"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Actually up to about 1 yr. - 15 mos. or so, solids are just for experimenting. Babies really need to get their calories and nutrients from momma's milk. The rest is just for fun. Random table foods do not have the complete set of amino acids and other nutrients that a baby's brain and body need. I would read up more on the AAP website. My own dd didn't eat anything but breastmilk until she was about 1, when she actually started swallowing the food she put in her mouth (before that, she just spit them out). Until she was almost 2, breastmilk was her main source of calories. She was a chubby little thing that never got sick and she (at nearly 8 now) ended up having a very discerning palate and likes just about everything from mussels to Indian food to duck tongue (seriously). Right now is the time for exploration of food, not actually having it be any part of nutrition. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
... momma's milk. The rest is just for fun.

And what if there is no milk?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

jabbur thank you, that is wonderful advice. and someone else mentioned that babies do stop eating when they are full and now that i think about it sometimes he does start playing. so that's good to remember too. thank you. i'm a first time mom and have no idea what to do lol.

i'm glad the whole milk thing worked for you velochic but i have to agree with Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
And what if there is no milk?
i've heard by books professionals, etc. over and over that all moms have milk and enough milk but i've heard from friends and associates that some DO NOT have enough milk. i've had this problem too. at first it was way too much and then as he began sleeping more and actually taking naps, the milk lessened to the point that he wasn't getting enough calories (this was the prob why he was losing weight). maybe it was my fault but either way it is what it is for some. but i'm thankful for formula and will be nursing again if we should have another kid. maybe it was a fluke

thanks everyone for the links and advice.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Good luck, trust your instincts. Mothers usually have them. Other wise how did we ever survive for thousands, or is it millions, of years. ;)
Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Everymom

MRoseB, my kids were on complete table food by 1year. At 10mos, they ate basically what we did at the same times and nursed at naps and bedtimes. Every baby is different. I had one who was the busiest baby you ever saw and was in the 5th percentile for weight. She ate so much of EVERYTHING at 6 months I thought she must have a tapeworm! My other one was as average as you can imagine, but refused carrots or peas. Go figure. Drs often don't give you much info because kids ARE so individual.

Try not to stress too much about food. They eat what they like. If they eat a bunch of meat one day they will often not eat any the next. There is no one hard and fast rule for kids. Offer them healthy choices and thats what they will choose. You're doing great.

Some babies DO lose weight. (My hyperactive one I mentioned above did, but was in the pink of health always) It is, however, often a warning sign that they are sick. If they show other symptoms as well as weight loss get them to the Dr. If they just lose a bit but are otherwise unchanged don't stress, but keep an eye on it.

Babies are pretty resilient little creatures. Have fun with him and enjoy every moment.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoseB View Post
jabbur thank you, that is wonderful advice. and someone else mentioned that babies do stop eating when they are full and now that i think about it sometimes he does start playing. so that's good to remember too. thank you. i'm a first time mom and have no idea what to do lol.

i'm glad the whole milk thing worked for you velochic but i have to agree with Charlie i've heard by books professionals, etc. over and over that all moms have milk and enough milk but i've heard from friends and associates that some DO NOT have enough milk. i've had this problem too. at first it was way too much and then as he began sleeping more and actually taking naps, the milk lessened to the point that he wasn't getting enough calories (this was the prob why he was losing weight). maybe it was my fault but either way it is what it is for some. but i'm thankful for formula and will be nursing again if we should have another kid. maybe it was a fluke

thanks everyone for the links and advice.
If you do have another, make sure to contact your local La Leche League leader.

Otherwise, substitute "formula" for "breastmilk" in my previous post. It still applies. Babies' digestive systems have to mature.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Everymom

velochic, I just reread your post about food just being "for fun" before 12-15 months of age. While I do agree that nursing or formula are essential to babies, I must respectfully disagree that food is for fun and not nutrition. Researchers are always changing what we ought to be doing with our babies. 40 years ago Moms fed their babies cereal at 6 weeks, now we start more slowly because we know more about physiology. The digestive system goes through closure (becoming more selective about what it allows through the lining) about 4-6 months so thereafter babies can eat a regular diet.

My earlier comment about babies being individual stands. What works for one of us may not work for you MRoseB. Your baby is unique. If you make sure the things you offer are healthy then you are well ahead of the game.

Were you looking for a list of some likely things to feed your little sweetie? I bet we could come up with lots of thoughts for you if you are.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Were you looking for a list of some likely things to feed your little sweetie? I bet we could come up with lots of thoughts for you if you are.
thanks Alix :D yes I was looking for a list of ideal foods for babies at this point. but thanks for all the help you've given this far
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Everymom

I'll come back with a list. Must drive a daughter at the moment.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
velochic, I just reread your post about food just being "for fun" before 12-15 months of age. While I do agree that nursing or formula are essential to babies, I must respectfully disagree that food is for fun and not nutrition.

As a La Leche League leader for 6 years, this is a question that is asked very often. I'm sorry, but until a year and often a few months beyond, breastmilk (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition. Solids are just experimenting until then. Believe what you want, but we are required to keep up on current recommendations and that is what the AAP says.