"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

everywhere i go i see kids and adults with the giant sized soda pop. i generally drink caffeine free diet soda. goes good with a sandwich or chips. i do drink coffee in the am. don't care what it does to me, love it and it gets me going. can't and won't give up everything!! i have enough do's and don'ts as it is.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
Senior Cook

These fizzy things don't do a lot for our health. Far too much artificial sweetners, too much sugar otherwise, in Coke and Pepsi, evil amounts of caffeine. My boy George is banned from having Pepsi/Coke as it makes him dreadfully hyper. He'd be climbing walls! And soft drinks are so loaded with carbon dioxide that I can hear him belch from the far end of the garden.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #23
Senior Cook

I think soft drinks are the beverage of the devil!!! Nothing good in them, just sugar and junk!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
Senior Cook

To the OP, my midwife said 1 caffeinated beverage a day was OK while I was pregnant. I know of many women that abstained completely from caffeine while pregnant which is probably the better option.

My dh is addicted to pop. It's bad. He goes through a 12 pack in 2-3 days. Better that than beer though I guess. Need to find a way to wean him to something a little more healthful. I love me some Dr. Pepper but can't handle more than 1 a day due to palpitations and anxiety issues. Sometimes all I really want is the fizz, so I pick up some Perrier instead... so refreshing!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I used to be one of those people who drank Coke from morning until bedtime...5-6 a day.
I started a medication that made anything carbonated taste like liquid metal , and went off Coke cold turkey. NOT pretty, but I did lose 25 lbs in 2 months!
One thing that I really noticed is that the amount of water retention dropped drastically....There is a huge amount of sodium in pop. Also, although before I could drink Coke right until bedtime, now I can't have a coffee after noon, or I don't sleep.
Also, if I DO want a drink and have an ice tea fromthe store, my fingers immediately swell up! There's that sodium again!

Cinder
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i ain't concurring w/ that. people saying 1 kinda sugar is healthier than another is quite the misnomer. shake that 2 your liking; a gram of carbohydrate is 4 kcals per gram, be that ingested via sugar packets, milk, a bottle of pop, or veal~ caffeination may well give jitters, GI ails, anxiety, headaches, & is addictive.......
There are differences. Big ones. And our body reacts differently to different kinds. There is tons of information, and misinformation, out there. All sugars are not created equally. Neither are carbs or fats.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #27
Sous Chef

I used to have a few sips of Mirinda per day when I was pregnant. I was nauseated till the delivery. A few sips of Mirinda made me feel better. My Doc told me small amount of soft drinks (say 200ml per day) did not make any difference.

Now I only drink soft drinks once or twice in a week.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
There are differences. Big ones. And our body reacts differently to different kinds. There is tons of information, and misinformation, out there. All sugars are not created equally. Neither are carbs or fats.
i have several dieticians that gave me this info. 1 should be by monday so i'll let her read that.
while there's carbs that my be deducted, a carb is a carb.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I'm surprised nobody has said much about diet sodas here. Are artificial sweeteners too much of a controversial subject?
I feel the same about most beverages besides water (I'm still on the fence about milk, but I suppose unsweetened soymilk and the like are acceptable to me, too). They are treats. There's nothing you can get from any drink that you can't get from other, healthier sources (including enjoyment, but that's a whole other conversation). Like all other treats, they should be used in moderation. They shouldn't be a substitution for anything else, fruit, water, or otherwise.

That said, I do understand that they can be very useful in medical emergencies. As mentioned before by goodweed, juice is one of the quickest ways to replenish dangerously low blood sugar caused by diabetic emergencies, over-exertion, etc. It was certainly indispensable at blood drives in high school! Sports drinks can be helpful during and after prolonged physical activity, and even chocolate milk can make a reasonable recovery drink.

I have a bottle of juice in my pantry (along with some cookies, a cake mix or two, and even a few boxes of mac n cheese), and occasionally I have a few sips of soda or lemonade at work, but I recognize that these are not the healthiest choices I make during my day. I think it just becomes too much of a habit for many people, including myself at some points in my life, and that's without adding addictive caffeine into the mix.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I used to drink a good bit of soda. Now I only drink it with rum. The rest of the time it's San Pellegrino or plain water. Tap water doesn't bother me. Pretty soon they'll be telling us that breathing is bad for us.

Craig