"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sometime after dinner, I often crave something sweet. I give in to it for awhile, but when it becomes too much, I remind myself that that was yesterday and I need to stop for awhile. By ignoring the craving which I found that was just because I had given in to the urge the day before, it's fairly easy to pass on it that next night and by the following night, the craving has passed.

If I want a sweet and have one, I will definitely have the craving the next night, usually at the same time. When I realize that and decide to skip it, it won't bother me again for awhile.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Many years ago, I used to get cravings for Coca Cola. I started substituting O.J. Now, I might get the urge for a Coke once a year, but usually only if I see one. It's easy to resist, 'cause I don't like the taste of Coke with HFC.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Master Chef

For me the craving for sweets is purely mental or emotional.

I'm sort of like the little kids you see whining in the grocery store, I want the candy, cake, cookies etc..... If I resist the initial temptation I am soon distracted and the idea passes. If the desire for the same item keeps recurring for several days or weeks I give in and have a controlled portion. The latest craving was for a cinnamon streusel doughnut from the local Wegman's. I stopped last Sunday and got my one doughnut in a little paper bag* and had a mini feast with a glass of ice cold skim milk. A few years ago I would have bought a dozen and wolfed down a couple on the way home, progress! l

*Do any of you feel guilty when they ask you what's in the bag? I don't think the kid believes me. Maybe I don't look like a one doughnut person.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was diagnosed with diabetes I made a deal with the Devil. If I could continue to have sugar in my coffee, I would gladly give up all other sweets. I have never been a dessert person. Maybe about once a year I will see a Mounds bar and buy it. After the first bite, YUK! Too sweet. I make the cakes and all the sweets for the family. I do not lick the beater, or scrape out the bowl, etc. I don't even lick my fingers. Last night I made a large jar of Hershey's syrup for Spike. I have no idea how it tastes. It must have been all right. He was eating it out of the jar with a spoon. It is supposed to be for his nightly dish of ice cream.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...The latest craving was for a cinnamon streusel doughnut from the local Wegman's. I stopped last Sunday and got my one doughnut in a little paper bag* and had a mini feast with a glass of ice cold skim milk....
I never feel guilty.

If I go to a Dunkin Donuts and order some donuts (never just one) I am comfortable that I am making a smart low calorie choice. Next time you have a minute or two, compare the calorie count for a donut to any of the 'healthy' muffins or breakfast sandwiches of coffee drinks.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I never feel guilty.

If I go to a Dunkin Donuts and order some donuts (never just one) I am comfortable that I am making a smart low calorie choice. Next time you have a minute or two, compare the calorie count for a donut to any of the 'healthy' muffins or breakfast sandwiches of coffee drinks.
I don't feel guilty about my single doughnut, I always feel like the kid at the checkout will think I have two or three in the bag and that I am attempting to cheat the store!

If I felt guilty about the doughnut I probably would never have gotten fat in the first place!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I never feel guilty.

So, so true Andy. That is why the "just the muffin top" became so popular.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Proud American

I am trying to gain weight. But I am not hungry very much so I do not eat very much. DA says to eat more pasta and those carbohydrates. I do not like so much of that, because they make my stomach feel too big for me.

I do not like sweets. I love vegetables, however! Mamma never allowed me to have many sweets when I was growing up. She said small people can get fat too quickly when they are still growing.

I like dipping chunks of raw carrots and celery into Ranch Dressing!

I have had doughnuts I did like. I think it was called an eclair? It is a tubular pastry with chocolate on the top and a creamy vanilla filling inside of it.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I am trying to gain weight. But I am not hungry very much so I do not eat very much. DA says to eat more pasta and those carbohydrates. I do not like so much of that, because they make my stomach feel too big for me.

I do not like sweets. I love vegetables, however! Mamma never allowed me to have many sweets when I was growing up. She said small people can get fat too quickly when they are still growing.

I like dipping chunks of raw carrots and celery into Ranch Dressing!

I have had doughnuts I did like. I think it was called an eclair? It is a tubular pastry with chocolate on the top and a creamy vanilla filling inside of it.

Your friend,
~Cat
Aha! Another one who likes Ranch Dressing. I love Hidden Valley dressings. Specially Ranch Dressing. And I will fight you Cat for the éclair.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So, so true Andy. That is why the "just the muffin top" became so popular.
Oddly enough, I prefer the bottoms. Do you think I could get a job as the designated muffin-bottom-eater?

I am STILL holding out on my donut for when the new shop opens in town. They are waiting on ONE part for their donut-making equipment (each location makes everything on-premise) and they'll be able to hang the "open" sign.