"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 01-31-2007, 10:52 AM   #51
Assistant Cook
BROCCOLI BEAN AND BOWTIE PASTA SALAD 4 oz bowtie pasta cooked tender and drained
11 oz can mandarin oranges; drained
15 oz can garbanzo beans; drained and rinsed
1 large bunch of fresh broccoli; washed, trimmed and chopped
2 green onions; sliced thin

1/4 c white vinegar
1/4 c orange juice
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper

In large salad bowl, toss cooled pasta with mandarin oranges and vegetables. In a shaker container combine ingredients for the dressing; shake to mix.Pour dressing over the salad. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until serving time.

I love this recipe.

suitechic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #52
Sous Chef
Roasted!! Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425* for 10-15 minutes.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #53
Head Chef
I just sort of made this up. I boiled the water and simmered the brocolli until it was pretty much done. Than I strained it, back in the pan. Threw some sesame oil and soy sauce and a very little bit of beef broth. stirred it around and heated it up in the pan. I liked it and my DH made a comment about it...saying that it was good.
My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #54
Head Chef
Originally Posted by grumblebee
This sounds a bit odd, but my Mom used to take leftover cooked broccoli from the fridge, add in a bit of mayonnaise (you can use reduced fat or low fat miracle whip), salt and pepper and we'd eat it cold w/ the simple dressing. It's really tasty this way even though it sounds weird.
My DIL makes a wonderful salad with the same base and adds raisins, apples and nuts. Yummy!
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #55
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I love mine with toasted garlic and browned butter. Works great w/ cauliflower too.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #56
Sous Chef
broccoli and cauloflower sandwiches.

steam the B & C florets till their tender, put them in pita with mayo, sliced onions, and if you please raw cabbage or lettuce little S&P and your golden. sounds odd, but it really is one of the favourites round this house!

another one (although this is for Cauliflower not broccoli).

steam C, mash up with just a touch of mayo, chopped onion, S&P. then put in between two peices of bread with some grated cheese, butter the outside of the bread (as you would grilled cheese) and fry (as you would grilled cheese). OMG this is good!!
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #57
Sous Chef
It's also nice with some stem ginger or fresh ginger, finely chopped and mixed through it with a knob of butter.
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Constance
By the way, if you eat just one average sized, raw broccoli floret a day, it will give you all the calcium your body needs. Or so says my holistic practitioner.
I think it takes a bit more than that, although not much According to the The World's Healthiest Foods Web site (extensively referenced), 1 cup of broccoli has 205% of your calcium needs, so you'd need 1/2 cup to get 100% or so. That's probably 3-4 florets.

Here's broccoli's nutritional profile: WHFoods: Broccoli
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #59
Master Chef
Originally Posted by csalt
It's also nice with some stem ginger or fresh ginger, finely chopped and mixed through it with a knob of butter.
What is stem ginger, Csalt?

Garlic, I never stop at one floret of broccoli, anyway. In fact, I love the stuff so much, I tend to over-indulge. (Talk about going green! )
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #60
My family will eat almost anything with cheese on it. I make it really lazy. I buy the steam fresh b\c you can cook it in the bag in the microwave. Then I just sprinkle it with fat free cheese any kind will do. They love it and I have a 3 yr 6yr and a 7yr old.

rbmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote