"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef
How long to digest food?

Ok, so this has me puzzled as I've read so many different things on the web. I think we have a couple nutritionists here, yes? Or anyone who knows the answer to..... how long does it take to digest our food?

I know digesting meat/chicken/fish etc takes longer than vegetables/fruit/legumes. But how long?

I read this from the Mayo Clinic...

Digestion: How long does it take? - MayoClinic.com

"This can vary but usually between 24 and 72 hours in healthy individuals. After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion and absorption of water. Elimination of undigested food residue through the large intestine usually begins after 24 hours. Complete elimination from the body may take several days."

Any thoughts? Does this seem pretty spot on? Thank you!!!!

Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
It definatly sounds spot on from how I understand my body, but I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for! :p

~Recipes are a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation.
joanne81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Digestion is an amazing and complicated process. If eaten separately, carbs travel through the fastest, then protein, then fat travels the slowest. But if eaten together, they all travel slower. I think it is very individual. In my experience and observation, 24 to 72 hours is way too long. It happens in a much shorter time for me.

When I worked in the nursing home, the nursing assistants would count the hours after the cornbread and beans and spinach meal and could determine when they would be very busy . It was around 18 hours after the meal.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
I think spicy burritos are in their own category :P
If you don't have time to do it right, how can you have time to fix it later?
mad_evo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Head Chef
When I was in Barber college we learned that it took 9 hours from start to finish....
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Miss Kitty..

You have it nailed down about as close as you can get. With so many variables it would be impossible to standardize digestion time lines that would apply to everybody!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I say the very least is every 10 to 12 hours depending on what you eat but for sure in less than 24 hours.I know people that dont eliminate but once a week and think thats normal,that is not normal I even have a friend who is a nurse that says once a week is normal.Bull S++t.If you dont move it in a timely manner it becomes really toxic in the system.It can build up attach to the walls of your intestines and harden and build up more and more if you dont make sure you get it out.Thats why fiber plays such an important role in your diet.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
From personal experience: Within 60 minutes of swallowing 6 psyllium husk capsules!
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Thank you for all the replies!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:37 AM   #10
Master Chef
Different foods are digested at different rates ... and that can be altered by mastication (chewing) ... gulping food barely chewed or throughly chewing it.

Are you talking about digestion - or the time it takes food to travel from ingestion to elimination?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote