Indigestible foods/ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[*]Sawdust springs immediately to mind. :)

I thought this was a joke but I've looked it up and it's an actual thing used in food products and basically exactly what I'm interested in; indigestible fibre. I bet the breads that incorporate it are pretty expensive but I'll look into making my own. Not sure where I could get food-grade cellulose/tree-flour though!

Again...

I'm not sure what your thinking here is.

There are plenty of low calorie foods that can give you proper nutrition while also staving off hunger.

If eating sawdust was a good idea, nutritionists and diet doctors would already be marketing it.

If you go that route, you might want to buy a box of Depends....

I've found suggestions that the wood pulp is processed to obtain "microcrystalline cellulose" which is available at £5/Kg if you buy 5 Kg but I'll keep looking.

5kg PURE Microcrystalline cellulose | eBay

Again...

I'm not sure what your thinking here is.

There are plenty of low calorie foods that can give you proper nutrition while also staving off hunger.

If eating sawdust was a good idea, nutritionists and diet doctors would already be marketing it.

If you go that route, you might want to buy a box of Depends....

It's not like I'm planning to sustain myself on nothing but damn sawdust. It's a mere ingredient in a bread requiring conventional flour which also requires additional ingredients to make a sandwich which is just one meal in day. There even companies adding it their products to increase fibre and reduce calorie content. I don't want to argue about this any more. You do you, I'll do me.

Or you could just buy store bought shredded cheese. They use cellulose to keep it from clumping. The store brands use the most cellulose.

I've found suggestions that the wood pulp is processed to obtain "microcrystalline cellulose" which is available at £5/Kg if you buy 5 Kg but I'll keep looking.

5kg PURE Microcrystalline cellulose | eBay

It's not like I'm planning to sustain myself on nothing but damn sawdust. It's a mere ingredient in a bread requiring conventional flour which also requires additional ingredients to make a sandwich which is just one meal in day. There even companies adding it their products to increase fibre and reduce calorie content. I don't want to argue about this any more. You do you, I'll do me.

Just because someone will sell you something doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat it.

You did come here for advice, yes? But you don't want to hear it. It sounds like you just want validation. Sorry but sawdust is not human food.

Why not try foods that burn more calories for your body to utilize than they contain to fill up on if a proper, healthy meal is not enough food? The list includes celery, grapefruit, lettuce and most leafy greens, watermelon, clear, fat free broth, cucumbers and pickles made without sugar, clear, calorie free beverages like black tea or coffee, water.

Seems better than eating sawdust.

I came here for information, not advice. Half of you people probably think monosodium glutamate is bad for you and buy into all kinds of anti-science, all-natural organic BS. If it's good enough the FDA (US) and FSA (UK) it's good enough for me.

The fact that Jenny thinks cellulose will cause incontinence suggests she's extrapolating from having heard of modified cellulose laxatives or is just basically clueless about fibre.

I came here for information, not advice. Half of you people probably think monosodium glutamate is bad for you and buy into all kinds of anti-science, all-natural organic BS. If it's good enough the FDA (US) and FSA (UK) it's good enough for me.

The fact that Jenny thinks cellulose will cause incontinence suggests she's extrapolating from having heard of modified cellulose laxatives or is just basically clueless about fibre.

Oh, so sorry for that mistake.

Several of us did give you information on foods that meet your criteria, but apparently you are not interested in those.

Having studied nutrition and food safety, I have never seen the FDA or USDA recommend eating sawdust. I am one of the most pro-science people you will find on this site, so don't pretend that disagreeing with you means that I/we are anti-science or irrational. We just know that there's no reason for people to eat what termites eat.

Beavers love to eat trees. It is the mainstay of their diet. After they get their fill of the cellulose, they build their homes with what is left. Two birds with one chew.

Some vegetable at naturally high in cellulose, that isn't the issue, it's adding more of it to your diet intentionally. The problem is that our bodies cannot digest the stuff and, thus, cannot get the nutrients that are locked up with the cellulose.

Yes some non soluble fiber is good, you need it but, too much is a bad thing and, overdone to the extreme could even lead to nutrient deficiencies. My concern is that you eat healthy, no overdo the insoluble fiber in an effort to loose weight and, harm your health in other ways because of vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused by an excess of cellulose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom