"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Hoyum View Post
Loosing weight is as simple as eating fewer calories than you burn.
If losing weight was that simple we wouldn't be a society with more obesity than ever. It's not simple at all to lose weight. And there's no magic formula for anyone and that listed is certainly not a magic formula. Everyone's body is different and it isn't one thing or the other. According to your statement someone could eat nothing all day and run miles and miles and lose all they want. Anyone who's ever tried to lose weight will tell you that is so not the way to lose weight. As a matter of fact, that type of behaviour can make you gain weight because your body is holding on to anything it takes in.

Watch just one season of a show like The Biggest Loser and you will witness that it is never just about calories verses exercise.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Cook

I assure you I did not intend to offend you but I fear I have. But the fact still remains that our bodies are machines. And if we burn the calories we put in we won't gain weight. And if we burn fewer calories than we eat we will gain weight. These statements of opinion are quite possibly the most widely accepted truths about the way our bodies work. The idea of losing weight is simple. But, the act of losing weight is indeed difficult. What we put in to our bodies is equally important to burning calories. The diet has a tremendous effect on how our bodies burn calories. Which is why I offered the suggestion of figuring out our own personal diets using MyPyramid. You likened my previous comments to an unhealthy way to lose weight. Diet and exercise is the only healthy way to lose weight and that is what I was referring to.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Hoyum View Post
And if we burn the calories we put in we won't gain weight. And if we burn fewer calories than we eat we will gain weight.
Not true. Period. Not true. A calorie is not simply a calorie. There's so much more involved than just the calorie. If you eat 1000 calories of cookies and butter and burn 1200 calories, you won't lose weight not even if you burn 2400 calories a day. You have to eat for your body, you have to time your eating, you have to time your exercise. If calories in vs exercise out was a magic formula, we wouldn't be an obese society, people who stand on their feet all day wouldn't be obese, they'd be thin.

To Liz ~ Consult a physician, consult a dietician, don't just try the calories in vs exercise out. It won't work. WW's point system is a testiment to that. Various food added up to create a points total. It's not about the calories, there's so so so so many other factors.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
Senior Cook

The high fat low carb Atkins diet is actually a contridiction
to the calories in/calories burned method.
I can tell you from experience that it DOES work - I won't
comment on how healthy it is and I prefer a diet with
little or no red meat - mostly fish and vegetables (with lots of
Alcohol)

Liz if you don't know the basics of this diet - they recommend
consuming a very low amount of carbohydrates every day and
taking the bulk of your food from protein, dairy, even
fats like non-sugar ice cream etc.

A search for the Atkins diet will turn up a lot of information.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Thank you Mike. You really helped me prove my point. Adkins, The Zone, and WW all speak to types of food verses just counting calories.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Hi Liz,
Your gonna have to learn how to eat healthier. I'm going through the same thing. I reached a real low in my life health wise and had to make the decision to take control of my health and stop looking for easy ways out. I started about 4 weeks ago and the main thing is no fast food, limit your red meat, lots and lots of vegetables. I found that roasting my vegetables brings on a whole new flavor. Next no soda, I had no problem giving that up since I rarely drank it anyway. Lots and lots of water. I keep a gallon of water in the frige all the times and I usually drink a gallon a day. I also drink a huge glass of water before each meal, it makes me feel full faster when I eat. You say your down to 2 slices of pizza a week, that is 2 slices too much! No pizza and no potato chips. Next and this is very important is to find some sort of support system, either a close friend or as mike in brooklyn suggests join weight watchers.
My most difficult thing is exercise, I hate it! Right now I am walking in the evenings after dinner with my son.I can only do about 15 -20 minutes due to bad back, knees, etc., but in about a month my pool will be open again and I walk in the pool. In water I can walk over an hour without pain due to the support of the water holding my afloat. If you have a pool or know someone near by who would allow you to use theirs a few times a week I think you would enjoy that.
All in all it's up to you to make the decision to take control and do this for the long haul. It's all about eating healthier and the weight lose will come along with it. As I mentioned I started 4 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds and am already feeling better about myself. Remember you always can come to Discuss Cooking for support if you need advise or just to chat.
You can even PM me if you'd like, I check in on DC quite often through out the day. Good luck and keep us posted. - getoutamykitchen
well thanx i do try to drink water and about the exercise i hate it too!!but i do try ..in the night ill do small moves little dancing,walking but this its not everyday.I made up a STOP.i wana loose weight super bad so iam gona stop the fast food and make my lunch for work.i work everyday monday-sunday and sometimes one day off.8hours daily.so am gona do alot of veggies and salads yogurt and bars as snaks ! ..i have so much plans just to feel better about my self and its like [mmm] u try but if you think about it am not trying hard because my excuse is not eating alot but am still eating bad food! .....and the pool sounds great...ill make some calls ...:).....thanx sooo much
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
You are going to have to get tough with yourself, just as I am having to do.
I do want to ask, how old are you?
Being a female and now being 40, I have found it harder to get the weight off. I am walking a mile a day, 3 a day on Sat and Sun and eating more, but, it's fruits and veggies in small quantities to keep the metabolism going. Stop the sodas and drink water. Find a flavored water that you like. It really helps. I hated water and started drinking the tropical fruit Fruit20 and I really loved it. Stop any candy and such too. Chips are not good at all. Get something like dry cereal instead and watch how much you're eating.
Good luck!!
well iam young 19years old..i made up a decition to help me out..NO FAST FOOD.soda,ships,candy..ect.i wana loose the weigth and feel better thanx alot!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #18
Senior Cook

An advantage to exercise is not only the calories burned during the exercise.

Exercise will raise your metabolism and your body will continue to burn
more calories even after you finish exercising, also, exercise will increase
muscle cells which burns more calories than fat cells.

The simplest (and perhaps healthiest) exercise is walking - try walking for
30 min. at a moderate pace - increase your time and pace gradually.
Finding a walking club or walking partners is great encouragement for
you to continue and improve your walking. Good shoes are necessary.
I belong to 3 hiking/walking clubs in NYC and enjoy the company,
the walking and the being in nature.

Below is a link to a USA wide walking club
American Volkssport Association Walking Clubs and Walking Volksmarch Events

You can search on the internet for clubs in your area.

Below is a link to a walking newsletter at About.com
They have several pre-programed guides for building up your
stamina and distance and in general are a good source of info. on walking

Walking for Fitness - Weight Loss - Exercise
Old 04-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hi Liz,

Hope you are fine, it is really nice you realised that your diet habits are not good and that is the first good step !

Many people eat junk food and don't realise that day by day they are ruining their health.

I know how hard it is , and I know all the efforts it takes.
It is very easy to say don't eat this, don't do that.

What you have to change is a habit and changing a habit is much more than only talking about food. It is changing your behaviour.

For that you need to ask yourself the right questions, write them down and try to answer them honestly :

- Why am I eating that way ?
- Do I enjoy what I eat ?
- Why shall I eat healthier ?
- How long does it take me to eat a meal ?
- When am I eating so much ? (wich circumstances)
- Does it match with a feeling ? ( sadness, boredom , tiredness , hapiness ? )

Try asking yourself questions, try to undersand your behaviour.

Once you have found the answers, you would be able to avoid/control situation that lead you to eating in the wrong way.

My second tip would be to identify the sensation of hunger. everytime you want to eat something ? ask yourself " am I really hungry ? " do I really need to eat that ? or am I just greedy ? am I eating it only because it makes me feel good ? "

learn when you are hungry, really hungry and when you are not.

Of course you know very well the kind of food you need to avoid, try to discover new tastes, vegetables, fruits, new recipes. Take time to eat , relax , enjoy , try to take at least 40 min for your meal.

You can visit a dietitian who would help you to assess your daily needs , and make an individualized menu for you , so you can stick to it.

Let me know if my advices have helped you.

Wish you good luck and I am sure you can do it !

Take care
Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post

Below is a link to a USA wide walking club
American Volkssport Association Walking Clubs and Walking Volksmarch Events

You can search on the internet for clubs in your area.

Thanks for posting the walking club link - I just found one in my area and I'm going to check it out!