"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
more than I should, less than I used to.
I feel crappy when I eat alot of it so I just sorta let myself go with how I'm feeling.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Master Chef
How do you define "junk food"?

I eat peanut butter from jars smeared on toast for breakfast some days ... some would call that junk food!

If you mean things like chips from bags, bottles of colas, ice cream, cookies, candy, etc. ... then, very seldom.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
If we have company, we eat the leftover chips, etc. Seldom do we buy them for everydy.

The only fast food restaurant we will eat at is Wendy's. That is not very often.

Singe I started packing B'fast and lunch, most junk food is gone.

Chocolate, well, it does ocasionally jump out and bite me.

Reading the labels is certainly a deterrent.

Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #14
Executive Chef
it may seem obvious, but I too think junk food needs to be defined.

At this point in time, I am not exposed to any junk food, it does not hold any interest for me, so I am not eating any right now. I stay home a lot.

I make all my own junk food, my brownies are made with real butter and sugar, Penzey's natural cocoa and whole wheat flour...but its still junk food

Many years ago, my first husband couldn't believe it when I told him I had a degree in dietetics. He said, Dietetics?? DIETETICS?? You, who thinks chocolate chip cookies are one of the basic four food groups??

I am absolutely certain that my limited intake of junk food is related to it just not being in my sight/reach.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I'm terrible when I'm watching TV or something, but I generally don't have time for breakfast so I have a cereal bar, they're nice :)
Lynd has too many handbags
Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
I guess I'm a little confused by the interpretation of junk food, too
I define junk food as being in the snack food category, but not considered a healthy snack food (like Granola bars), so while some may say fast food places serve junk food, I don't. And I don't call a beverage food, so that rules pop (soda) out. And anything homemade I would hardly consider junk food, so homemade brownies and cookies are not on my junk food list either. And candy... well, that's candy.
Also any snack food that comes in a shiny red bag with a picture of triangular shaped corn chips with cheese seasoning sprinkled all over them would hardly be considered junk food...... OK, maybe that's stretching things a bit

I don't buy much "junk food" such as potato chips, Doritos, slim Jims......, but I do typically drink a lot of pop, not lately though for some reason. Usually 2-3 cans/day, lately maybe one, but instead I have citrus flavored ice tea, which would certainly fall into some of your opinions as junk food, too, what with all of its fructose. Sometimes I'll get on a white cheddar cheese-its binge because they're offered on special if you buy 4 or 5 boxes. I guess that's junk food. I'll have them, eat them, then won't buy anymore for months.
Hmmm, are Triscuits, in all their salty glory, junk food? What if you put a piece of swiss cheese and a slice of pepperoni on it and nuke it, is it still junk food then?

I eat so late at night that I don't sit there and munch junk food while I'm watching TV, but I usually drink pop and eat a candy bar (or two) every day. I guess I eat what I consider junk food in spurts.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...I make all my own junk food, my brownies are made with real butter and sugar, Penzey's natural cocoa and whole wheat flour...but its still junk food...

I have to disagree. I'd classify it as dessert rather than junk food. I think there is a difference.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
Head Chef
I stay on a pretty healthy diet, but I do have pizza once a month. The only "junk" food I eat is when I come to Michigan. Gotta have my Elias Brothers Big Boy. I'm not sure if that is classified a junk food. There isn't a burger in the world I love more than this one so I get it twice in the 4 months I spend here. No pop, no chips or snack type foods, no pastries of any kind but I gotta have that Big Boy. (Bob's Big Boy on the west coast looks the same but doesn't taste the same.)
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #19
Sous Chef
i don't consider pizza junk food.
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #20
Executive Chef
I drink a diet soda about 4-6 times a year, iced mango flavored green tea is what I drink all day long. We have don't have a lot of junk food in the house with the exception of tortilla chips. Once a year I will buy a bag of cheetos I love them too much to keep in the house .Last week I did have a craving for some Ruffle potato chips so I bought a bag. I do keep some frozen egg rolls in the freezer. I have a good amount of good chocolates and gummie bears but don't seem to crave them as long as I have them around if there is none I want it if I keep it around I don't want it. I do love ice cream, cookies etc but rarely eat much of it unless I get a craving. Not to worry I still get way to many calories love cheese and home made bread. At a party or get together and holidays I tend to eat more junky food.

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote