"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Head Chef

How many calories do you eat?

When I read all the great recipes and foods consumed in here I wonder how you all do it. I would love to eat fried chicken, gravies, cream sauces, desserts but I would be huge! I have a few days of being really good in exchange for one bad. I try to keep my calories around 2000. Lofat locarb do not seem to work (too many restrictions) so I watch calories.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Sorry don't count them, never had too, I just watch how many sweets I eat, and seldom snack. I am not skinny !

Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Ahhh Barb you are one of the lucky ones. If I am not careful I will gain.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I eat between 1300-1800 per day during the week. I'm not so good on the weekends though!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I don't know about my calories but when my jeans start to feel tight, I cut back on the sweets (my downfall) and try to avoid eating after dinner. If they feel really tight, sometimes I'll do sort of a fast, drinking only liquids for a day. Or, if I know I'm going to have a big dinner with all the trimmings and lots of desserts, I'll do the liquids thing that day til the meal.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Master Chef

I kinda keep an idea of how many calories I consume (nothing exact) and base my workouts on that. I usually try to stay below 1800, but it varies from day to day. Some days I consume 900 to 1200, other days may be more or less. If there is a day that I have had more calories than normal, I add an extra mile or two to my work out. Other than that, I just eat what I want and keep sweets to a minimum, but never eliminate them!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
When I am at full workout potential, which I haven't been lately because of another bout with plantar fasciitis, I can consume as many as 3800 calories a day. Right now I maintain my current weight by going back to a diet of 2200 calories, until the pain goes away and I can once again spend two to three hours in the gym every day except Friday.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Cook

I think it really depends on how active you are. I spent the weekend snow boarding and ate absolute rubbish all weekend and I mean ALL weekend. I was always putting something in my mouth and it was usually coated in sugar or dripping with butter but I was fine about it because I was working out so hard all weekend. I don't count calories but if something is really high in calories I try to stay away from it or only eat a small amount and if I have a total blow out I make sure to go for a walk the next day or do some extra sit ups and push ups before I go to bed.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Senior Cook

i eat around 1200-1600 cals per day during the week. a little more on weekends. during the week, i basically try and eat fruits, veggies and salads, limit refined products, sweets, etc. on weekends, i relax it a little bit because it usually involves going out to eat at least one night, a few beers here and there. but i try not to go overboard, even on weekends. of course, it sometimes happens.

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Right now I'm at about 1000, but it's usually less. I've been looking much more closely at the bad habits I'd created and decided to change....so far to the tune of 20 pounds since July 9th. I give myself monthly goals....

This month is my son's college graduation dinner. Next month is the Vendemia Wine Festival. October is my children's birthdays. November...well we all know how bad November can be.

I agree, it's very difficult to spend time talking about food when you are eliminating some of the ingredients that make it taste soooooooo good, like butter, cheese, oil, sugar. It's all about balance, I believe. That...and making lifestyle changes, not dieting.

Good luck with the gravies, I know...they're a killer.