How much should a baby eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not debating with you or what the La Leche league has to say. I'm just more inclined to do my own research (I can provide you with lots of articles to support my position just as I am sure you can find lots to support yours) and to do what works for my own kids.

The La Leche League is a wonderful organization, but as with every organization it has its own biases. I'm glad it worked for you and your child (children?) I'm merely providing my own opinion.

MRoseB,

As I said, at 10 months my kids were both eating whatever we ate. I was careful to make sure anything they were given was in bite sized (non choking sized!) pieces. As I recall, my girls were particularly fond of past of any shape and description. They liked ham and chicken, not beef so much. Cheese, but only a bit. Mandarin orange bits...whooee! Lots of those. I'll think some more and edit later.

As a La Leche League leader for 6 years, this is a question that is asked very often. I'm sorry, but until a year and often a few months beyond, breastmilk (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition. Solids are just experimenting until then. Believe what you want, but we are required to keep up on current recommendations and that is what the AAP says.

Believe what you want. At 2 weeks I had my son (36 years ago) eating cereal in the evening. Within the next two weeks he was sleeping ALL night.
He was eating what we ate at dinner at 9 months. I would scrape a steak with a spoon making him a "steak pattie" if we were having steak. As a matter of fact his first adult meal was Haddock, I mashed up with a little milk and scalloped potatoes and green beans!! I can not imagine giving a child as old as 1 year a cup of formula and then eating real food in front of them!!! I also believe in baby's being weened by one year. They are mobile and have the motor skills to handle a cup. You can bond with them at other times.
I guess we need the AAP(whatever that is) make recommendations for people who really don't have a clue. As long as you are feeding your child nutritional food you can't go wrong!!!
This is not intended to offend anyone, just stating what I believe.:chef:

Believe what you want. At 2 weeks I had my son (36 years ago) eating cereal in the evening. Within the next two weeks he was sleeping ALL night.

And thankfully, in the past 36 years, just as all medicine has progressed, so has the knowledge about introducing solids. Not only is it now known that infants SHOULDN'T sleep through the night (smaller, more frequent feeding are healthier than empty calories that just fill the stomach), they have discovered that introducing solids too early causes intestinal bleeding and can lead to many intestinal problems as an adult.

Here's an article that you might want to read before you start advocating something that is VERY unhealthy. Where that one came from, there are thousands others that prove that starting solids before 6 months is unhealthy and that for about the first year+ that breastmilk (optimally) or formula is going to give all the NUTRITION they need. Filling a belly, is not necessarily nutritious. Thank goodness we've come along in the past 36 years.

No offense meant, just saying that times and knowledge have changed. The AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Lets get this back on track shall we? If anyone has more ideas for MRoseB about what to feed her little guy I think she would appreciate it. If we want to continue the liquid vs solid diet bit for babies I'll split off the posts and start a new thread. Again...it serves no purpose to post articles as its easy to find things about any subject and opinion you choose. Everyone does as they feel best.

Any more ideas on finger foods?

Lets get this back on track shall we? If anyone has more ideas for MRoseB about what to feed her little guy I think she would appreciate it. If we want to continue the liquid vs solid diet bit for babies I'll split off the posts and start a new thread. Again...it serves no purpose to post articles as its easy to find things about any subject and opinion you choose. Everyone does as they feel best.

Any more ideas on finger foods?

Thanks Alix and the suggestions

Mine are all grown, were not breast fed, it was impossible..So formula was the thing..My first son was 9 lbs and something 24 inches long. at one week he was started on rice cereal mixed with his formula..Two weeks later I was told to pick a fruit and 2 weeks after that a veggie..Why? the poor child would suck down his milk and then about 10 minutes later would cry til he got more food. He was never over weight but loved his food which has carried over to this day..He is now six three and about 190 lbs. All my kids loved their fruits and veggies..For me the main thing,be it breast feeding or a bottle, make sure you snuggle that baby..I made my girls angry when the grand kids were about 1 they were plopped in a high chair and a plate of food put in front of them..Mommy then ate to her hearts content while baby chucked his/her food on the floor...I was taught that yep you are hungry, but your baby is fed first no matter what.What ever your choice, do what your baby demands feeding wise and hold and love them..Whats right for one might not work for another, no one is right nor wrong.What works is the best.
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom