How to make Broccoli delicious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mish said:
Broccoli with Pine Nuts & Raisins

3/4 pound broccoli, cut into spears
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup raisins

Heat 1 cup water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; add broccoli. Cook about 10 minutes or until stems are crisp-tender; drain.

Melt butter in skillet. Cook pine nuts in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Stir pine nuts into broccoli. Sprinkle with raisins.

Hi, Mish,
Which region use pine nuts in cooking? just curious.
I will definitely try this one.

Thanks.

I keep a bag of frozen around all the time. My favorite way is with angel hair pasta (I'm using barilla's "plus" these days to up the nutritional value), red pepper flakes, salad olives, Cavendar's greek seasoning. Olive oil and some sort of strong cheese (blue, feta, parm, etc). Yummm.

you guys got me onto broccolli last night so we had it topped with some nacho cheese, simple but tasty...

I have a good all-purpose way of cooking broccoli, as well as other veggies: use about 1/2 cup of broth- chicken, beef, or mushroom work especially well, just use a really good quality broth such as Pacific (found in Whole Foods) or Wolfgang Puck, or Trader Joe's- organic, too, preferably. Just cut the broccoli into florets, putting the stem (peel it, too, please) pieces in the bottom. The broccoli steams/parboils- when it is just tender-crisp, it's done! You can also pour off the broth, and add in a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil at this point and give it a quick fry, too. My husband, a professed broccoli-hater eats this every time!

Broccoli sauce for pasta for four

Steam or boil a pound or so of broccoli till soft. Drain and chop finely. Cut up a couple of oz of bacon into small pieces and fry in butter (my favourite) or olive oil. Don't have the heat up too high - you don't want it to go crispy. Add a couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic for a few seconds and then stir in the broccoli and half a pint of milk. Cook on a reasonable flame for 10 to 15 mins till you are left with a creamy sauce, which you then serve on pasta with freshly grated parmesan if you're allowed it.

I know it sounds like the broccoli is overcooked, but I promise you it works. My partner is not a great fan of green vegetables, but he likes this.

sauteed with olive oil, garlic and lemon zest.

My mother used to make fried broccoli florets when we were kids. She's steam them for a very short while, then bread them like cutlets, and then pan fry them, served with grated parmesan. It was wonderful but hard to rationalize now. All the breading and oil defeats the purpose of the healthy vegetable...but, still, it was delicious.

Pasadena, we love broccoli fixed that way. I use the chicken broth, a little minced garlic, and a tablespoon or so of butter.
DH just brought a couple of beautiful bunches home from the market yesterday.

BROCCOLI BEAN AND BOWTIE PASTA SALAD 4 oz bowtie pasta cooked tender and drained
11 oz can mandarin oranges; drained
15 oz can garbanzo beans; drained and rinsed
1 large bunch of fresh broccoli; washed, trimmed and chopped
2 green onions; sliced thin

Dressing:
1/4 c white vinegar
1/4 c orange juice
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper

In large salad bowl, toss cooled pasta with mandarin oranges and vegetables. In a shaker container combine ingredients for the dressing; shake to mix.Pour dressing over the salad. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until serving time.

I love this recipe.

Roasted!! Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425* for 10-15 minutes.

I just sort of made this up. I boiled the water and simmered the brocolli until it was pretty much done. Than I strained it, back in the pan. Threw some sesame oil and soy sauce and a very little bit of beef broth. stirred it around and heated it up in the pan. I liked it and my DH made a comment about it...saying that it was good.

grumblebee said:
This sounds a bit odd, but my Mom used to take leftover cooked broccoli from the fridge, add in a bit of mayonnaise (you can use reduced fat or low fat miracle whip), salt and pepper and we'd eat it cold w/ the simple dressing. It's really tasty this way even though it sounds weird.

My DIL makes a wonderful salad with the same base and adds raisins, apples and nuts. Yummy!

broccoli and cauloflower sandwiches.

steam the B & C florets till their tender, put them in pita with mayo, sliced onions, and if you please raw cabbage or lettuce little S&P and your golden. sounds odd, but it really is one of the favourites round this house!

another one (although this is for Cauliflower not broccoli).

steam C, mash up with just a touch of mayo, chopped onion, S&P. then put in between two peices of bread with some grated cheese, butter the outside of the bread (as you would grilled cheese) and fry (as you would grilled cheese). OMG this is good!!

It's also nice with some stem ginger or fresh ginger, finely chopped and mixed through it with a knob of butter.

Constance said:
By the way, if you eat just one average sized, raw broccoli floret a day, it will give you all the calcium your body needs. Or so says my holistic practitioner.

I think it takes a bit more than that, although not much :) According to the The World's Healthiest Foods Web site (extensively referenced), 1 cup of broccoli has 205% of your calcium needs, so you'd need 1/2 cup to get 100% or so. That's probably 3-4 florets.

Here's broccoli's nutritional profile: WHFoods: Broccoli

csalt said:
It's also nice with some stem ginger or fresh ginger, finely chopped and mixed through it with a knob of butter.

What is stem ginger, Csalt?

Garlic, I never stop at one floret of broccoli, anyway. In fact, I love the stuff so much, I tend to over-indulge. (Talk about going green! :ermm: )

My family will eat almost anything with cheese on it. I make it really lazy. I buy the steam fresh b\c you can cook it in the bag in the microwave. Then I just sprinkle it with fat free cheese any kind will do. They love it and I have a 3 yr 6yr and a 7yr old.

Back
Top Bottom