I Want to Lose Some Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiiZz-LiiZz

Assistant Cook
helloo my name its liz , i need alot of advise from someone that can understand my problem i dont know how to eat healthy,it seems hard for me to stop eating fast food.Even doe i stooped chips & soda for about 3week, i cant loose the weigth.i try not eating heavy after 7pm.i try to eat cereal if iam really hungry.I move alot at work ex.walking. i drink water not as much but alot more then before.Before my meals were big and i could of ate 2 or 3 bags of chips a day :( & maybe finish a 2litter soda,[like 6 slides of pizza once a week],just big plates.So as now i do eat pizza but 1 or 2 slides.i keep on trying to loose weigth but it seems hard.My weigth is 238lbs if i believe my weight now its 235lbs,lost 3pounds seens i stoped eating big-plates and this was in a year because on may.2008 i was about 205lbs.Its super hard because for me a little efford means alot i dnt have much advise at home.soo if anyone can reply ill be very thankfull...[[i have a big stomach iam 5'7 238lbs]]

Hi Liz,
Your gonna have to learn how to eat healthier. I'm going through the same thing. I reached a real low in my life health wise and had to make the decision to take control of my health and stop looking for easy ways out. I started about 4 weeks ago and the main thing is no fast food, limit your red meat, lots and lots of vegetables. I found that roasting my vegetables brings on a whole new flavor. Next no soda, I had no problem giving that up since I rarely drank it anyway. Lots and lots of water. I keep a gallon of water in the frige all the times and I usually drink a gallon a day. I also drink a huge glass of water before each meal, it makes me feel full faster when I eat. You say your down to 2 slices of pizza a week, that is 2 slices too much! No pizza and no potato chips. Next and this is very important is to find some sort of support system, either a close friend or as mike in brooklyn suggests join weight watchers.
My most difficult thing is exercise, I hate it! Right now I am walking in the evenings after dinner with my son.I can only do about 15 -20 minutes due to bad back, knees, etc., but in about a month my pool will be open again and I walk in the pool. In water I can walk over an hour without pain due to the support of the water holding my afloat. If you have a pool or know someone near by who would allow you to use theirs a few times a week I think you would enjoy that.
All in all it's up to you to make the decision to take control and do this for the long haul. It's all about eating healthier and the weight lose will come along with it. As I mentioned I started 4 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds and am already feeling better about myself. Remember you always can come to Discuss Cooking for support if you need advise or just to chat.
You can even PM me if you'd like, I check in on DC quite often through out the day. Good luck and keep us posted. - getoutamykitchen

You are going to have to get tough with yourself, just as I am having to do.
I do want to ask, how old are you?
Being a female and now being 40, I have found it harder to get the weight off. I am walking a mile a day, 3 a day on Sat and Sun and eating more, but, it's fruits and veggies in small quantities to keep the metabolism going. Stop the sodas and drink water. Find a flavored water that you like. It really helps. I hated water and started drinking the tropical fruit Fruit20 and I really loved it. Stop any candy and such too. Chips are not good at all. Get something like dry cereal instead and watch how much you're eating.
Good luck!!

I too, have recently come to terms with the fact that I need to lose weight. I started WW three weeks ago and so far, having the meetings and guidelines have been very helpful. I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks and I'm the type of person who has ZERO willpower. I can't resist the good stuff (chocolate, pizza, etc).

If you really want to lose weight, you have to give up some of the things you indulge in, exercise and eat a healthier diet. There is no quick fix.

The number one thing I would recommend is to start your day with a healthy breakfast. It sets the base for your whole day and its importance can't be overstated. I eat a smoothie (loaded with FF yogurt, frozen fruit, soy milk, protein powder) and a piece of whole grain toast every morning OR I have an egg white/veggie scramble with fruit.

I don't keep many sweets in the house, I try to avoid temptation. Switch to diet soda and make it a sometimes drink, don't drink it daily. Replace the pizza with lean protein and veggies. Try small changes until you are ready to do more.

Good luck!

I am not a fan of WW at all. I know it works for some, but not for all. It's also painfully expensive in my opinion. I was watching Food Network Friday and they were advertising the 50 Million Pound Challenge and it looks interesting. It's free and you can start with cyber support and not have to go anywhere.

Another site to check is the actual Food Network site's Healthy Eating section. There are definitely people here who can give you tips but those sites will help too.

I found success with the Sonoma diet, it is a Mediterranean style diet, great food choices without feeling deprived. It also has a cookbook.
There are lots of "diets" out there, so look for one that YOU will like. A support system is also important. One can find that at WW, or online communities.
Good luck!

Hi Liizz - I feel sure more people will respond today. We do have members from all around the world, but, I'd say a large majority are here in the U.S. Your post, at 1:13 AM, was made while most of our members were asleep :LOL:

When it comes to losing weight we all really know what to do. Only I, only you, only "pick a name" HAS to have the willpower to do it. No one can make you have that willpower. Obviously, chips, soda, junk food, fast food...all of it has to go. You could do the one day a week "cheat day". That works for lots of people. On that one day you don't watch as closely, but, that doesn't mean you gorge either. You may have a couple slices of pizza, or a burger...but, only on that one day a week.

You just need to look for recipes now. Go to a Barnes & Noble, or other bookstore, and browse a few cookbooks that have healthier lifestyle recipes. Healthier recipes are still full of flavor.

Ultimately, only you can control what you eat. You have to make the decision to start eating healthier.

Last edited:
Loosing weight is as simple as eating fewer calories than you burn. The USDA has a good resource for figuring what we should be eating. You will be surprised by the results. It is called MyPyramid and it is the new version of the old food pyramid. You enter in your age, weight, height, sex and amount of exercise you get. It then calculates your balanced diet based on that information. If you increase your exercise, you should lose weight. I know all this because I recently completed an article called How to Get Rid of Stomach Fat. Read that if you would like, it has a lot more info than I have provided here. Or search for MyPyramid on Google. Good luck.

Loosing weight is as simple as eating fewer calories than you burn.
If losing weight was that simple we wouldn't be a society with more obesity than ever. It's not simple at all to lose weight. And there's no magic formula for anyone and that listed is certainly not a magic formula. Everyone's body is different and it isn't one thing or the other. According to your statement someone could eat nothing all day and run miles and miles and lose all they want. Anyone who's ever tried to lose weight will tell you that is so not the way to lose weight. As a matter of fact, that type of behaviour can make you gain weight because your body is holding on to anything it takes in.

Watch just one season of a show like The Biggest Loser and you will witness that it is never just about calories verses exercise.

I assure you I did not intend to offend you but I fear I have. But the fact still remains that our bodies are machines. And if we burn the calories we put in we won't gain weight. And if we burn fewer calories than we eat we will gain weight. These statements of opinion are quite possibly the most widely accepted truths about the way our bodies work. The idea of losing weight is simple. But, the act of losing weight is indeed difficult. What we put in to our bodies is equally important to burning calories. The diet has a tremendous effect on how our bodies burn calories. Which is why I offered the suggestion of figuring out our own personal diets using MyPyramid. You likened my previous comments to an unhealthy way to lose weight. Diet and exercise is the only healthy way to lose weight and that is what I was referring to.

And if we burn the calories we put in we won't gain weight. And if we burn fewer calories than we eat we will gain weight.
Not true. Period. Not true. A calorie is not simply a calorie. There's so much more involved than just the calorie. If you eat 1000 calories of cookies and butter and burn 1200 calories, you won't lose weight not even if you burn 2400 calories a day. You have to eat for your body, you have to time your eating, you have to time your exercise. If calories in vs exercise out was a magic formula, we wouldn't be an obese society, people who stand on their feet all day wouldn't be obese, they'd be thin.

To Liz ~ Consult a physician, consult a dietician, don't just try the calories in vs exercise out. It won't work. WW's point system is a testiment to that. Various food added up to create a points total. It's not about the calories, there's so so so so many other factors.

The high fat low carb Atkins diet is actually a contridiction
to the calories in/calories burned method.
I can tell you from experience that it DOES work - I won't
comment on how healthy it is and I prefer a diet with
little or no red meat - mostly fish and vegetables (with lots of
Alcohol):)

Liz if you don't know the basics of this diet - they recommend
consuming a very low amount of carbohydrates every day and
taking the bulk of your food from protein, dairy, even
fats like non-sugar ice cream etc.

A search for the Atkins diet will turn up a lot of information.

Hi Liz,
Your gonna have to learn how to eat healthier. I'm going through the same thing. I reached a real low in my life health wise and had to make the decision to take control of my health and stop looking for easy ways out. I started about 4 weeks ago and the main thing is no fast food, limit your red meat, lots and lots of vegetables. I found that roasting my vegetables brings on a whole new flavor. Next no soda, I had no problem giving that up since I rarely drank it anyway. Lots and lots of water. I keep a gallon of water in the frige all the times and I usually drink a gallon a day. I also drink a huge glass of water before each meal, it makes me feel full faster when I eat. You say your down to 2 slices of pizza a week, that is 2 slices too much! No pizza and no potato chips. Next and this is very important is to find some sort of support system, either a close friend or as mike in brooklyn suggests join weight watchers.
My most difficult thing is exercise, I hate it! Right now I am walking in the evenings after dinner with my son.I can only do about 15 -20 minutes due to bad back, knees, etc., but in about a month my pool will be open again and I walk in the pool. In water I can walk over an hour without pain due to the support of the water holding my afloat. If you have a pool or know someone near by who would allow you to use theirs a few times a week I think you would enjoy that.
All in all it's up to you to make the decision to take control and do this for the long haul. It's all about eating healthier and the weight lose will come along with it. As I mentioned I started 4 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds and am already feeling better about myself. Remember you always can come to Discuss Cooking for support if you need advise or just to chat.
You can even PM me if you'd like, I check in on DC quite often through out the day. Good luck and keep us posted. - getoutamykitchen

well thanx i do try to drink water and about the exercise i hate it too!!but i do try ..in the night ill do small moves little dancing,walking but this its not everyday.I made up a STOP.i wana loose weight super bad so iam gona stop the fast food and make my lunch for work.i work everyday monday-sunday and sometimes one day off.8hours daily.so am gona do alot of veggies and salads yogurt and bars as snaks ! ..i have so much plans just to feel better about my self and its like [mmm] u try but if you think about it am not trying hard because my excuse is not eating alot but am still eating bad food! .....and the pool sounds great...ill make some calls ...:).....thanx sooo much

You are going to have to get tough with yourself, just as I am having to do.
I do want to ask, how old are you?
Being a female and now being 40, I have found it harder to get the weight off. I am walking a mile a day, 3 a day on Sat and Sun and eating more, but, it's fruits and veggies in small quantities to keep the metabolism going. Stop the sodas and drink water. Find a flavored water that you like. It really helps. I hated water and started drinking the tropical fruit Fruit20 and I really loved it. Stop any candy and such too. Chips are not good at all. Get something like dry cereal instead and watch how much you're eating.
Good luck!!
well iam young :( 19years old..i made up a decition to help me out..NO FAST FOOD.soda,ships,candy..ect.i wana loose the weigth and feel better thanx alot!

An advantage to exercise is not only the calories burned during the exercise.

Exercise will raise your metabolism and your body will continue to burn
more calories even after you finish exercising, also, exercise will increase
muscle cells which burns more calories than fat cells.

The simplest (and perhaps healthiest) exercise is walking - try walking for
30 min. at a moderate pace - increase your time and pace gradually.
Finding a walking club or walking partners is great encouragement for
you to continue and improve your walking. Good shoes are necessary.
I belong to 3 hiking/walking clubs in NYC and enjoy the company,
the walking and the being in nature.

Below is a link to a USA wide walking club
American Volkssport Association Walking Clubs and Walking Volksmarch Events

You can search on the internet for clubs in your area.

Below is a link to a walking newsletter at About.com
They have several pre-programed guides for building up your
stamina and distance and in general are a good source of info. on walking

Walking for Fitness - Weight Loss - Exercise

Hi Liz,

Hope you are fine, it is really nice you realised that your diet habits are not good and that is the first good step !

Many people eat junk food and don't realise that day by day they are ruining their health.

I know how hard it is , and I know all the efforts it takes.
It is very easy to say don't eat this, don't do that.

What you have to change is a habit and changing a habit is much more than only talking about food. It is changing your behaviour.

For that you need to ask yourself the right questions, write them down and try to answer them honestly :

- Why am I eating that way ?
- Do I enjoy what I eat ?
- Why shall I eat healthier ?
- How long does it take me to eat a meal ?
- When am I eating so much ? (wich circumstances)
- Does it match with a feeling ? ( sadness, boredom , tiredness , hapiness ? )

Try asking yourself questions, try to undersand your behaviour.

Once you have found the answers, you would be able to avoid/control situation that lead you to eating in the wrong way.

My second tip would be to identify the sensation of hunger. everytime you want to eat something ? ask yourself " am I really hungry ? " do I really need to eat that ? or am I just greedy ? am I eating it only because it makes me feel good ? "

learn when you are hungry, really hungry and when you are not.

Of course you know very well the kind of food you need to avoid, try to discover new tastes, vegetables, fruits, new recipes. Take time to eat , relax , enjoy , try to take at least 40 min for your meal.

You can visit a dietitian who would help you to assess your daily needs , and make an individualized menu for you , so you can stick to it.

Let me know if my advices have helped you.

Wish you good luck and I am sure you can do it !

Take care

Back
Top Bottom