"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Master Chef

How many calories do you need?

I got this from my weight loss site. You put in your height, weight, age and gender. It will tell how many calories you need to gain, maintain or lose weight. It will be hard for me to eat as many calories as it says for me, but, I'm determined to do it and eat the RIGHT foods so that I'm not starving myself because I ate the wrong thing and it be half my calories in one sitting so that I'm starving the rest of the day.

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed

Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Master Chef

texas, i am so thin & i promise it's easy. i have a meal when i'm hungry, & regardless of calories, i have what i'm hungry for, then when i'm full, i empty my plate. keep an eye on when your stomach says 'i'm full'.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
I got this from my weight loss site. You put in your height, weight, age and gender. It will tell how many calories you need to gain, maintain or lose weight. It will be hard for me to eat as many calories as it says for me, but, I'm determined to do it and eat the RIGHT foods so that I'm not starving myself because I ate the wrong thing and it be half my calories in one sitting so that I'm starving the rest of the day.

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed
Just remember that everyone is different and that the value that the calculator produces may not be applicable to you. After all it does not take into account (and it can't) the amount of muscle mass in your body and differences in metabolism.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
Just remember that everyone is different and that the value that the calculator produces may not be applicable to you. After all it does not take into account (and it can't) the amount of muscle mass in your body and differences in metabolism.

I have more fat mass than muscle! My BMI is 29.9. Really bad!!
but, I know what your saying. I'm going to watch what happens this week and then alter as I need to.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
tg. that was a great gift to give to all of us Woman. I spent hours checking this site out. It has every test we need without paying a trainer an arm and an leg. Again thanks T.G.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #6
Executive Chef

TG,thanks for posting that site. It has so much good information.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizzie
tg. that was a great gift to give to all of us Woman. I spent hours checking this site out. It has every test we need without paying a trainer an arm and an leg. Again thanks T.G.
Women arent the only ones who should keep an eye on their intake! Men need to maintain good health/body weight too!

Anyway, thanks for the link. I think Haggis makes a valid point though about that calculator just being a guide. He is right in that it doesnt take into consideration muscle vs. fat mass, etc. It is good to get a general idea though on caloric requirements.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Master Chef

Your all welcome. I know that it can't tell each person exactly what is needed without it coming from a real physical, but, it gives us a starting point.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I don't think any of us think a site will take the place of a doctor or a trainer, but like was said before, it has a lot of information we don't have to pay for, so we can see what pertains to us and make use of it. Much of what is available there we wouldn't be asking a doctor about anyway, even in a long session, which isn't apt to happen.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I only need 1,810 a day to maintain (I put "light" activity because I never exersize). Hmm.