How healthy is drinking water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drinking water is very healthy. Drinking cold water especially speeds up the metabolism

Absolutely. Especially if you consider the fact that if you drink up to those 3 litres, your body burns more calories.

I imagine, just how healthy it is to drink water depends on the quality of the water that you're drinking.

Absolutely. Especially if you consider the fact that if you drink up to those 3 litres, your body burns more calories.

Can you explain this LilSarah? I don't understand the correlation here. My understanding is that the only way to burn calories is to move your body, is there some reason water helps this? Other than proper hydration I mean. Thanks!

As to proper amounts of water to drink recent studies indicate that different people/metabolisms need differing amounts of water. Some people may need far less than the oft noted 8 glasses a day. Even if you drank 8 glasses a day that is still only 8 cups = 2 liters of water. As Scotch says, too much water can kill you. You can easily know if you are properly hydrated by pinching the skin of one of your knuckles and letting it go. If it pops back quickly leaving no trace, you are correctly hydrated. If there is any trace of your pinch...you need water.

I think most urban centers these days have acceptable standards of clean water. We have a water distiller simply because I prefer the taste of it. (I'm so spoiled!)

Does anyone know how healthy drinking water really is? I think it is actually something taken for granted a lot. For the last 6 months i have been drinking almost nothing but water and i have noticed i have a lot more energy, feel more awake, my skin is healthier and overall i feel a lot healthier.

Can this really all be a result of changing my diet slightly by only drinking water or do you think that there's a big chance there are actually many other factors involved?
I heard that water helps clear the body of chemical waste:rolleyes:

...My understanding is that the only way to burn calories is to move your body, is there some reason water helps this? Other than proper hydration I mean....

By definition, a calorie is the amount of heat required to raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree centigrade.

For example, it would take approximately 28 calories to raise 1 ounce of water by 2.12 degrees Fahrenheit.

By drinking COLD water (or other liquid) your body produces heat to warm up the water to equal your body's internal temperature, thus expending calories in the process. HOWEVER, the number of calories burned in warming up a cold drink, whatever it may be, is not enough to qualify as a diet program! And shouldn't be depended upon as a way to be healthy and lose weight.

Selkie, thanks for the explanation. My question was about the amount of water taken in. I do not see the correlation between drinking 3 liters of water and my body burning more calories.

I work very closely with a dietician and she had no answer to this either. The idea that cold water is beneficial does not seem to have any verifiable proof either. I have read things that state both that cold water is better and that warm water is better. The general consensus seems to be that proper hydration is critical but that the amount required for said hydration is variable according to body type and activity level.

I just realized that the jug I've been storing my distilled water in is a jug that probably has BPA in it. DOH!!! I think I'm OK because I only put cold water in it but geez I'm a doofus! Here I am using distilled water and I put it in a jug where I might get BPA stuff. :doh:

I have read things that state both that cold water is better and that warm water is better. The general consensus seems to be that proper hydration is critical but that the amount required for said hydration is variable according to body type and activity level.

I have read the same. I have also just recently read that any benefit one way or the other over cold vs room temp vs warm or any other temperature is negligible. The important thing is just to drink it. So if you are someone who prefers room temp water over cold you will get more benefit from room temp water as you are more likely to drink it then if you were trying to drink cold which you do not like as much.

I jsut recently bought a Sigg bottle which I am carrying around with me every where I go. I am sure I do not drink enough water usually so now that I have this bottle with me at all times I am drinking more. Still probably not enough, but better than what I was doing.

I drink faucet temperature water in the winter (roll of eyes here ... I have all I can do to keep my piping to keep from freezing). I put pitchers of water in the fridge during the summer. Many of my friends; both Asian and European, are not used to drinking the amounts of water I drink. But, in fact, I've always been a thirsty girl. For some reason, I'm always thirsty. Oh, by the way, yes, I've asked if there is a medical reason for my thirst. Nope.

I'd probably burn less in calories if I drank that much water as I'd spend more time in the bathroom then actively doing anything :)

Bob

Here in Baton Rouge the water tests as well or better than most bottled water.

There is a movie filming here and the city is also providing a supply of eco-friendly water bottles to the production in order to minimize their environmental impact.

You also have to be careful not to drink too much water. That can kill you believe it or not. I actually came very close to passing out from drinking too much water once. thankfully a friend was with me and saw the color change in my face and made me lie down. Had I kept drinking I could have died.

How much water are we talking? I always thought that the amount of water needed to actually be life threatening were amounts that only got drunk in things like frat hazing rituals.

We are talking a lot of water Russell. When it happened to me I think I had drank close to 8 liters that day.

We are talking a lot of water Russell. When it happened to me I think I had drank close to 8 liters that day.

Bloddy hell how did you manage that? I struggle to reach two litres! :shock:

I can imagine! I really struggle! But have cut down my tea and coffee intake and try to drink nothing but water at wotk now which has improved my water in take a bit!

My sister just to loose weight started drinking nothing but water and it works well for her. In the past year she has lost 60 pounds. She does exercise to though.

Wow- that is a lot of weight to lose just from drinking water and exercising (was this a change from her old routine)?

I like to force myself to drink one tall glass of water before I leave the house everyday - I feel a lot better throughout the day when I do this.

Kate

yah for me i believe in the water therapy that other is saying... and what's happening to you is part of the water therapy... it is starting to detoxify(clean your system)...

ummm, that's what your kidneys and liver are for... and yes, water helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom