Indigestible foods/ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I'm interested in replacing parts of my diet with indigestible stuff so I can feel satisfied without exceeding my suggested calorie intake. One thing I've found out about is green banana flour which has a lot of indigestible fibre (resistant starch; that would turn digestible if the banana ripened) but I'm guessing it's difficult to buy and expensive and a hassle to make. Baking bread with it would be a hassle too; I guess I'd consider getting a bread maker. Maybe I could make tortilla chips from it for healthier nachos.

I'm interested in finding out about other ingredients like this which can provide a physical filling without adding unneeded calories (I'm already aware of sucralose and aspartame for sweetness).

Foods with high water content will also help you feel full.
Cucumbers, watermelon, zucchini, berries, celery, papaya, tomato, mushrooms, salad greens etc.
Adding flaxeed to your diet will add lots of fiber and they aid digestion. You can add them to baked goods, sprinkle on cereal, in yogurt or over salads.

I'm interested in replacing parts of my diet with indigestible stuff so I can feel satisfied without exceeding my suggested calorie intake. One thing I've found out about is green banana flour which has a lot of indigestible fibre (resistant starch; that would turn digestible if the banana ripened) but I'm guessing it's difficult to buy and expensive and a hassle to make. Baking bread with it would be a hassle too; I guess I'd consider getting a bread maker. Maybe I could make tortilla chips from it for healthier nachos.

I'm interested in finding out about other ingredients like this which can provide a physical filling without adding unneeded calories (I'm already aware of sucralose and aspartame for sweetness).

As you're in the British Isles join "Slimming World" or Weight Watchers if you want to lose/watch your weight rather than doing silly things like you suggest. They will teach you how to organise your diet so you eat properly (and tell you if you risk being dangerously under weight).

As you're in the British Isles join "Slimming World" or Weight Watchers if you want to lose/watch your weight rather than doing silly things like you suggest. They will teach you how to organise your diet so you eat properly (and tell you if you risk being dangerously under weight).

There's nothing silly about green banana flour or similar, just because you've not heard of them.

It does not sound like you're trying to starve yourself to me. You did just say to replace parts of your diet.
I can relate. I also try snack on high fibre and low calorie foods in between main meals. I have always loved food a little too much. I eat more than my husband and he is 1.93m tall. I don't even do it to lose weight. Have not been fat a day in my life. I've got very high cholesterol and it's genetic so I can't afford to stuff my face with fatty foods even if I don't gain weight.

I looked at this couple days ago in a thread about how to grind green bananas. Even though I could stand to shed a few dozen pounds, food(?) with no or very few calories isn't a route I want to take. Understand the appeal though.

• Sawdust springs immediately to mind. :)
  • I've heard you can eat your weight in iceberg lettuce and still starve to death. Not sure about that but a pound of the stuff is only about 60 calories. Skip the oil and use red wine vinegar for dressing and that only adds 2 calories per tablespoon.
  • Romaine lettuce is better for you but has about twice the calories, but two times practically none is still about practically none.
  • A whole bunch of celery weighs about a pound, chopped it will fill a 1-quart jar (or stomach) and totals about 60 calories.
  • Two carrots are only about 60 calories. A whole pound might be under 200.
Just a few random thoughts off the top of my head which won't be new information to anyone but all of the above appeal to me personally more than green banana powder.

You mentioned making tortilla chips from banana flour. Thought and read a bit about how you'd make banana flour at home; guess you would dry the bananas first and then grind or process the dehydrated banana slices into a flour somewhere between fine and very course. If the food processor won't do the trick, a molcajete might. Then to get to an equivalent of corn masa, what chips are made of, from the banana flour you would have to rehydrate and then fry. I don't know how that would turn out but since the point is to minimize calories, why not just dehydrate your green banana slices and use the dried banana chips in place of tortilla chips? but ... I don't think you're going to be too thrilled with the flavor of dried green bananas.

Since we're talking about banana chips. Most Carribean, South, and Central American countries have a tradition of fried bananas, usually plantains. I've often made Puerto Rican tostones the way Daisy Martinez taught us in her old "Daisy Cooks" TV show, but they are a long ways diet food. In case anybody's interested though, a you-tube link to Daisy's tostones follows. I miss her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWdxephX8w

"You are most likely to feel fuller after eating protein than other nutrients, including fiber, and one of the theories behind why higher-protein diets work well with weight loss is because it helps you not feel hungry," says Purdue University nutrition professor Wayne Campbell, PhD."

Try hard boiled eggs and low fat cheese for snacks and add more lean protein to your meals

I looked at this couple days ago in a thread about how to grind green bananas. Even though I could stand to shed a few dozen pounds, food(?) with no or very few calories isn't a route I want to take. Understand the appeal though.

• Sawdust springs immediately to mind. :)
  • I've heard you can eat your weight in iceberg lettuce and still starve to death. Not sure about that but a pound of the stuff is only about 60 calories. Skip the oil and use red wine vinegar for dressing and that only adds 2 calories per tablespoon.
  • Romaine lettuce is better for you but has about twice the calories, but two times practically none is still about practically none.
  • A whole bunch of celery weighs about a pound, chopped it will fill a 1-quart jar (or stomach) and totals about 60 calories.
  • Two carrots are only about 60 calories. A whole pound might be under 200.
Just a few random thoughts off the top of my head which won't be new information to anyone but all of the above appeal to me personally more than green banana powder.

You mentioned making tortilla chips from banana flour. Thought and read a bit about how you'd make banana flour at home; guess you would dry the bananas first and then grind or process the dehydrated banana slices into a flour somewhere between fine and very course. If the food processor won't do the trick, a molcajete might. Then to get to an equivalent of corn masa, what chips are made of, from the banana flour you would have to rehydrate and then fry. I don't know how that would turn out but since the point is to minimize calories, why not just dehydrate your green banana slices and use the dried banana chips in place of tortilla chips? but ... I don't think you're going to be too thrilled with the flavor of dried green bananas.

Since we're talking about banana chips. Most Carribean, South, and Central American countries have a tradition of fried bananas, usually plantains. I've often made Puerto Rican tostones the way Daisy Martinez taught us in her old "Daisy Cooks" TV show, but they are a long ways diet food. In case anybody's interested though, a you-tube link to Daisy's tostones follows. I miss her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWdxephX8w

You don't need a press, just use a pan or solid spatchula. Green plantains are starchy, but very ripe plantains, totally black skin, have converted that starch into sugar. Peel and slice about an inch thick on the bias and fry to golden brown, drain on paper towels and salt them while draining. You have just made Maduros.:yum: I bet that instead of salt, you could use Tajin.

"You are most likely to feel fuller after eating protein than other nutrients, including fiber, and one of the theories behind why higher-protein diets work well with weight loss is because it helps you not feel hungry," says Purdue University nutrition professor Wayne Campbell, PhD."
The same can be said for fat. I've been on a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet for the past three years. The thing about fat is that, unlike carbs and protein, it has zero effect on your blood glucose or insulin release. Plus it's a good source of fuel. I was completely astounded at how much weight came off so quickly (I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks, even eating 2500 calories a day) and, because of all the fat, I never once felt hungry.

People still believe fat by itself causes clogged arteries. It doesn't. Believe me. My cholesterol and blood work were better after three months on this diet than in the 10 years prior. It's only when fat is combined with simple carbohydrates that it becomes a problem.

Last edited:
The same can be said for fat. I've been on a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet for the past three years. The thing about fat is that, unlike carbs and protein, it has zero effect on your blood glucose or insulin release. Plus it's a good source of fuel. I was completely astounded at how much weight came off so quickly (I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks, even eating 2500 calories a day) and, because of all the fat, I never once felt hungry.

People still believe fat by itself causes clogged arteries. It doesn't. Believe me. My cholesterol and blood work were better after three months on this diet than in the 10 years prior. It's only when fat is combined with simple carbohydrates that it becomes a problem.

Interesting ....

What kind of stuff do you eat on a high fat diet? What don't you eat?

Interesting ....

What kind of stuff do you eat on a high fat diet? What don't you eat?

You know, Jenny, when I tell people "high fat" they sometimes get the impression I sit down at the table and eat a stick of butter, but nothing like that, and nothing really bizarre. :LOL:

It isn't too difficult to get a lot of fat in one's diet, since a gram of fat has more than twice the calories in a gram of protein or carbohydrate.

I lost just under 100 pounds eating like this. I gained some weight back over the holidays and winter months, but also because I moved somewhere where there wasn't a gym conveniently located.

Things I eat:
  • Fatty cuts of meat (ribeye, pork shoulder, chicken thighs, sausages, fattier fish, organ meats)
  • Vegetables, but I try to stick to mostly green varieties that grow above ground
  • Fruits, but I stick mostly to melons and berries, and I have to watch my quantities a little
  • Nuts, again watching quantities
  • Full fat dairy, including plenty of cream in my coffee
  • Homemade mayo
  • Creamy dressings and vinaigrettes
  • Dry red wine, coffee, tea.

I also cook with a lot of EVOO/avocado/coconut oil, and dress vegetables in oil as well.

Things I don't eat - or rarely eat:
  • Sugar (I suppose that's a given)
  • Lean meats, such as chicken breast. If I do, only with the skin on.
  • Rice, and most grains
  • Bread
  • Pasta
  • Potatoes
  • bananas
  • Some root vegetables
  • Diet soft drinks

Last edited:
Thanks for that list, Steve. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. and change up my diet - after I get back from vacation. :) Eggs are also on your list of allowable eats, right?

Try hard boiled eggs and low fat cheese for snacks and add more lean protein to your meals
When I switched to eating my biggest meal in the morning, I packed it with steamed greens, a grain and two eggs or other protein. I was a size 14 now a size 6. The point was to consume most of my food for the day by 2 p.m. Evening meal is often just the protein I make for others. I also eliminated bread, sugar and pasta. The weight falls off and the protein keeps you full. Almonds (about 10) are another good snack that curbs hunger. I also drink a glass a water with lemon or Apple cider vinegar 15 minutes before eating or if I am hungry.

I haven't stepped on a scale for years--i turn my back when I step on the scale at my Dr office. People have been telling me I am tiny lately--i am 5 ft 6 ". Not tiny, but I decided to measure my waist. Okay, I have a 22-1/2" waist, so I guess that's tiny for s/one my height and 58 yrs old.

I haven't stepped on a scale for years--i turn my back when I step on the scale at my Dr office. People have been telling me I am tiny lately--i am 5 ft 6 ". Not tiny, but I decided to measure my waist. Okay, I have a 22-1/2" waist, so I guess that's tiny for s/one my height and 58 yrs old.

Gosh! 22 inch waist does sound tiny. My waist is 28 inches on the dot.

After six times, I realized there was nothing wrong with my tape measure. My waist is 22-1/2 inches, if I suck in my stomach, it probably is 22 inches.

You are very small. I am 5 ft 10 and also slender. Gained a bit of weight in the past 5 years and have healthy curves for a change. Just look after yourself and make sure your weight loss is not health related like mine was. Look after yourself. Don't go fading away on me girl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom