"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #41
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by mish
Broccoli with Pine Nuts & Raisins

3/4 pound broccoli, cut into spears
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup raisins

Heat 1 cup water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; add broccoli. Cook about 10 minutes or until stems are crisp-tender; drain.

Melt butter in skillet. Cook pine nuts in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Stir pine nuts into broccoli. Sprinkle with raisins.
Hi, Mish,
Which region use pine nuts in cooking? just curious.
I will definitely try this one.

Eat. Drink. Be Merry. Live Long. Prosper.
Love2Eat from Asia to Brazil to California to Hawaii to Texas
love2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #42
Master Chef
I keep a bag of frozen around all the time. My favorite way is with angel hair pasta (I'm using barilla's "plus" these days to up the nutritional value), red pepper flakes, salad olives, Cavendar's greek seasoning. Olive oil and some sort of strong cheese (blue, feta, parm, etc). Yummm.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #43
Assistant Cook
Have you tried a brocoli quiche? You can use low fat cheeses and egg beaters
Barb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #44
Senior Cook
Wow aunti, I think you just gave me something to bring to next supper at in laws. Thx :)
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #45
Senior Cook
you guys got me onto broccolli last night so we had it topped with some nacho cheese, simple but tasty...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albrighthttp://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/tripcopy.jpg
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #46
Assistant Cook
I have a good all-purpose way of cooking broccoli, as well as other veggies: use about 1/2 cup of broth- chicken, beef, or mushroom work especially well, just use a really good quality broth such as Pacific (found in Whole Foods) or Wolfgang Puck, or Trader Joe's- organic, too, preferably. Just cut the broccoli into florets, putting the stem (peel it, too, please) pieces in the bottom. The broccoli steams/parboils- when it is just tender-crisp, it's done! You can also pour off the broth, and add in a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil at this point and give it a quick fry, too. My husband, a professed broccoli-hater eats this every time!
Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #47
Head Chef
Broccoli sauce for pasta for four

Steam or boil a pound or so of broccoli till soft. Drain and chop finely. Cut up a couple of oz of bacon into small pieces and fry in butter (my favourite) or olive oil. Don't have the heat up too high - you don't want it to go crispy. Add a couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic for a few seconds and then stir in the broccoli and half a pint of milk. Cook on a reasonable flame for 10 to 15 mins till you are left with a creamy sauce, which you then serve on pasta with freshly grated parmesan if you're allowed it.

I know it sounds like the broccoli is overcooked, but I promise you it works. My partner is not a great fan of green vegetables, but he likes this.
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #48
Senior Cook
This is a good broccoli recipe.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #49
Executive Chef
sauteed with olive oil, garlic and lemon zest.

My mother used to make fried broccoli florets when we were kids. She's steam them for a very short while, then bread them like cutlets, and then pan fry them, served with grated parmesan. It was wonderful but hard to rationalize now. All the breading and oil defeats the purpose of the healthy vegetable...but, still, it was delicious.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #50
Master Chef
Pasadena, we love broccoli fixed that way. I use the chicken broth, a little minced garlic, and a tablespoon or so of butter.
DH just brought a couple of beautiful bunches home from the market yesterday.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote