"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post

Fruit juice (100%) can be drank, but in moderation, and not every day. Whole fruits actually decrease the risk of developing type-2 diabetes by about 18%. If you like fruit, or want your children to eat and drink good things, give them whole fruit, not the juices of fruit.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I wish someone would explain this.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I stopped drinking soft drinks almost a year ago. I never drank the diet sodas. I feel they are more unhealthy than the ones with sugar. I decided I wasa drinking too many and I started feeling better and losing 5-8 pounds in the meantime. (I was not over weight). But, those few pounds came off because the soft drinks stopped. I drink purifed water and organic juice. If I sip a ginger ale I find it too strong and I dont crave it anymore. It was a good choice for me. I think in moderation- we can all eat fast food once in a while, have a Coke or a piece of cake. The problem is- so many people are unable to do it in moderation.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
PattY1, if you just drink the juice all you get from it is simple sugar. If you EAT the fruit you get the benefit of the fiber in the fruit and when you calculate how many carbs/sugars you take in as a diabetic you subtract the number of fiber grams. So...a glass of apple juice might have 23g of carbs no fiber to subtract. An apple would have the same number of carbs, 23g but would also have 13g of fiber. 23-13=10g of carbs instead of the 23g in only the juice.

Does that help at all? And please, no one assume my numbers are accurate, I'm just making up numbers to help illustrate the point.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
The fiber in the fruit slows the absorption of the sugars in the fruit and that prevents spikes in insulin levels. Juice is just the straight-up natural sugars, sometimes concentrated, and those are absorbed more quickly and can lead to spikes/surges in insulin levels. Teaching them to eat the fruit will encourage better eating habits and hopefully not encourage the consumption of "sugary/sweet" beverages.

Also, many juices these days are loaded with extra sugar and HFCS.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #35
Head Chef

Here is a 20 minute video (long I know), with Jamie Oliver.
Jamie Oliver: Teach every child about food. [VIDEO]

It's about teaching our children to eat healthy. In foundations, schools, by government, by corporations, (and mostly by parents in my opinion).

Highlights:

During the video, 4 people in the US will die from food related illnesses. Food related illnesses out number deaths by homicide.

By sweetening and flavoring milk, the average child K-12-16 will consume a wheelbarrow full of sugar, JUST from milk in the school day from school.

Obesity is a life and death problem for the world. Our children will on average a life span 10 years less than we have.

There is much more to this video, I enjoyed it.

-----------------------
My opinion:
I don't think we should depend on institutions or corporations to teach us how to eat/drink healthy, I think it should be the family's job, a cultural change will have to take place. We have to cook with our families. If WE change the culture, then, the marketers, the advertisers, the corporations will follow our lead.

If we don't allow soda in the home (my parents didn't), adults may not drink soda (I don't except for 4 times a year at most). I didn't buy soda for my kids and they aren't slaves to it now that they are grown.

If we sweeten our milk with sugar for children, we set them up to crave sugar sweetened drinks for the REST of their lives. SODA?

I'm preaching to the choir. thanks for listening.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
PattY1, if you just drink the juice all you get from it is simple sugar. If you EAT the fruit you get the benefit of the fiber in the fruit and when you calculate how many carbs/sugars you take in as a diabetic you subtract the number of fiber grams. So...a glass of apple juice might have 23g of carbs no fiber to subtract. An apple would have the same number of carbs, 23g but would also have 13g of fiber. 23-13=10g of carbs instead of the 23g in only the juice.

Does that help at all? And please, no one assume my numbers are accurate, I'm just making up numbers to help illustrate the point.
Also, it takes a number of apples or oranges to make a glass of juice. You would usually be satisfied by one or two pieces of fruit. So, not only do you get the fibre, you don't get sugar from so many pieces of fruit, when you eat whole fruit.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
everywhere i go i see kids and adults with the giant sized soda pop. i generally drink caffeine free diet soda. goes good with a sandwich or chips. i do drink coffee in the am. don't care what it does to me, love it and it gets me going. can't and won't give up everything!! i have enough do's and don'ts as it is.
But one or two cups of coffee a day is actually good for you.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
The fiber in the fruit slows the absorption of the sugars in the fruit and that prevents spikes in insulin levels. Juice is just the straight-up natural sugars, sometimes concentrated, and those are absorbed more quickly and can lead to spikes/surges in insulin levels. Teaching them to eat the fruit will encourage better eating habits and hopefully not encourage the consumption of "sugary/sweet" beverages.

Also, many juices these days are loaded with extra sugar and HFCS.

Thank you Dave.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Caffeine

I had been having heart palpitations for quite a while and never really understood why. A friend of mine asked how much caffeine I was drinking per day. Well, coffee throughout the day and in the evening plus 2 or 3 sodas per day. She told me to try and cut down and even stop drinking beverages that contained it. I did as she said and the palpitations completely stopped. I do not drink caffeine at all any longer and if I do, the palpitations return. If it causes your heart beat to race and be irregular, no one needs it. http://heartsafecooking.com
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #40
Senior Cook

When I was a kid I ate and drank quite alot of rubbish foods. I don't drink fizzy drinks anymore and don't even buy ready made juices, there is so much sugar in them, they're not healthy so what's the point?