid that will hydrate the body. Not that I recommend drinking sodas, coffee or alcoholic beverages as replacements for water, they do fulfill the body's requirement.

The fluid from food and its accompanying metabolic action alone can account for as much as 6 glasses of water! Water is the best fluid - no argument there, but don't get caught up in the absurdity of forcing down extra glasses of water if you have a coffee.

And don't get hung up on a specific number of glasses of water a day. One's body size and physical activity also contribute to the needs for more or less hydration. Relax. Eat, drink and be merry and the body will take care of you.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #25
Master Chef

I filter our water, but haven't done that everywhere we've lived. I drink a lot of water, and my husband has taken to as well since his bout with gout. Most of all, everyone has to remember that every body is different, and our water sources vary incredibly from state to state and country to country. If you drink bottled water in large amounts and exclusively, look up the source. I once checked a bottle of water and the label said it came from the Miami aquifer (I'd picked it up at a park in Orlando). Did a bit of research, and in fact the water was pretty much the same stuff you could get from a tap a few hours south of where I bought it. I think for most people (speaking from experience of friends and family), drinking more water and fluids in general, and substituting water for soda pop, coffee, even juice, is a good choice. Yes, too much can be bad for you, but it takes one heck of a lot, and probably an underlying health problem to begin with.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #26
Sous Chef

You just know when you look at the back of some bottles of water that there's some guy tee heeing with a garden hose from his back yard filling that bottle for you to buy
Old 04-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #27
Master Chef

Chefkathleen, I remember my husband's physician telling about a trip he chaperoned of young people going to China. He meticulously made sure none of his charges drank anything but sealed, bottled water. Not so much as an ice cube. Then, when they all had bad diahrea, one morning he looked out his hotel room window and watched while a Chinese man filled used, brand-name water bottles from a community water spigot, took out a gadget and capped and sealed them.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
Sous Chef

OMG! That is soo funny! Although, at the time I'm sure that it wasn't funny at all with everyone fighting for the bathroom.
Anytime we travel outside the US we always take bottled water with us for just that reason. And if you can't take enough water there's always wine! LOL
Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
Cook

I remember when my parents were overseas with their singing group my dad & sister were the only ones who didn't have problems since they drank soda, i'm sure they questioned the water there as well, as bottled.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #30
Head Chef

I drink 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day. A bit of coffee, no soda, minimal teas or other drinks.

I have a story though. Everyone roll their eyes at this one.

I just got the job at where I work. I had to go get a drug test, so I did. When the results came back, the administrator in another dept told me that my creatinine levels were too HIGH, and I should retest and get more water in me and try to get the creatinine level down.

So, not seeing the test, and trusting her, I drank even more water so the urine test would be in the normal range.

Well, on that test my creatinine levels were definately lower still outside normal, so I didn't pass.

What she didn't understand was I Failed the first one from drinking so much water and my level was too LOW, not too HIGH, and I made it worse on the second one from drinking MORE water! (< > whatever!)

During the process I had freaked out that I might be sick or something as this didn't make sense! I was wondering if my kidneys were failing or something! When we figured out the problem (the administrator gave me the wrong information because she didn't know how to read < > signs) my boss to be called the company doctor and told him what happened.

I was hired. lol not so funny.