"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Head Chef

How many trees should I be eating?

On MSN today there was an article about fast foods and those bought in the grocery store that put WOOD in their products. Cellulose, wood that is processed, is added to many of them, and I was surprised by how many use it.
Here is one such article:
https://news.fidelity.com/news/news....ce=rss-default

Just as examples and not the full list:

Quote:

General Mills (Symbol : GIS) uses cellulose in the following products: Fiber One Ready-To-Eat Muffins (Wild Blueberry & Oats; Mixed Fruit, Nuts & Honey; Apple Cinnamon Bun, Banana Chocolate Chip) Fiber One Original cereal Fiber One Chewy Bars (90 Calorie Chocolate, 90 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter) Fiber One baking products (Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix, Banana Nut Muffin Mix, Blueberry Muffin Mix) Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow Cake Mix Pillsbury Mozzarella and Pepperoni Pastry Puffs Pillsbury Cheese and Spinach Crescent Pastry Puffs Pillsbury Artichoke and Spinach Bread Bowl Bites Pillsbury Buffalo Chicken Crescent Pastry Puffs Pillsbury Cream Cheese and Jalapeno Bread Bowl Bites Betty Crocker whipped frostings (Strawberry Mist, Chocolate, Cream Cheese) Betty Crocker Vanilla Amazing Glazes Duncan Hines Cake Mixes (Devil's Food Cake Mix, Dark Chocolate Fudge, Strawberry Supreme, Fudge Marble, Classic Yellow, French Vanilla)

McDonald's (Symbol : MCD ) uses cellulose in the following products: Fish Filet Patty McRib Premium Caesar Salad Chipotle BBQ Snack Wrap Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken Southern Style Chicken Biscuit Strawberry Sundae Natural Swiss Cheese (used in McRib, Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Angus Mushroom & Swiss, Premium Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich, Premium Crispy Chicken Club Sandwich, Angus Mushroom & Swiss Snack Wrap) Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese (used in Ranch Snack Wrap (Crispy and Grilled), Honey Mustard Snack Wrap (Crispy and Grilled), Chipotle BBQ Snack Wrap (Crispy and Grilled), Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken, Premium Southwest Salad with/without Crispy/Grilled Chicken, Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with/without Crispy/Grilled Chicken, McSkillet Burrito with Sausage) Barbeque Sauce Sweet 'N Sour Sauce Shredded Parmesan Cheese (used in Premium Caesar Salad with/without Crispy/Grilled Chicken) Biscuit (Large and Regular) (used to make Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit, Sausage Biscuit with Egg, Sausage Biscuit, Southern Style Chicken Biscuit, Big Breakfast with/without Hotcakes) Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream (used in Strawberry Sundae, Hot Caramel Sundae, Hot Fudge Sundae, McFlurry with M&M'S Candies, McFlurry with OREO Cookies, Chocolate Triple Thick Shake, Strawberry Triple Thick Shake, Vanilla Triple Thick Shake) Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (used in Premium Roast Coffee, Espresso) Sara Lee (Symbol : SLE )

I am curious as to food allergies for people that have allergies, and what types of trees are we using here? What types of residues from processing the wood fibers into cellulose are left in our food? It's one more reason to cook from scratch, scratch, that is, not made from wood = cellulose.

So how many trees do you eat each year?
1. 4 acres of pine trees. (yule gibbons?)
2. 2 oaks and 6 maple trees.
3. 3 shagbark hickory trees
4. Assorted weeds and trees. (green deane?)

Your thoughts?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What's wrong? Yule Gibbons always asked "Ever eat a pine tree".

Craig

Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
What's wrong? Yule Gibbons always asked "Ever eat a pine tree".

Craig
MMMMM that piney flavor!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hmm.. all the more reasons why I try to make everything from scratch !! lol. That's just weird. Makes you wonder if people are having mild reactions to junk that's in processed foods.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm hoping a member who has children named bud and willow can answer this burning question.

ok, i''ll go act like a tree and leaf.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well, it doesn't hurt beavers...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm hoping a member who has children named bud and willow can answer this burning question.

ok, i''ll go act like a tree and leaf.
HMM........
By responding to this post, you aren't barking up the wrong tree.
Let's branch out a bit.
Who has children named bud and willow?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Well, it doesn't hurt beavers...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Not exactly wood...

General Chemistry Online: FAQ: Chemistry of everyday life: What is cellulose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
On MSN today there was an article about fast foods and those bought in the grocery store that put WOOD in their products. Cellulose, wood that is processed, is added to many of them, and I was surprised by how many use it.
Here is one such article:
https://news.fidelity.com/news/news....ce=rss-default

Just as examples and not the full list:

I am curious as to food allergies for people that have allergies, and what types of trees are we using here? What types of residues from processing the wood fibers into cellulose are left in our food? It's one more reason to cook from scratch, scratch, that is, not made from wood = cellulose.

So how many trees do you eat each year?
1. 4 acres of pine trees. (yule gibbons?)
2. 2 oaks and 6 maple trees.
3. 3 shagbark hickory trees
4. Assorted weeds and trees. (green deane?)

Your thoughts?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I respectfully disagree. Yes, it is. According to the info from your link:

"Cellulose is a major component of wood. Cellulose fibers in wood are bound in lignin, a complex polymer. Paper-making involves treating wood pulp with alkalis or bisulfites to disintegrate the lignin, and then pressing the pulp to matte the cellulose fibers together.
Cellulose is found in large amounts in nearly all plants, and is potentially a major food source. Unfortunately, human beings lack the enzymes necessary to cleave the linkages between the sugars in cellulose. In fact, crystallite cellulose is added to some foods to reduce the caloric value."

Termites are one of a small handful of creatures able to metabolize cellulose because they have a symbiotic relationship with specific protozoa which other creatures can't support in their digestive tract.

Tags
eating