"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I shrank my stomach by washing it in hot water and putting it in the dryer.
I tried that, didn't work.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #12
Master Chef

Your idea of simple single serving mini meals is interesting to me.

I did some quick searches and found several tips and lists for this type of thing.

I would add some fresh apples, oranges, peanuts/peanut butter, eggs, raw vegetables, tomato juice, yogurt and a big jar of Claussen dill pickles. I would also try to cut back on the fatty processed meat and try using a sprinkle of real grated Romano cheese instead of the Velveeta.

IMO if you are 72 and in reasonably good health you should be able to coast well into your eighties no matter what you eat!

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I tried that, didn't work.
My mistake. That was my wool sweater, not my stomach.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Head Chef

Right before going to Boy Scout camp, I heard about shrinking your stomach. Can't say it helped or hurt. We all ended up having diarrhea anyways.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #15
Head Chef

Can't believe everyone is going on about Velveeta Cheese....

THE ONLY cheese that is scientifically proven to be the best sliced cheese (in North America) to be used in a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Also the best 'plastic wrapped american cheese' to be used in making a traditional Mac 'n Cheese. Although other cheeses are acceptable as additions, Velveeta must be the main ingredient (along with the pasta, of course).

and as much as I love all of the above... it turns out I am super sensitive to Velveeta American Cheese... does "thru the eye of a needle at fifty paces" mean anything to anyone???
Old 04-14-2017, 01:31 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Can't believe everyone is going on about Velveeta Cheese....

THE ONLY cheese that is scientifically proven to be the best sliced cheese (in North America) to be used in a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Also the best 'plastic wrapped american cheese' to be used in making a traditional Mac 'n Cheese. Although other cheeses are acceptable as additions, Velveeta must be the main ingredient (along with the pasta, of course).

and as much as I love all of the above... it turns out I am super sensitive to Velveeta American Cheese... does "thru the eye of a needle at fifty paces" mean anything to anyone???
Pasteurized Process Cheese Food Product is what burger joints use on their cheeseburgers, sad to say. That stuff doesn't even need to be refrigerated. I buy Kraft American Deluxe Cheese Slices, requiring refrigeration.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
Executive Chef

There are some recipes out there to make velveeta. Essentially, you shred up cheddar cheese, using hot water and oil, melt and mix it, in a blender or food processor. I've done this, it turns out fine. The only issue I had with it is that it will begin to get moldy after 7 days in the refrigerator, so it needs to be used right away. I didn't freeze it so I don't know how that might affect it.

I found this recipe the other day, of how to make velveeta from scratch, but I would not expect it to last long in the refrigerator. Homemade Velveeta | A Better Whey
Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I eat my big meal in the morning--protein, greens, fruit/veggies. I don't eat processed foods, additional carbs (no bread, no crackers, no pasta), white flour, or sugar. Thank goodness I have never been a pasta freak. Tipping the pyramid re: when I ate my biggest meal of the day upside down, shrunk all of me. I love being a size xs / 6 and 5'6" tall. I have no idea how much I weigh, but I love being slim.

Try the pyramid flip for 30 days, remove processed foods, white flour, sugar, and pasta. You will be amazed how you feel and how much you "shrink." I shrunk 1 size in 3 weeks by changing when I ate my biggest meal of the day and by removing white. Processed food was never an issue for me. I still enjoy the foods I love.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I thought that eating the smaller meals actually shrank your stomach over time. I know it helps you be satisfied with less food, if you were over eating before. So, I learned something today. It just helps reset your appetite "thermostat" (appestat?).
Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #20
Cook

To the original question: It doesn't matter what type of diet you are on (Low carb or some other type of diet), the best way to "shrink" your stomach is to start the diet with three to five days of "extreme" dieting. That is, eat about HALF of the amount of food that you will be eating during the diet for a very short period of time, and go through the agony of "starving" yourself for a couple of days. This will do the trick for most people.

BE SURE that if you do this that you are VERY healthy with no heart issues and that you discuss it with your doctor first. It does work, but it isn't for everyone.

For what it's worth, I have lost 70 pounds over the past 8 months and I'm within 30 pounds of my goal weight (and within 25 pounds of what height and weight charts would say is the high end of my "ideal" range). I used a very-low calorie, low carb, low fat based diet that is CLOSELY monitored by an ARPN with blood work every few months and an EKG at the beginning repeated after the loss of 50 pounds. My total caloric intake is about 800 calories per day (when I don't cheat).

When you consider how large the earth is, and how the earth is just a speck compared to the sun, and the sun is just a speck in the universe, you realize there is no reason not to eat a whole chocolate cake.
ixamnis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to