How to make Broccoli delicious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2eat

Assistant Cook
I love broccoli. I like its antioxidant power. But I am tired of same flavor. Do you have any delicious recipe to share?

My wife is diabetic, low sodium, no carb, low fat are the basic requirements.

Here is my lazy way to cook broccoli:
2 cups cut broccoli crowns
dash ground pepper
dash garlic powder
2 tbsp water or broth
2 squirts amino
1 tbsp butter-flavored Fleishmann spread

combine and cover with microwaveable wrap and nuke it for 3 minutes.

Cook it to your liking then shock it, toss with a touch of butter, caramelized onions, fresh garlic, parmesan cheese and top with mozzarella, bake or microwave only till cheese melts.

You can also toss it with red pasta sauce and topped with your favorite melted cheeses.

Cook it in chicken stock and mix in some white rice, topped with cheddar

Dina that sounds perfect! Yummy. Here's a recipe that I just found. Mario Batali's Broccoli Directions Cut 3 pounds broccoli into spears. Heat 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 4 thinly sliced garlic cloves in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add broccoli and cook, tossing frequently and gradually adding 1 cup dry white wine to keep garlic from browning. Cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon hot red-pepper flakes and grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange. Toss gently. Serves 4.

How about tossing with olive oil, some red pepper flakes and even a little crushed fresh garlic and roasting it in the oven? Roasted broccoli and cauliflower are really excellent.

This sounds a bit odd, but my Mom used to take leftover cooked broccoli from the fridge, add in a bit of mayonnaise (you can use reduced fat or low fat miracle whip), salt and pepper and we'd eat it cold w/ the simple dressing. It's really tasty this way even though it sounds weird.

Last edited:
Oh, I had another idea! Broccoli casserole:

Cut broccoli into bite size florets and blanche until slightly cooked. Put broccoli in casserole dish and cover with 1 can of reduced fat cream of broccoli or cream of mushroom soup. (reconstitute the soup w/ 1 can of milk before adding it to broccoli) Cover broccoli w/ seasoned penko and a bit of freshly grated parmasan cheese. (if you only use a little bit the fat content will stay relitively low) Bake in oven until top is golden brown.

I usually just braise it in chicken broth with a bit of butter, garlic, salt and pepper.

I also have many, many other broccoli recipes, so if you want more, just ask.

By the way, if you eat just one average sized, raw broccoli floret a day, it will give you all the calcium your body needs. Or so says my holistic practitioner.

a fresh lemmon juice tarragon olive oil dressing tossed with whole wheat noodles or boiled new potatoes. real nice (also good with stringbeans)

Dont have much to offer for suggestions, but my guess would be Robo's idea, seeing as this is low sugar, low salt, low carb, low fat.

Constance said:
By the way, if you eat just one average sized, raw broccoli floret a day, it will give you all the calcium your body needs. Or so says my holistic practitioner.

How big of a floret did they say to eat?

One cup of chopped broccoli contains roughly 50mg of calcium. Women need between 800-1200mg of calcium daily, so methinks one floret of broccoli wont cut it! :-p

Sauted broccoli and mushrooms go really well together. I like to use a mixture of shiitakes, creminis, and oyster mushrooms, saute them with butter, garlic, and shallots, and then toss in blanced broccoli. Good stuff!

I love broccoli myself and I have read that raw broccoli is better for you than cooked broccoli. My favorite way to eat broccoli raw, and still have taste, is to put a bunch of florets in a bowl and put a little italian dressing on it. just a little, not a lot. Fat free dresing is not needed because you would afterall, be eating a big bowl of raw broccoli:chef: .

grumblebee said:
How big of a floret did they say to eat?

One cup of chopped broccoli contains roughly 50mg of calcium. Women need between 800-1200mg of calcium daily, so methinks one floret of broccoli wont cut it! :-p

Please re-read my information source.

Try topping your broccoli with a compound butter. I like to use an orange butter.

All you need is whole butter and some orange juice, maybe some orange zest. Mix together until completely incorporated. Don't use too much orange juice, you still want it to be mostly butter.

Heat your broccoli and toss with some of your compound butter and you have a completely new taste. You can put almost any flavor in your butter so this gives you an infinate selection of flavors.

Also try topping with a mixture of breadcrumbs, fresh herbs (basil/oregano) a little olive oil and parmesan cheese. Mix these together, top your broccoli, and bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown.

:chef:

Raw Broccoli Salad

You might enjoy this raw broccoli salad. I grow broccoli in my garden and prepare it many different ways, but this salad is always the most popular with family and friends.

RAW BROCCOLI SALAD
1 bunch of fresh broccoli heads, washed and cut into small florets
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup sunflower seeds, raw or roasted
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped

Combine all the above ingredients and toss with the dressing below.

DRESSING
1/4 cup mayonnaise (light or fat free may be used)
1/4 cup sour cream (light or fat free may be used)
2 TBS sugar (sugar substitute may be used)
2 TBS red wine or cider vinegar

Combine the above ingredients and pour over raw broccoli mixture. Toss well. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

(You may substitute 1/2 cup mayo or Miracle Whip for the 1/4 cup mayo and the 1/4 cup sour cream.)

Roasting it tossed in a little oil, salt and pepper, at about 425 degrees brings out the sweetness, and also makes a delicious crunch of the tops of the florets!

Back
Top Bottom