"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Hoo boy, me too. I've been putting it on and putting it off...time now to take it off. I've been on the stationary bike every day for two weeks, now, and started lifting weights five days ago. I know how to do this. I've also adjusted my eating habits. No grains or sugar, very little dairy and fruit, fruit only in the morning. Lots of salad and raw or steamed veggies and meat...organic beef, fish, free-range chicken...and the fruit of the chicken, eggs. Plus raw coconut oil. I'm still getting the meals organized into five or six small, rather than two or three big. Too much time between meals causes blood sugar crash. I'll let you know how it works...

Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I have been loosing 1-2 pounds a week and here is how it is working for me.
1) Writing everything down that passes my mouth
2) Having 5-6 small meals a day
3) Having anything I want as long as I know the calorie content
4) Making my evening meal no later than 6-8 pm on most nights
5) If I fancy pizza or fish and chips, having no fat veg soup, herbal teas and water rest of the day.
6) When I have noughty but nice treats, count them as one of my meals. ( Soon I am realizing, I rather have something savory and healthy which are much more filling)
7) Only weigh myself once a week
8) Limit the alcohol
9)and last of all I have learned to be patient. It goes on quickly but comes of slowly.
10) Ofcourse it goes without saying that exercise, walk or swim if you can.
Good luck every one!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #33
Sous Chef

I'd love to trade regimens with you, but I think I am probably twice your age, which changes a lot. I'm also a recovering alcoholic (can I say that here? Oh, well), and though I haven't had any alcohol in over twenty years, the physiological anomaly that appears to be responsible for alcoholism also makes me a carbohydrate junkie. So I have to be very mindful of my carbohydrate intake. I am also trying to build muscle as I lose fat, as I lost a lot of lean mass during chemotherapy a couple of years ago.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Hoo boy, me too. I've been putting it on and putting it off...time now to take it off. I've been on the stationary bike every day for two weeks, now, and started lifting weights five days ago. I know how to do this. I've also adjusted my eating habits. No grains or sugar, very little dairy and fruit, fruit only in the morning. Lots of salad and raw or steamed veggies and meat...organic beef, fish, free-range chicken...and the fruit of the chicken, eggs. Plus raw coconut oil. I'm still getting the meals organized into five or six small, rather than two or three big. Too much time between meals causes blood sugar crash. I'll let you know how it works...
Hi Gadzooks, sounds like you are doing very well and on the right track. I too like smaller meals and love carbs but as you say I have to limit carbs and eat more protein and veg. I am not a big meat eater but like lentils, dried beans and fish.
Let us know how you get on, take care.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Thanks, Fahriye! I will gladly accept your kind words of encouragement. I have not been a big meat eater for the past few years, either, but find I need the protein to re-build lean mass that was lost.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I have to watch that my blood sugar don't go to high. Gadzooks sounds like you are doing it right. I am going on the Dash diet. It is a healthy diet, and it will limit my salt. Also they say to drink something like low sodium v8 before a meal and it will help not to eat so much. I really have to do this and I am very motivated.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #37
Senior Cook

You have to have breakfast within 1 hour after wake up in the morning, and stop eating anything after 6 pm. I've done this for 2 years, and I lost 10 lbs.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

People can easily find weight loss pills-products or weight loss diet plans and kits from every nook and cranny. But before plunge in to any form of weight loss diet, sorted out some issues. Embarking on any diet products to lose weight it doesnít mean slashing down calories. For loss excessive weight you must cut down the calories but you canít compromise with your daily nutritional intake. Make healthier food selections like fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, and beans, low-fat or nonfat dairy products. Avoid foods that are high in sugars such as pastries, candy bars, pies and candy.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

I'm trying this LOGI method a friend recommended it. After a couple of weeks I'll tell you how it went.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Losing weight means having enough self-discipline, too. Good luck. You can do it! :)