"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How To Shrink Your Stomach

Out of curiosity, I looked online to find out how people are shrinking their stomach so that they eat less. Looks like they are eating 300 calories every 3 hours. So to lose weight, if someone wanted to consume 1500 calories per day, they would eat 5 times a day. Five times might sound like a lot, but many people eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, so eating 5 times per day is pretty much normal.

When I learned about this stomach-shrinking, I was eating low carb, but low carb foods are mostly high in calories. If someone is eating low carb and wants to eat healthy (no frankenfood), to figure out 300 calorie meals will give you a tiny (and I do mean tiny) piece of meat and a little bit of veggies - not at all filling. Well, I am 72, have eaten frankenfood most of my life, and am still alive and kicking. I was able to come up with some 300 calorie meals that are pretty satisfying. If you eat frankenfood, you might find these 300 (or less) calorie meals to be helpful. 3 of the recipes sound pretty similar, but changing the vegetables changes the taste a lot. Truth is, it is very difficult to come up with single-serving recipes that are around 300 calories, but that taste good. I do not do multi-servings and divide and freeze or eat later (leftovers).

Calorie counts matter, that is why brand names matter.

OATMEAL AND CINNAMON TOAST - 264 calories
1/2 cup quick oats, dry - 150
1 cup water
Splenda to taste

2 slices Pepperidge Farms Very Thin 100% whole wheat bread - 74
1 tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light - 40

Stir together:
cinnamon
granulated Splenda

Microwave the oats and water 1 1/2 minutes. Butter the toast, place in a skillet just until the butter is melted. Flip over and sprinkle with cinnamon/Splenda mixture and cook until the bottom is lightly browned.

MUG CHICKEN AND CHEESE
198 calories plus vegetable calories when made with 3 oz chicken
220 calories plus vegetable calories when made with 4 oz chicken

1 oz. Barilla whole grain rotini, dry = 90
1 can chicken in water - drain, then weigh - 3 oz = 68; 4 oz = 90
1 slice Velveeta singles, original = 40
veggies that will bring the total number of calories for this recipe to about 300

Small pot - bring a small amount of water to boil, add the pasta, cook as directed on box, drain.
Place the chicken in a large mug (I use a 20 oz mug) or bowl. Add the veggies, cover with plastic wrap, vent, microwave high 4 minutes. Stir in the pasta, place the cheese on top, microwave 45 seconds and stir. Salt to taste

MUG SAUSAGE SOUP
185 calories plus vegetable calories

1 oz Barilla whole grain thin spaghetti - 90
1 Banquet Brown N Serve sausage patty - 75
1/4 cup tomato sauce - 20
veggies that will bring the total number of calories for this recipe to about 300
1/3 cup water

Small pot - bring a small amount of water to boil, add the pasta, cook as directed on box, drain.
Microwave the sausage in a large mug or bowl 10 seconds to defrost. Cut into 8 pie wedges, cover with a paper towel, microwave high 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce and veggies, cover with plastic wrap, vent, microwave high 4 to 6 mintues until tender. Add the water, then stir in the spaghetti. Microwave 1 minute, salt to taste.

MUG SAUSAGE AND VEGGIES
205 calories plus vegetable calories

1 oz Barilla whole grain thin spaghetti - 90
1 Banquet Brown N Serve sausage patty - 75
1 slice Velveeta singles, original - 40
vegetables that will bring the total number of calories for this recipe to about 300

Microwave the sausage in a large mug or bowl 10 seconds to defrost. Cut into 8 pie wedges, cover with a paper towel, microwave high 30 seconds. Add the vegetables, cover with plastic wrap, vent, microwave high 4 minutes, stir. Place the cheese on top, microwave 1 minute, stir. Stir in the pasta. Salt to taste.

GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH - 134 calories for one; 268 calories for two
2 slices Pepperidge Farms Very Thin 100% whole wheat bread = 74
1/2 tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light = 20

CHICKEN TAMALES WITH CHEESE - 300 calories
[NOTE: Chicken tamales have less calories than beef tamales, I have only been able to find them in my area, at Dollar Tree.]
1 can Hormel chicken tamales - 260

Remove paper from the tamales, place on a plate, discard the liquid. Top with the cheese and microwave on high 1 1/2 minutes.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
Wine Guy

I love how everyone has their own definition of what "healthy" is. With all the pasta and bread, this wouldn't fit my definition at all. But if it works for you, great.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindance View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked online to find out how people are shrinking their stomach so that they eat less. Looks like they are eating 300 calories every 3 hours. So to lose weight, if someone wanted to consume 1500 calories per day, they would eat 5 times a day. Five times might sound like a lot, but many people eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, so eating 5 times per day is pretty much normal...
I'd like to see the actual sources you are using for this information. "Online" is pretty vague Not all sources are equally reliable.

Most doctors agree that, once you are an adult, your stomach will not change size without surgery: http://www.webmd.com/women/features/stomach-problems

1,500 calories per day is pretty restrictive, which is why that type of diet will generally lead to weight loss.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Master Chef

You are eating Velveeta five times a day to literally shrink the size of your stomach????????????
Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

The stomach is a muscle. If you eat more, it stretches. If you eat less, over time it contracts. As I said, this isn't for people who only eat 'healthy food', unless someone can come up with some single-serving meals that are 300 calories or less, and would fill a person up for at least 3 hours. When I eat 300 calories worth of veggies, I'm only good for about half an hour, then the stomach starts growling.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The stomach is a muscle. If you eat more, it stretches. If you eat less, over time it contracts. As I said, this isn't for people who only eat 'healthy food', unless someone can come up with some single-serving meals that are 300 calories or less, and would fill a person up for at least 3 hours. When I eat 300 calories worth of veggies, I'm only good for about half an hour, then the stomach starts growling.
No, it doesn't. From the link I posted earlier: http://www.webmd.com/women/features/stomach-problems

Quote:
2. Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.

Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.
If you combine protein and fat with carbs, digestion is slowed and you will feel full longer. So add some roasted chicken strips or leftover steak to your salad, or have some tuna or chicken salad on crackers to go with your veggie sticks. Or a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit. There are lots of ways to accomplish this.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

The Web MD article is based on what Dr. Moyad says. I'm curious to know what other doctors say about whether or not the stomach muscle can shrink if you are an adult. I know people who were very sick and couldn't eat much for a while. After they were well, they were unable to hold much food.

As for processed food; hamburger, sausage and bacon are all processed as well as cream cheese, sour cream, etc. 'Processed' means anything they do to alter the original food before it reaches our hands. And most cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys are given antibiotics, hormones, who knows what. I have seen video of 'free-range' chicken farms. All that means is the chickens are allowed to go outside in an open pen, but videos show they are so crammed together, they can hardly move. So I have no qualms about eating frankenfood.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The Web MD article is based on what Dr. Moyad says. I'm curious to know what other doctors say about whether or not the stomach muscle can shrink if you are an adult.
And as I said before, I'd like to see your source for the idea that the stomach gets bigger and smaller. Since you're making the claim, it's on you to prove it

Dr. Moyad is a physician-researcher at the University of Michigan. I would think he knows what he's talking about and WebMD is well-known for providing reliable, evidence-based information.

I don't know why you keep talking about "frankenfood." I don't even know what you mean by that.

Quote:
I know people who were very sick and couldn't eat much for a while. After they were well, they were unable to hold much food.
That has to do with one's appetite, not the size of the stomach. I have inflammatory bowel disease and was quite severely ill before and after surgery. My recovery was long and difficult and I didn't have much appetite. I'm sure with all the scans I had before and after, my doctors would have noticed, and mentioned, if my stomach had changed in size. In fact, I'm sure they would have warned me about this possibility, if it was a possibility. That's part of getting informed consent.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
Master Chef

Why do you want to shrink your stomach? What good will that do you? That I just don't get, sorry ....

BTW hard boiled eggs are only 80 calories and are an excellent healthy alternative to velveeta and canned chicken and tamales.

GG is right that lean, healthy proteins are what you need to stave off hunger
Old 04-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Master Chef

I shrank my stomach by washing it in hot water and putting it in the dryer.

Tags
how to