I don't know how to cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobby

Assistant Cook
I don't know how to cook. In fact, I don't have the slightest idea where to start. Cooking interests me for two reasons:

1. I am trying to lose weight and have been told several times that it would be a valuable and beneficent skill to learn how to cook

2. I want to impress members of the opposite gender.

So... Where do I start? What are some useful tools to start out with? And, most importantly, do you have any easy, healthy, recipes I can try.

Thanks a bunch :)

Oh Boy, bobby, did you ever come to the right place!

This is the most helpful bunch I've ever seen - you just need to tell us what your situation is with respect to utensils, pots, pans, kitchen...etc...and something about what sort of foods you like!

We're glad to help you!

Welcome bobby. You really did come to the right place. My first piece of advice is to get a good cookbook. Personally I really like Mark Bittermans book "How To Cook Everything". I think it is a very well rounded book that has good explanations as to why you do what you do when you cook. Find a recipe that looks interesting and jump right in. With cooking it is best to learn by doing IMO. There are a ton of very knowledgeable people on this board so ask as many questions as you can think of and I promise you will get a ton of great advice.

And I love your motivation...Women love men who cook :cool:

Bobby, you have already taken that first step. Having the desire to cook. There are many ways and options to learn to cook. Watching cooking shows, reading food section of newspaper, magazines, cookbooks, and other cooks. And now days you have the Internet. Check locally, community college, etc for cooking classes.

Search newspaper and cookbooks, etc for recipe that interest you, simple ones to start, and then try it. Practice, practice,practice.

Of course, if you have any questions, just holler. We have a good cross-section of helpful, knowegeable folks here.

You never know, we all might learn something!

Wow, I’m overwhelmed.

I was hoping to make something with mostly vegetables and maybe a little bit of chicken or fish.

As far as my situation goes, as of now, I'm limited on my utensils and cookware, but I am willing to start building up supplies as necessary.

I'm limited on my cookware vocabulary, but I will do my best.

Stovetop: Pots, Saucepans, and one of those flat thingies

Bake: Glass and metal rectangular things (like to bake casseroles in) cookie sheets, muffin sheets

Utensils/other: colanders, both kinds of spatulas, potato peeler, cheese grater - I'm willing to pick up anything within reason that'll fit into this category.

I have access to an oven, microwave, blender, and maybe a few more things(if my mom doesn't have them)

While we're at it, is there a "complete idiots guide to cookware terms" someone could link me to? hehe

ah, and while I was typing up that last one, two excelent ideas! thanks GB and Rainee. I sure don't have to worry about being ignored here

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Bobby. I'm happy you found us! Don't be a stranger my friend.:)

Check out the Terms & Techniques forum. Bunch of stuff in there. Cooking terms, ingredients, temp/cooking times.

Is there a community college nearby? Maybe a cooking class. I think it's horrible that home ec barely exists in schools. It was always my favorite class.

Teaching my daughter to cook was one area where I failed miserably. My only defense is that she has a disability and I put all my energy into giving her the tools needed to overcome it. She had 6 weeks of cooking in junior high. By the time she had room in her schedule, cooking was no longer offered.

Welcome, Bobby,

It looks as though you have a good rudimentary start as far as utensils go. I couldn't cook without my whisk and wooden spoons . As soon as you an afford it, I would urge you to get a good set of knives, also.

Everyone on these boards is going to want to help you out, so keep the questions coming. We're cooks at all levels, so you will benefit from all of our advice, I hope.

I have also heard somewhere that a children's cookbook will be helpful to a person who has never cooked. It may be worth looking into.

Anyway, good luck and keep asking questions.

Welcome Bobby........everyone has given you wonderful advice. Here is a place you can always come to and get your answers. I was amazed when I started watching the food network cooking channel at all the different terms and techniques I learnt. I recommend you watch some of these........you'll be amazed at the things you will learn. I recommend the following since your just starting out Paula Dean, Rachael Ray's 30 Min Meals, How To Boil Water, Food 911, and Everyday Italian.

Good suggestion SizzlininIN! I would also add Good Eats to that list. I actually find that show to be the one I learn the most from because Alton teach why you do things, not just how.

Altons too scientific for me.........to be perfectly honest he scares me :) ..........I'm more apt to watch shows where I could pull up a chair to the cook surface and watch and chat right along with the cook and not feel intimidated.

Where exactly are you ? Are you in the continental United States?

I think what you need more than anything is a REALLY basic cookbook. That is how I started out, and I have never looked back. I still use it sometimes, because it works.

But there is no point in recommending one if it is not available in your locality.

ti.gif
ee.gif

Yes, I'm in the continental United States. Please recommend away :)

Back
Top Bottom